Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Blog on Summon Feature Posted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The blog post is, in my opinion, written to convey the message that the owner of a new Tesla two years from now will have the capability described in the post.
Obviously current Teslas, brand new and years old, will never be able to autonomously (with no one in the driver's seat) drive themselves cross country, or even around the block.

I'm hoping for a AP 2.0 hardware retrofit!

I'll make my guess now - $15,000 for the retrofit. $4000 new.

If AP2.0 = Level 3 semi-autonomous highway driving (where I can take a nap), I'd pay $15k in a few years so I don't have to update my car.

If we're just talking more reliable Level 2 driving (drivers aid), I think it would be crazy to pay $15k for a better Level 2 system.

So what's the point to this blog entry? Perhaps to tell potential customers that they should hold off buying a Tesla to wait for the new features to be included?

I'm with the camp that feels that Tesla and Elon should stop with the wild over promising. It's going to bite them hard at some point.

So what's the point to this blog entry? Perhaps to tell potential customers that they should hold off buying a Tesla to wait for the new features to be included?

I'm with the camp that feels that Tesla and Elon should stop with the wild over promising. It's going to bite them hard at some point.

Generating breathless coverage in the automotive and popular press and on social media is what Tesla does in lieu of advertising. Given that a company like GM spends north of $3 billion per year on advertising, the generation of this free media is enormously valuable to their brand. The entire industry is reported to spend over $7 billion on online advertising alone, yet I think you could make the case than Tesla gets much better penetration online for free. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone between 20-30 who doesn't know extensive information about Tesla and Elon Musk.

yet I think you could make the case than Tesla gets much better penetration online for free. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone between 20-30 who doesn't know extensive information about Tesla and Elon Musk.

Agreed, but I think the products themselves are compelling enough that they could do away with the marketing over-reach and still garner similar coverage.