TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

New Tesla App is great

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by azred, Feb 10, 2017.

1. azred

azred Member

It does everything well. I can't imagine needing anything else. Unfortunately that means all of the alternative Tesla app developers will have a tough time selling their products. But maybe there is a market for an alternative Bolt App.

2. DaveT

DaveT Searcher of green pastures

Just downloaded the new app on my iPhone. I'm very imprsssed. UI and design is fantastic. Great job, Tesla!

3. Drekar

Drekar Member

#3 Drekar, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    Nice, but not much difference in functionality. Would like to see charging and usage stats. Downloadable info via My Tesla would be even better!

By the way, anyone see a small Tesla logo at the bottom left of your intro screen (I have an iPhone)? Doesn't seem to do anything. Clicking on it does nothing.

4. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

How about initiating a software update? Yeah, Tesla, looks nice but not a lot that is different besides layout and refresh look. No new functionality. As per usual, over hyped by Elon. Unless of course it is waiting on 8.1 to get new functionality.
    Seems to connect faster but could be my imagination.

• Like x 2
  5. 1051

1051 Member

As a Classic owner anything is welcome.

• Like x 1
  6. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

I hear all the complaints loud and clear that there's no dramatic new functionality, but I also think the app is a noticeable improvement over the previous app.

I love the widget. Making an iOS widget means that your device will periodically refresh the state, and now at a glance I can see battery levels from 30 minutes ago, making it far less necessary for me to wait for the app to connect to the car. Plus the UI is a huge improvement and provides more functionality from the same page. Fewer taps and waiting screens to get to what I want to do.

• Like x 1
  7. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Which it probably is. That's happened before.

8. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

What are you talking about?
    What widget?
    What is a widget, anyway?

Reading your post makes me feel like I do at the modern art museum. I don't see any art there. :)

Please help.

9. jdw

jdw Supporting Member

There is an iOS widget that you can add to the right swipe widget screen.

Nice idea, but entering the widget screen wakes the car up, which is kind of annoying if I only wanted to check the weather ...

• Informative x 1
  10. Larry

Larry Member

In using the climate control the car doesn't seem to turn off at the set temp. Instead the heat stays on driving up the temp. Does this happen to anyone else?

11. Old Man Mike

Old Man Mike Member

Really? Please show me how to display the current odometer mileage or car software version?

12. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Scroll to the bottom of the main menu screen.

• Like x 1
  13. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

Definitely better and I love the widget.
    It's a shame there was not much new vehicle control added. I'd have liked the ability to close/open all windows, and ditto for sunroof.

14. Old Man Mike

Old Man Mike Member

Excellent! I stand corrected and happy to see that I had missed it. Now if I could just set the charge by numbers (i.e. 85%) instead of guessing on the sliding scale, I would indeed retire my Remote S app.

15. MS16

MS16 Member

A new feature of the app is that remote access to the car is stopped while the car is in for service at the SC. The app displays an 'In Service' message. I guess this keeps the owner from honking the horn while the technician is working on the car or doing other annoying things to the techs.

Unfortunately it also locks out any visibility to the vehicle's status. I used to be able to monitor when the SC was getting close to completing work on my car by viewing when they were charging it or when it was in the wash station. The remote access feature now stays locked out until you pick up the car and they close the ticket, then the access comes back automatically.

• Informative x 1
  16. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

Does the SC lock out all the apps? Old version and third parties?

17. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.34 2448cfc

Usually they take the car offline so it shouldn't be available from any app. Earlier versions reported it was offline as well.

18. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

Okay so it's really a new procedure at the service center with the car and not something w the new app.

19. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.34 2448cfc

I think they've been following that procedure at the Service Center for a while but don't know when or if they always follow it. My car has been in for service since Thursday. When I tried connecting with the old app, it would say it couldn't connect. I don't remember the exact message but it did have a Retry button. Of course Retry didn't do anything if they still have it offline. They removed the button from the updated app, probably because clicking it didn't do any good.

20. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

I happened to like the old app better. There is no new functionality and I preferred the vehicle view better on the original app.