Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla App is great

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
It does everything well. I can't imagine needing anything else. Unfortunately that means all of the alternative Tesla app developers will have a tough time selling their products. But maybe there is a market for an alternative Bolt App.

Nice, but not much difference in functionality. Would like to see charging and usage stats. Downloadable info via My Tesla would be even better!

By the way, anyone see a small Tesla logo at the bottom left of your intro screen (I have an iPhone)? Doesn't seem to do anything. Clicking on it does nothing.

Last edited:
I hear all the complaints loud and clear that there's no dramatic new functionality, but I also think the app is a noticeable improvement over the previous app.

I love the widget. Making an iOS widget means that your device will periodically refresh the state, and now at a glance I can see battery levels from 30 minutes ago, making it far less necessary for me to wait for the app to connect to the car. Plus the UI is a huge improvement and provides more functionality from the same page. Fewer taps and waiting screens to get to what I want to do.

Reactions: Bilen
There is an iOS widget that you can add to the right swipe widget screen.

Nice idea, but entering the widget screen wakes the car up, which is kind of annoying if I only wanted to check the weather ...

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
A new feature of the app is that remote access to the car is stopped while the car is in for service at the SC. The app displays an 'In Service' message. I guess this keeps the owner from honking the horn while the technician is working on the car or doing other annoying things to the techs.

Unfortunately it also locks out any visibility to the vehicle's status. I used to be able to monitor when the SC was getting close to completing work on my car by viewing when they were charging it or when it was in the wash station. The remote access feature now stays locked out until you pick up the car and they close the ticket, then the access comes back automatically.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
A new feature of the app is that remote access to the car is stopped while the car is in for service at the SC. The app displays an 'In Service' message. I guess this keeps the owner from honking the horn while the technician is working on the car or doing other annoying things to the techs.

Unfortunately it also locks out any visibility to the vehicle's status. I used to be able to monitor when the SC was getting close to completing work on my car by viewing when they were charging it or when it was in the wash station. The remote access feature now stays locked out until you pick up the car and they close the ticket, then the access comes back automatically.

Does the SC lock out all the apps? Old version and third parties?

Okay so it's really a new procedure at the service center with the car and not something w the new app.
I think they've been following that procedure at the Service Center for a while but don't know when or if they always follow it. My car has been in for service since Thursday. When I tried connecting with the old app, it would say it couldn't connect. I don't remember the exact message but it did have a Retry button. Of course Retry didn't do anything if they still have it offline. They removed the button from the updated app, probably because clicking it didn't do any good.