Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor New Tesla Keyed and Vandalized

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see a few people mention dash cams but I wonder how it really helps in practice.
Let's say you're lucky and the footage you get is actually so good you can get a frame with the face of the perpetrator. I suppose you go to the police, tell them you have evidence of who did this, give them a print out and... you expect they will be going after the perpetrator?

I've read many postings of people catching thieves in the act (they steal a laptop, and get their shot taken by the embedded camera and automatically uploaded to the rightful owner's cloud account), only to be disappointed by the response of the authorities for such "petty crime". Apparently there is no resources to assign to these cases, so it's a "deal with your insurance, we have other bigger fish to fry here" expectation at this point.

Where I live the police has explicitly stated they will NOT respond to home burglar alarms anymore. If it doesn't pass a certain "criminal threshold" it looks like you're out of luck.

-- Greg

This is so upsetting and makes me think about where I park my cars from here on out. I do believe in karma though. Premier thank you for sharing the photos. You guys did a great job on the paint protection and photosync on our P85+. We also love the screen protector you put on for us. There's no more fingerprints I have to deal with anymore.

Makes me want to get a dashcam installed. Anyone "have a guy" in the area? My car doesn't have the 12V in the headliner, so it's not an easy install.

Installing a dashcam without the 12v in the headliner is very easy. There are dozens of threads on it here, including mine:

Yet another hardwired Dashcam install -- 100% reversible/no splicing/no tapping

Be sure to see the end of the thread for an improvement on my install from another user that makes it even easier.

- - - Updated - - -

Can the OP shop post a ballpark figure for what it would cost to do a ClearGuard Nano wrap like was done here?

That is amazing that there was no underlying damage at all. I know it's expensive, but now I'm considering it.

Installing a dashcam without the 12v in the headliner is very easy. There are dozens of threads on it here, including mine:

Yet another hardwired Dashcam install -- 100% reversible/no splicing/no tapping

Be sure to see the end of the thread for an improvement on my install from another user that makes it even easier.

Right, except that "very easy" in this case would involve an inexperienced amateur ripping apart their $100k car. No thanks :)

I've been keeping up on the various threads, but they're still a bit more than I want to tackle.

That is correct, as we have stated this is a customer's car. He brought this to us after realizing it was severely damaged and had already contacted the insurance company because he thought there was damage under the paint protection film. The estimate for repair was going to cost the insurance company $5000 to repaint and blend the doors. Had this car not have the clear bra on there, he would have been down 2 weeks without the car whereas we replaced the bra in one day's time.

Sorry to see you think this is a "scare tactic" from us. We would like to make known some very important points here:

1. We are an clear bra + window film installation company based solely in Fremont, CA
2. By us posting this, it does not benefit us by scaring someone to get the clear bra done who may be hundreds or thousands of miles away from us
3. We posted this to show the efficacy of today's paint protection film product (ClearGuard Nano) and how it saved the owner's factory paint.

Maybe asking a dumb question but thought the clear bra film only covers a quarter of the hood? Looks this is full hoof wrap?

Did the customer wrap all the doors too?

What was the original cost of the film?

For repair I imagine, for the areas that can self-heal it's just applying heat and a nominal labor charge, for the other areas is it a full replacement which is the same as the initial cost?

Curious how it works.

Thanks!

Maybe asking a dumb question but thought the clear bra film only covers a quarter of the hood? Looks this is full hoof wrap?

The stock OEM (and no longer offered) coverage did only cover 1/4 of the hood. Many owners have the hood, front clip, or entire car wrapped. Prices vary greatly depending on film used, coverage desired, and experience of the installer.

The "self-healing" aspect is for minor scratches and impact damage. I seriously doubt it could recover from a keying such as this. You'd need to have it pulled off and re-installed, just as the OP did.

The stock OEM (and no longer offered) coverage did only cover 1/4 of the hood. Many owners have the hood, front clip, or entire car wrapped. Prices vary greatly depending on film used, coverage desired, and experience of the installer.

The "self-healing" aspect is for minor scratches and impact damage. I seriously doubt it could recover from a keying such as this. You'd need to have it pulled off and re-installed, just as the OP did.

That's correct! Since the customer already authorized us to remove the film, we went ahead and did a test on the film to see how much would repair itself with heat. Surprisingly, about 1/3 of those marks actually went away. Unfortunately, that still leaves much permanent damage on the film. This Tesla was fully protected, so all panels that were damaged were replaced in one day.

Had this needed paint repair, it would have taken close to 2 weeks.

I was not aware of these full wraps when I bought my car two years ago and just had the Tesla package installed. Sure enough, stone chips up on the hood beyond where the film ends. I drive all year including winter where I get a lot of road sand/salt mix flung at me on my 45 mile (one way) commute. Next time I'm going with something like this.

Are certain colors better to wrap then others? For instant heard light colors like white forget it cause you'll see seams and guess white is also easier to repaint. But for dark cars wraps work will cause they "blend" into the color nicely.

So in this case the old film is removed and the new one applied so is that the equivalent cost as if you bought a new one? Or is some removal/repair fee added?

Are certain colors better to wrap then others? For instant heard light colors like white forget it cause you'll see seams and guess white is also easier to repaint. But for dark cars wraps work will cause they "blend" into the color nicely.

So in this case the old film is removed and the new one applied so is that the equivalent cost as if you bought a new one? Or is some removal/repair fee added?

They are all the same, but there are certainly things to note:

1. on black, imperfections from installation or the film will be very visible - so be sure to pick out the right company to do the work. Experience counts - many companies actually outsource their paint protection film work because this is a craft that takes many years to master. Look out for companies that did not have much history in paint protection film installation....then all of a sudden this service is added.
2. on white - if you install it to a partial hood for example, you will see a dirt line that is quite visible on this color. Another note is paint protection film, though clear, will add a slight off white tone, so this is another reason we push our customers with white cars to do the full panel vs. a partial.
3. Experience experience experience - as noted on #1 above, it is imperative to find a company that can do good work. Here are just a few examples we see on a regular basis:

$440,000 Porsche Carrera GT damaged from bad clear bra installation
Bad Clear Bra on CGT In Need of Replacement - 6speedonline.com Forums

$300,000 Lamborghini SV damaged from bad clear bra installation:
Poor Lamborghini SV - Clear Bra Gone Wrong - 6speedonline.com Forums

My brand new 7 day old black Model S was just keyed in a parking lot......
keymark1.JPG
keyedmark2.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Two large key marks on my car tonight. A parking lot in a very nice neighborhood in Danville....

keyedmark2.JPG
keymark1.JPG