Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla luggage - didn't see that coming!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hah - you're all suckers. Here's an identically sized rolling duffel bag for $14.00 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Protege-32-Expandable-Rolling-Duffel-Bag-Black/11069689

so in essence, you're paying $136 for the Tesla logo. Plus probably another $60 in shipping LOL enjoy!!!

I just shake my head at this... You can't compare anything Wal-Mart sells with anything that anyone else sells if your even remotely concerned about quality and durability. Wal-Mart is where you go to get something your only going to use one or a very limited number of times and you do not care if it doesn't last.

In the interest of full disclosure I loath Wal-Mart and refuse to shop there and haven't even been inside one of their stores in at least a year and I haven't bought anything from them for longer than that...

Jeff

Same size, yes. Same quality? Doesn't appear to be so. Enjoy your WalMart version!

Yes, but I can buy 11 bags for your 1 bag!! When one bag goes kaput, I move onto the next bag. I bet I could make 11 bags last longer than your 1 bag! :p (well, technically I guess I could go buy 11 Nissan Versas for 1 fully loaded P85, but would I trade in my P85 to go through 11 Nissan Versas instead? NO. so I'm rendering my own argument completely useless).

Just got it. Don't have the Walmart version to compare but it's a nice bag. Like most branded items I'm sure the exact same bag could be had for 50% less maybe but you know the price when you buy it so no surprises.

Last edited:
Here's another data point - REI carries a lot of rolling duffel bags and they are pretty much priced well above Tesla's, even the small ones. REI almost always carries top quality stuff. Not that this says anything about the quality of the Tesla bag, though...

I used to work at REI. Their duffle bags will last 30 years with tons of abuse. They are so overbuilt (or were about 10 years ago).

Just got it but haven't tried to "fit it".

It's a very high quality bag. None if that $20 discount store crap.

High quality zippers, handles, wheels, bag material.

It comes with an extension zipper that adds about 1.5" all around in height.

I do wish it had an extendable pulling handle though. You now pull it by the bag grip.

Nice bag. I used it on a recent trip. You have to be careful. If you overload it, you'll have difficulty putting the "top" back on the bottom trunk. Also, when it was packed, it caught on the carpet on the lip of the lower trunk, and now the plastic rivet that holds the carpet down has pulled out. Still a nice overall solution. I'm glad I got it.

Now that we have front & rear Tesla luggage available, it reminds me of the 1950s & '60s when luxury automobiles came with (or offered an option) of factory fitted luggage. Ferrari and Mercedes did some amazing factory luggage options:

1964 Ferrari 500 Superfast Series I:
superfast-luggage.jpeg

1959 Mercedes-Benz 300SL
300SL.jpg

1955 Mercedes SL
5122317439_7056332be5_o.jpg

... 2013-14 Tesla Model S:
Screen Shot 2013-07-04 at 3.04.36 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-07-04 at 3.02.03 AM.png

I love the functionality, but not sure the beauty of it will stand the test of time like some of those others! :)