TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Tesla Fatality - Single Car Accident.

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by MattMDK, Feb 8, 2015.

1. MattMDK

MattMDK Member

2. Puff

Puff Member

It's in the press. I did some searching. Looks like local news reporting it. Speculation of a roadster as well... so maybe you posted this in the wrong forum.

Unless the investigation finds the car to be at fault I don't find the Tesla part to be relevant. Replace Tesla with (any other manufacturer).

That link along with charitysmith.org isn't working for me at the moment.

3. Puff

Puff Member

link is working now.

4. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

Yes, a quick google sais that he was driving his roadster so probably should be moved to another subforum.

5. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

What a great way to exit, this site claims the Mercury News stated he was having late night fun at a restaurant before that, but the info in not on the Mercury News site, so given that and this site's name, I'd that with a grain of salt:

Crash Video Files Los Gatos, California | CrashNegligence.com

RIP

6. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#6 wiztecy, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    I personally haven't come across a credible source that identified the vehicle in the accident was a Tesla Roadster. Peter owned a '13 Model-S. There was one stray comment in the Mercury News from a name of ' guest' who mentioned it was a Roadster.

Sad to hear a life was lost no matter what vehicle. Peter seemed like a fun, adventurous, and outgoing individual. Sad he left behind a wife & children.

My condolences to the family.

From Peter's FB page:
    [​IMG]

7. MattMDK

MattMDK Member

A simple search of the victims Facebook page shows he owned a Model S.

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

#9 Doug_G, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    ...and a Roadster. (Edit: someone asked me to check; I had another look and can't find that information again.)

Don't trust the news reports - they're thin on details and reporters get details massively wrong at the best of times.

I wouldn't be surprised if he had a heart attack while driving. I knew a couple of people who died that way. One of them crashed into a telephone pole but not hard - he was already dead or dying when it happened.

9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Yes, in a low speed single car accident, driving a very safe car like a Model S, it seems highly likely that the cause of death was not related to the accident.

10. MattMDK

MattMDK Member

It seems highly unlikely that an obituary, most probably written by his family, would list the cause of death as a "single car accident" if that wasn't the cause. Peter Kleis Obituary - San Jose, CA | San Jose Mercury News

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

They very well might not know the actual circumstances of his death. It takes a while to do an autopsy, assuming one is done.

Very sad in any case.

12. MattMDK

MattMDK Member

I'm fascinated that I made my original post under Model S subforum but it appears the entire thread was moved to the Roadster subforum when there is no evidence that he was in a Roadster. His cover photo on his facebook page is a model S, and he appears to be sitting in a model S in the photo used for his obit. I'm all for defending Tesla and love my model S more than any other car I've owned but don't understand the blind defense of the car that happens in this forum. It is inevitable that fatalities will happen in the model S, my post was simply pointing out the existence of one of them.

13. dennis

dennis P85D

While Shannon is a 35 mph residential road, it is a narrow, twisty downhill run to Short Rd. and the speed limit is often exceeded. His car was found in the drainage ditch near the intersection with Short Rd. The accident happened around 1 am. There are many possible scenarios...

14. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

#15 wk057, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    Definitely not a Model S in the pic. The Model S doesn't have oh-s**t handles, along with other giveaways that it isn't a Model S in the obituary pic.

As for the rest, I don't know the man or have any details on whether it was an S or not in the accident.

15. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Given the ambiguity over the car model I have moved the thread to the Tesla Motors section.

16. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I moved the thread after two members noted it was a Roadster and the thread wasn't censored, just moved to a more relevant area. Please don't give me the "blind defense" fanboy implication.

BTW, you're factually wrong as the poor guy is NOT photographed sitting in a Model S.

17. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The photo of Mr. Kelis in the article linked to by the OP shows him sitting in a car that is definitely not a Model S. The door panel is very different from an S and there is a grab handle above the window that no Model S has ever been built with. He appears to be sitting in the left rear seat of the car, not the drivers seat.

18. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Am I the only one finding the argument in this thread over which kind of Tesla it was a little distasteful?

19. dennis

dennis P85D

Text to me from his neighbor: "His daily driver was a Model S."