TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Tesla Blog on Summon Feature Posted

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by WestCoastP85D, Jan 10, 2016.

1. WestCoastP85D

WestCoastP85D Member

Summon Your Tesla from Your Phone | Tesla Motors

Look at the promised text below for cars to meet you places....

To Quote:

"Using Summon, once you arrive home and exit Model S or Model X, you can prompt it to do the rest: open your garage door, enter your garage, park itself, and shut down. In the morning, you wake up, walk out the front door, and summon your car. It will open the garage door and come to greet you. More broadly, Summon also eliminates the burden of having to squeeze in and out of tight parking spots. During this Beta stage of Summon, we would like customers to become familiar with it on private property. Eventually, your Tesla will be able to drive anywhere across the country to meet you, charging itself along the way. It will synch with your calendar to know exactly when to arrive."

2. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Pretty misleading blog post.

First, they say it "does the rest"--except they kinda don't mention anything about plugging the car in or unplugging it when you summon the car again.

Second, implying that eventually Model S's on the road right now will be able to drive anywhere across the country, charge itself, and meet you tells me the author is smoking crack. Elon himself admitted the Model S's current hardware is not sufficient for autonomous driving.

That's a huge leap to say "your Tesla will be able to..." when it clearly *has* to mean "eventually, Tesla vehicles will be able to..."

What the heck is going on over there at Tesla? They need someone to audit this stuff and dial it back a bit. People who don't know enough about the system to realize that the Model S's current hardware suite is insufficient for full autonomy are just being set up for a letdown.

3. Nevek

Nevek Overt Member

I had the same reaction when reading this release. There is no need to pump future tech so aggressively when what is being done here and now is newsworthy in its own right. This just provides disappointment for those who take the blog at face value and fodder for the naysayers who don't believe anything Tesla says as a matter of (misguided) principle.

4. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

It'll probably happen shortly after "my" Tesla does the quarter in 10.9.

5. wayner

wayner Active Member

For most of the world Summon doesn't exist :crying:

6. WestCoastP85D

WestCoastP85D Member

#6 WestCoastP85D, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    ...and right after the P85D has 691 horsepower.

7. peteyswift

peteyswift Member

I'm very appreciative of the new update. But I'm not even going to read the blogpost.

8. highedu

highedu Member

he is not saying the model s will do that, he is saying a future tesla will do that. In today's conference call he said that existing teslas don't have the hardware, but in 2 years they will.

be careful when jumping to assumptions buddy

9. cynix

cynix Member

The blog post says "your Tesla", not "a future Tesla". I don't have a future Tesla, so "your Tesla" can only refer to the one I currently have.

10. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Yeah. I don't think everything that a company makes public should be reviewed by a team of lawyers, but maybe have one guy who has a clue and is not part of the groupthink circle read it over to make sure it's not saying something stupid?

11. Gixxxerking

Gixxxerking Member

While I can understand why people would say the blog is misleading, from what I say being done at CES last week, it's not being the realm of possibility that current Model S vehicles can't be upgraded to include hardware updates that would allow for this. I say that after seeing several currently available cars from other companies modified with the addition of camera and other sensors. Of course there would be a price for it but I'm sue it would get plenty of business.

12. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

#12 S4WRXTTCS, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    The problem with the way it's written is he is saying EXACTLY that because of who he is talking to.

No one is jumping to conclusions that the current Model S will do that, but we're jumping to the conclusion that it's a horribly written blog entry. There is a big giant leap from one thing to the other thing so why have that? Then you have the tweets that adds unrealistic timelines to the fire.

My personal feeling is the blog entry plus the tweets is less about communicating to owners, and more about being a shot across the bow at regulation. To wake people up to the reality that autonomous vehicles are coming, and we need regulations in place. We tend to talk about it from a technical standpoint when the reality is regulation is just as an important part of it, and so far from a federal perspective I haven't seen any work done on this. The only thing I've seen so far is some autonomous driving regulations being discussed in California.

13. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

Agree that it is a poorly written post--Tesla has done well when its let the engineering speak for itself, but the explicit marketing can be clunky (remember "the end of range anxiety"). The Summon feature is impressive enough without having to over-market it, its a behavior that undermines the brand.

14. martinwinlow

martinwinlow Member

Part 2 of this feature (autonomous driving without any occupants on public roads) would actually make this feature useful for ordinary people (most folks don't own a house big enough that requires a significant walk from front door to garage) rather than just a (pretty awesome) gimmick. I am thinking about owners who have no charge capability at home; flat/condo owners or those living in terraced houses (eg 60%+ of houses in the UK). You could arrive home with passengers/shopping etc, stop outside your house to decant and then send off the Tesla to park somewhere else to charge. Then, when you want to go out again you just summon it back. There is still the plugging/unplugging issue of course, but perhaps the only really practical option to local authorities of inductive charging will sort that one out. MW

15. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

I think you're reading too much into Elon Musk's spiel. He exaggerates a _lot_, and in my opinion sometimes flat out lies. (Fortunately, he seems to be the only one at Tesla making outrageous claims.) You have to interpret anything he says, writes or may have written through an "intent filter".

16. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Nothing in that blog that I can see indicates that it was written by Elon.

17. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The blog post is, in my opinion, written to convey the message that the owner of a new Tesla two years from now will have the capability described in the post.
    Obviously current Teslas, brand new and years old, will never be able to autonomously (with no one in the driver's seat) drive themselves cross country, or even around the block.
    Just as obviously, all currently available Supercharger cables cannot plug themselves into a car and then disconnect.
    Two years from now Superchargers, at least some of them, apparently will have that capability.
    Elon thinks years ahead, sets ambitious goals and works relentlessly to achieve them, as we all know. The pace of technological change is rapid. Often his announced timeframe is overly optimistic but eventually he gets there. Best to set ambitious goals and achieve them later then expected rather then set a low bar and get there on time.

18. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

Perhaps, but it is high time that Tesla bought to their communications the same level of precision they employ in their engineering--the current level of squishiness hurts them unnecessarily.

19. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

It all goes back to the time they announced that the new Supercharger upgrade will allow all Tesla owners to charge at 120kW, but us A-battery folks aren't included in the word "all."

20. martinwinlow

martinwinlow Member

"Obviously current Teslas, brand new and years old, will never be able to autonomously... drive themselves cross country..."

I don't see why not. They would 'only' need rear radar added for the hardware to be capable (bearing in mind the rear camera is already there) - maybe not even that. Beyond that its 'just' software - oh, and probably an up-graded AP computer, of course. MW