TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Tesla App Easter Egg

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jorobsand, Feb 9, 2019.

1. jorobsand

jorobsand Member

IMG_1300.JPG

Not discovered by me, but by a fellow community member. If you happen to be charging your battery when left with 121 miles, a dialog box appears in which you can select to turn "Time Circuits On". The app screen then changes to a whole bunch of Back to the Future references. Was discovered using a Model X, so not sure if this works on a Model S and Model 3 as well.

2. maximizese

maximizese Member

I assume it's for the MX only given the gullwing doors. Cool find as a BTTF fan. I've been to viewing of the movie at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery and attended the Hollywood Bowl Back to the Future night with the score played live by the LA Phil. Talk about hi-fi...no matter how much you spend on an amp and speakers it just won't be as good as a live performance.

3. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

4. jorobsand

jorobsand Member

Has been confirmed to work on the Model S. Turned the pic into a Model X and turned the P100D into a P88D. Also had another reference in the displayed firmware version.

5. Elja Trum

Elja Trum Member

Nice, 121 miles for the 1,21 gigawatts of electricity you need. :)

6. Ande

Ande Member

So it's about 195km (for those not stick with medieval measuring units)
    I wonder if the maybe the number, not the range is trigging it, and what happens if you have opted to see battery percentage, not range..

• Funny x 3
  7. jorobsand

jorobsand Member

Others have reported it works on Model X, Model S and Model 3, and that it works on iOS and Android. Does not require that the car is charging while at 121 miles, but if you open the app and hit the battery while the range is showing 121, that it will open up the Easter Egg prompt.

• Like x 2
  8. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Is that confirmed or does it work at 121 km for those of us set to metric? I don’t have the update yet.

“Medieval Measuring Units” LOL

9. st50maint

st50maint Member

My 2015 S 70D was charging and when I checked it had 122 miles.
    I stopped charging. I then turned on the heat to drain the battery of one mile of range.
    I now had 121 miles of range.
    I did not see the easter egg. I rebooted my phone and reestablished connection with the Tesla app.
    Still no Easter egg.
    Am I doing it wrong or is my car too old for it to work?

10. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

Woohoo.... Fireplaces....Atari games....now app Easter eggs...maybe now that we have those behind us we can get on to some of the features and improvements we’ve actually been promised and are waiting on.....:eek:

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  11. appleguru

appleguru Member

Did you tap on the battery icon when it had 121 miles?

• Like x 1
  12. st50maint

st50maint Member

Thanks, I did not touch icon.
    Will try again in the future.

• Funny x 1
  13. f205v

f205v Member

It also works at 121Km, tried it myself.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  14. aaron0k

aaron0k Member

Just curious who is claiming this discovery? Or was it 'leaked' by someone at Tesla?

15. Mr. PlugShare

Mr. PlugShare PlugShare Maniac & Active Member

Now for Tesla to make a 1.21 GWh battery!

• Like x 2
  16. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Can you imagine the range on that thing? It wouldn’t need a charge port. It would come pre-charged 100% from the factory and last the life of the car!

17. aaron0k

aaron0k Member

Is it really an "easter egg" if Tesla is telling you exactly where they hid it?

Maybe I'm bias; since I actually hunted for and discovered the first Tesla easter egg (holding down on the model ##'s). Since then, it seems most 'eggs' are leaked by Tesla themselves for cheap headlines.

Really wish they would focus resources on fixing/improving other areas of their software... v9 is pure caca. I guess that's why they had to make a Fart app. <SMH>

18. Craig-Tx

Craig-Tx Member

#18 Craig-Tx, Feb 13, 2019 at 6:19 PM
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 6:36 PM
    Confirmed to work on a model 3 and Android
    Lots of hidden detail in there.
    Fuel chamber: 300R
    The location is apparently the address of Puenta Hills Mall (where the mall scenes were filmed)
    The upcoming service time is obviously relevant
    P88D!
    The odometer 33062 is apparently what the odometer in the DeLorean read when it jumped to 1955
    The VIN number is interesting.
    - it all checks out for a 1981 Delorean, (except the check digit, so this is not a valid VIN)
    - the SN in the VIN (5261) is a nice touch. John DeLorean was born on Jan 6, 1925 (1.6.25 or 5261 reversed)
    The version is 1985.43 (Oct 26 would be week 43)
    I'm sure there is something significant about the "75lab77f". If I know software engineers they don't often pick number randomly. Any ideas?
    Ohh ... I see it. (Gah I hate l33t). It reads "TSLABTTF" (Tesla B.T.T.F.)

Attached Files:

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  19. f205v

f205v Member

I made a short video of the Easter egg at 121Km of range

• Informative x 1
  20. jorobsand

jorobsand Member

I am being careful not to claim the discovery myself. It was not leaked by Tesla but someone in a Facebook group I belong to discovered it randomly - just so happened to be in the app with the right circumstances (121 miles of range). He wasn't aware of how it even popped up (by clicking the battery icon) so was likely pure luck.

The Electrek article incorrectly credited me with the discovery despite my post being explicit in stating that I did not discover it.

• Like x 2