Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Headlight video from Samsung

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What makes you say that?

Because the US is very archaic in their headlight standards / rules. I didnt even watch the video, but assume it is similar to what has been available on BMW / Audi / Porsche for quite some time, with some form of tunneling, etc.

If I remember, @UncertainTimes also has BMW ownership history like I do, so is fully aware that BMWs have done "fancy lights" for years (more than a decade, at least), with all sorts of cool features like automatically creating a tunnel around the car in front of you, changing the shape of the light to not blind the oncoming car, etc.

Never allowed on US BMWs, even if you bought all the appropriate packages. You had to basically access the cars "computer registry" and "hack" turn it on if you wanted to use those features, even if you bought them, in the US.

Thats likely why @UncertainTimes says that. Until the US government changes the headlight rules, none of that stuff will be enabled in the US, and they havent been in any hurry to do so (as I said, fancy lights have been available for more than a decade, from other manufacturers, and no changes so far to rules.)

What makes you say that?

The U.S. regulators at the NHTSA who regulate such things move about as fast as a stick mired in 50W oil in Alaska in the winter. It is a decades old problem. About 20 years ago, I had an email conversation with one of their head bureaucrats over their lack of acceptance of European style lighting and gave up. They are hopeless Not Invented Here types.

Fortunately the independent IIHS (Headlights) has recently started exposing some of the lousy headlights that have been foisted on the motoring public. I think their efforts have really helped push the auto makers into providing better products. Last I looked, the Model 3 actually rated fairly well.

The U.S. regulators at the NHTSA who regulate such things move about as fast as a stick mired in 50W oil in Alaska in the winter. It is a decades old problem. About 20 years ago, I had an email conversation with one of their head bureaucrats over their lack of acceptance of European style lighting and gave up. They are hopeless Not Invented Here types.

Fortunately the independent IIHS (Headlights) has recently started exposing some of the lousy headlights that have been foisted on the motoring public. I think their efforts have really helped push the auto makers into providing better products. Last I looked, the Model 3 actually rated fairly well.
This same mentality applies to the law makers trying to regulate autonomous driving, crypto, internet access, and technology in general. Scary isn’t it.

Reactions: Gasaraki and wws
Because the US is very archaic in their headlight standards / rules. I didnt even watch the video, but assume it is similar to what has been available on BMW / Audi / Porsche for quite some time, with some form of tunneling, etc.

If I remember, @UncertainTimes also has BMW ownership history like I do, so is fully aware that BMWs have done "fancy lights" for years (more than a decade, at least), with all sorts of cool features like automatically creating a tunnel around the car in front of you, changing the shape of the light to not blind the oncoming car, etc.

Never allowed on US BMWs, even if you bought all the appropriate packages. You had to basically access the cars "computer registry" and "hack" turn it on if you wanted to use those features, even if you bought them, in the US.

Thats likely why @UncertainTimes says that. Until the US government changes the headlight rules, none of that stuff will be enabled in the US, and they havent been in any hurry to do so (as I said, fancy lights have been available for more than a decade, from other manufacturers, and no changes so far to rules.)
Stupid me paid extra for fancy “Full LED” headlights twice. Basically just auto highbeam and just as bad as Tesla’s implementation. I don’t think aftermarket coding ever accomplished full capabilities. Pretty sure if and when full functionality comes BMW will definitely make you pay a subscription service for it.

Stupid me paid extra for fancy “Full LED” headlights twice. Basically just auto highbeam and just as bad as Tesla’s implementation. I don’t think aftermarket coding ever accomplished full capabilities. Pretty sure if and when full functionality comes BMW will definitely make you pay a subscription service for it.

I paid for it 6 times actually (3 times each for my wife and I, lol). I got it coded on, on my 2016 435, and my wifes 2016 X5D. I had one of the coders who specifically did that stuff do it for mine. I coded other stuff on myself, but the lights were complicated. We tested it by driving behind and in front of each other, etc and they seemed to be working properly.

With that being said, I bought it again on my wifes current X3 but did not have it coded on. I liked the fact that the lights moved when you turned around corners when you got the upgraded packages.

I knew what I was buying though (or renting, since these were all leases).

NO. The new headlights are regular projector LED headlights. The Matrix LED headlights shown in Europe and this Samsung video are not legal in the US.
I'm not sure this is accurate. M3 uses some sort of matrix technology.

Though it may not be yet legal in the USA, matrix features can be (de)activated via software. Seeing this headlight in person, I can assure you that there is some matrix technology, and that these are not "dumb" projector headlights.

Here's something that can help: