TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Tesla Full Glass Roof & Rear Liftgate Sunshades

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Speedr117, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Speedr117

Speedr117 Member

I'm 99% sure these are new, but I want to apologize in advance if they've already been mentioned:

Model S Fixed Glass Roof Sunshade

Model S Rear Liftgate Sunshade

I've only ever seen these for the sunroof version of the car. So far, heat hasn't been a problem here in Florida, but maybe come July and August I'll change my mind.

Not sure how visibility will be out the back window with the rear tailgate.

2. croman

croman Active Member

Those aren't new. I have the sunshade. Its great. Visibility is diminished but my kids' eyes are shaded. Its not like the rear view is that great anyways with the middle seat headrest blocking most of the key areas. I use the rear view camera 100% of the time to ensure I have a good rear view.

I like it better than tint because while tint is clearer, I can remove it to get extra solar load in the winter and put it back (in 10 seconds) during the rest of the 9 months of the year. Tesla gives a storage pouch.

The fixed glass sunshade debuted on or around April 2017 (I got my all glass roof'd car in Dec 2016 and the first ones were delivered in November, I think).

• Informative x 1
  3. Speedr117

Speedr117 Member

Thanks. The back one too? Can you see through it?

4. croman

croman Active Member

I meant I only have the rear sunshade (instead of tinting that window). I can see out the back but it is partially obscured (details are less present but you can easily see where vehicles are which is all I use). I primarily use the rear cam to actually scan my rear view, so the sunshade isn't really blocking my view at all.

I have no experience with the glass roof sunshade because the tint is more than adequate for me. I've had my car 16 months and while solar load from the windshield is an issue (and side windows if they are untinted) during the summer, the roof doesn't contribute that much.

• Informative x 2
  5. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

The glass is so heavily tinted that I'm not sure why this is necessary.

6. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Rocket Scientist

I have one as well. I keep it off in the winter and it's back up for the summer now. It does keep the interior cooler and less sun glare in the eyes for backseat passengers as well.

7. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Rocket Scientist

I bought the back one, but haven't put it in yet. I'm waiting until we get above 100 degrees before I start using it. That will be another couple of weeks.