Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla App is great

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A new feature of the app is that remote access to the car is stopped while the car is in for service at the SC. The app displays an 'In Service' message. I guess this keeps the owner from honking the horn while the technician is working on the car or doing other annoying things to the techs.

Unfortunately it also locks out any visibility to the vehicle's status. I used to be able to monitor when the SC was getting close to completing work on my car by viewing when they were charging it or when it was in the wash station. The remote access feature now stays locked out until you pick up the car and they close the ticket, then the access comes back automatically.

Based on my experience last November, service had the ability to do this before when a repair order was open, but the app just wasn't able to distinguish. When I took re-delivery of my car after service the app wouldn't work, even after ensuring "mobile access" was enabled and doing reboots of the center and instrument clusters.

Based on my experience last November, service had the ability to do this before when a repair order was open, but the app just wasn't able to distinguish. When I took re-delivery of my car after service the app wouldn't work, even after ensuring "mobile access" was enabled and doing reboots of the center and instrument clusters.

With the old process, the app would say something like, 'Remote Access Off, to turn it on....' it made no mention of the vehicle being in for service. Remote access would also be restored when they were done working on the car and before they closed the ticket out, at least at my SC.

Now there is no ability to have remote access until you sign the paperwork to pick up your car, and the SC then closes the ticket in their system. At least that's my experience.

I hear all the complaints loud and clear that there's no dramatic new functionality, but I also think the app is a noticeable improvement over the previous app.

I love the widget. Making an iOS widget means that your device will periodically refresh the state, and now at a glance I can see battery levels from 30 minutes ago, making it far less necessary for me to wait for the app to connect to the car. Plus the UI is a huge improvement and provides more functionality from the same page. Fewer taps and waiting screens to get to what I want to do.
I'm kind of clueless here... I read that the new app has "widgets".
What's a widget? What do they do? How do I get one?

I'm kind of clueless here... I read that the new app has "widgets".
What's a widget? What do they do? How do I get one?
Widgets can be added or removed to the very left screen of the home screen, or the left screen of the Notification Center. If your phone does 3D Touch, you can also hard press the Tesla app to get to the widget.

It provides quick at-a-glance functionality without having to open the whole app. Tesla's widget shows your battery charge, and provides a climate, unlock, and start button.

Widgets can be added or removed to the very left screen of the home screen, or the left screen of the Notification Center. If your phone does 3D Touch, you can also hard press the Tesla app to get to the widget.

It provides quick at-a-glance functionality without having to open the whole app. Tesla's widget shows your battery charge, and provides a climate, unlock, and start button.
Great! Thanks very much!

Fewer taps and waiting screens to get to what I want to do.
This is what I like most about it. I pre-heat each morning but for some reason I always had to set temp., app turns off, set temp. again and it would work.
It's a shame there was not much new vehicle control added. I'd have liked the ability to close/open all windows, and ditto for sunroof.
I can "vent" sunroof. Are you looking for full open? Maybe a future update will give window control. That can be useful in a hot climate.
Kudo's to Tesla for a fine update!
TeslaApp.jpg

With the old process, the app would say something like, 'Remote Access Off, to turn it on....' it made no mention of the vehicle being in for service. Remote access would also be restored when they were done working on the car and before they closed the ticket out, at least at my SC.

Now there is no ability to have remote access until you sign the paperwork to pick up your car, and the SC then closes the ticket in their system. At least that's my experience.

Yes, that is how it worked for me too. It sounds like the new system is more obvious about what's going on, which is an improvement.

A major improvement for me is that it actually refreshes every time I open it. With the old version I would (about 50% of the time) open it, have to back out, then open it again.

I agree the UI is improved and performance is better, but there was no added functionality.

Living in Chicago, I was hoping for a greatly increased COLD WEATHER feature add, such as the ability to remote launch
steering wheel heat
passenger and rear seat heat

For summertime, the ability to
open all windows
open sunroof fully

Been using the app for few days now on iPhone 7.

Pros
  • Much better UI design, cleaner, fresher
  • More responsive than the old app
  • iOS widget is handy
  • Last updated status shows when the app was last refreshed
  • Key-less start with touch ID

Cons
  • Not much new functionality added (except for the widget and touch ID start)
  • More difficult to go back to main screen as the back button is now on top of the screen
  • The old fashion speedometer showing regen and acceleration is now gone
  • No possibility to start seat warming, mirror warming or back windshield warming

I hope this is just the beginning and new functionality will be added soon.

Reactions: bjelkeman
I hear all the complaints loud and clear that there's no dramatic new functionality, but I also think the app is a noticeable improvement over the previous app.

I love the widget. Making an iOS widget means that your device will periodically refresh the state, and now at a glance I can see battery levels from 30 minutes ago, making it far less necessary for me to wait for the app to connect to the car. Plus the UI is a huge improvement and provides more functionality from the same page. Fewer taps and waiting screens to get to what I want to do.

Does having the widget enabled mean the car won't sleep?

It does everything well. I can't imagine needing anything else. Unfortunately that means all of the alternative Tesla app developers will have a tough time selling their products. But maybe there is a market for an alternative Bolt App.

I agree with those that state that the updated App doesn't have any new functionality. It looks more modern but its basically the same. The one thing I noticed (but it may have been there but I just didn't notice before) is that you location also shows up on the map along with the cars location and appears to give you directions back to your car.

I agree with those that state that the updated App doesn't have any new functionality. It looks more modern but its basically the same. The one thing I noticed (but it may have been there but I just didn't notice before) is that you location also shows up on the map along with the cars location and appears to give you directions back to your car.
That functionality was in the previous version as well.

I think the updated app is just a new framework that is more modern and will allow them to easily add new functionality. I'm sure they'll be enabling new features in the coming months.

That functionality was in the previous version as well.

I think the updated app is just a new framework that is more modern and will allow them to easily add new functionality. I'm sure they'll be enabling new features in the coming months.

I guess that it what has happened too. We'll see in a few months. It could well be that the first version was built quickly by some contractor and they wants to redo it properly. A refactoring with feature parity is what you normally aim for as the first step.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker