TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Tesla Charger Location Map

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Cosmacelf, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Tesla has a new zoomable map which shows hotels and other businesses which have installed HPWCs. Check it out at:

Find Us | Tesla Motors

It also shows service centers, stores and Superchargers. Presumably this is a follow on to their program where they will either give or discount HPWCs to businesses that install them for all to use.

2. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Very useful, thanks for posting.

3. Owner

Owner Active Member

Love this. Will be very helpful finding hotels in the future.

4. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Great idea. The small circles indicating HPWCs aren't identified in the key, though, so without clicking on one you wouldn't know what it is. I'd also like to see them publish a list of participants in the destination charging program by state as the program grows. It would be much easier to scan down a list of hotels, etc. than clicking on each one on a map. Both the map and proposed list are an incentive for hotels to participate and get their name in front of Tesla owners looking for a place to drive to.

5. Lump

Lump Active Member

Well done, touchscreen should have a shortcut to this site.

6. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

I charged at one of the resort chargers the same day it was installed, glad to see it on here.
    (Nonantum Resort, Maine)

7. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

Finally!!

8. callmesam

callmesam Member

Love this feature! Begged Jeremy Snyder at Tesla to get this on our onboard map, but glad to see it anywhere!

9. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

They do. Go here instead: Find Us | Tesla Motors and change the filter to charging partners.

10. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Very useful to have an interactive map for trip planning.

For the Tesla Corp. lurkers here: well done... thank you for this.

11. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Strange, using the "find us" link from the OP didn't give that option, it went to a map page and "charging partners" wasn't an option to be checked. The "find us" link that you gave is in list form as I requested in my post and does have that option!

12. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Yeah, I can't find a way to get to that webpage through the Tesla website. Only through that specific link. Hope this comes to the Nav System soon.

13. iffatall

iffatall Member

So, does 'Model S Connector' mean HPWC?

Also, for some, it says - for guests only. For those that it does not specify this, does it mean it's open for all?

14. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

The Bedford Village Inn, in NH, is quite farther than I thought!

15. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

It would be nice to have this page, and the rest of the TM site, to be user friendly with the browser in the Model S.

16. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

It's a good idea but it also drives home the fact that there simply aren't very many hotels with a "Model S connector", especially outside of California. The are 2 total in the Pacific Northwest.

Something like plugshare is a better choice as it also shows j1772s and chademos (hopefully the adapter ships soon). They do seem to be on plugshare for the most part (though the one at Sun River, OR isn't). Unfortunately, I still don't see a way to search plugshare/recargo for hotels on Android or the website. I've heard it's available on iOS though.

17. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

I think you're missing the point. It's not intended to take the place of plugshare. Of course plugshare will show many more places to charge. This is to publicize Tesla's destination charging program of HPWCs installed at destinations. Hotels or other destinations support Telsas, we support them.

18. EVSteve

EVSteve 110% Solar Powered

Say someone wasn't a business but had a HPWC online outdoors accessible 24/7 would it be appropriate to request listing on this map?

19. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

#19 Larry Chanin, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    Yes, it means HPWC.

It would be wise to call the hotel in advance. Access to the charging equipment is at the hotel's discretion and is subject to change. I wouldn't unduly rely on this simple Tesla map for the details of the hotel's charging policy. Some hotels require that only overnight guests will have access to their charging equipment. Other hotels have their charging equipment as part of the valet parking operation. Usually there is a fee for valet parking, but in some cases the fee is waived if the guest gets their parking ticket validated at the hotel's restaurant.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Steve,

One can always ask, but I believe these "charging partners" are part of Tesla's Destination Charging Program. Tesla has minimum criteria regarding which destinations qualify for the program. It appears that for the most part Tesla is starting with qualifying luxury hotels/resorts and probably has a minimum number of HPWCs to qualify as well.

Larry

20. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Tesla doesn't seem to be consistent with its terminology. I see the web site no longer calls it HPWC (High Power Wall Connector), it's now just called Wall Connector. But this new charging map calls it Model S Connector as you pointed out. That seems unwise, as they will have to change the name again when the Model X comes out.