Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Marketing Email

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

beths11

THE LONG RANGER
Apr 30, 2013
Molalla, OR
I received this email today and am a bit confused.

"We've ramped up Model X production significantly and accelerated delivery timelines. In just a couple of weeks, we'll be opening up orders online and in-store for Model X. Before we do that, we'd like to invite you to configure yours first.

The quality of Model X has never been better. We recently took some time to check and recheck every part of Model X and even had members of our management team, including Elon, test drive Model X as it came off the line. As you've read in recent reviews, it's paid off. We can't wait for you to get behind the wheel of your Model X to experience its ground-breaking features, as well as its beauty, comfort, performance and truly one-of-a-kind driving experience.

Please take advantage of your reservation preference by configuring in your MyTesla account now. If you confirm now, the estimated delivery window is April/May 2016."

I thought online and in-store ordering was already open? All a person has to do is deposit $5,000 and you have access to the design center. Am I wrong?

It seems like the demand for the Model 90D is weak. I called the number listed to ask about 70D deliveries. They still say mid to late 2016 with no ability to defer similar to the Model S.

When did you reserve your X? Since you got this email, I would assume you have not configured/ordered your X yet?

This is good news for me since I am still waiting for a VIN on my 90D.

I thought online and in-store ordering was already open? All a person has to do is deposit $5,000 and you have access to the design center. Am I wrong?

I believe they will open the design studio to all (like the Model S)

I reserved on 1/11/16 and was invited to configure 1/12/16. No I have not confirmed. I get opening the design studio for customers to play with and not have to make a $5,000 deposit, but to advertise that it is going to create increased demand seems a bit disingenuous.

Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
I reserved on 1/11/16 and was invited to configure 1/12/16. No I have not confirmed. I get opening the design studio for customers to play with and not have to make a $5,000 deposit, but to advertise that it is going to create increased demand seems a bit disingenuous.

I see nothing in that message about "increased demand". Since you paid $5000 for the right to get a priority spot in line, it does seem reasonable (you might even say courteous) of them to warn you that your time to take advantage of that is running out.

Congrats on your invite message....I got one in early March about reconfiguring and changed to the 6 seat option. As in your case, Tesla stated April/May delivery. But as of today (4/4/16) no VIN and no communication. How can they make so many promises about April/May delivery without coming through on such? Never heard of such a 'business plan'....

• Love
Congrats on your invite message....I got one in early March about reconfiguring and changed to the 6 seat option. As in your case, Tesla stated April/May delivery. But as of today (4/4/16) no VIN and no communication. How can they make so many promises about April/May delivery without coming through on such? Never heard of such a 'business plan'....

I am on the same boat as you, waiting for a VIN on my 6 seater 90D

My order for the X confirmed yesterday! 20min after midnight I got the confirmation email, but nothing else. If there's may or june delivery I'll be impressed, but I was told by a sales rep probably Aug. We'll see I guess. I'll enjoy the extra money while I have it...

I see nothing in that message about "increased demand". Since you paid $5000 for the right to get a priority spot in line, it does seem reasonable (you might even say courteous) of them to warn you that your time to take advantage of that is running out.
Maybe I misunderstand, but I don't really have a place in line. If someone went in today and placed a $5,000 deposit wouldn't they get invited to configure (I don't think there is a wait to get into the design studio)? And, if they configure and confirm before I do they jump me in line. How does opening the DS for people to play with change that in any way, yet Tesla is implying I best order before a wave of people get in front of me.

No, I am not ordering yet. I still have yet to see a Model X in person and am hoping for a test drive.

My order for the X confirmed yesterday! 20min after midnight I got the confirmation email, but nothing else. If there's may or june delivery I'll be impressed, but I was told by a sales rep probably Aug. We'll see I guess. I'll enjoy the extra money while I have it...

If you ordered a month earlier you would have a VIN already with a April/May delivery. I was told when I upgraded my 70D to a 90D on March 11 to expect a mid-April delivery. I am still waiting for a VIN

Maybe I misunderstand, but I don't really have a place in line. If someone went in today and placed a $5,000 deposit wouldn't they get invited to configure (I don't think there is a wait to get into the design studio)? And, if they configure and confirm before I do they jump me in line. How does opening the DS for people to play with change that in any way, yet Tesla is implying I best order before a wave of people get in front of me.

No, I am not ordering yet. I still have yet to see a Model X in person and am hoping for a test drive.
There is still a delay of up to a week or two between reserving and getting Design Studio access. The implication is that demand is still suppressed because you can't go on their website and configure freely or walk into a store and see one in person. A casual shopper is not going to place a $5000 just to get more configuration and price details. Sure the information is readily available through forums like this, but the majority of Tesla customers don't involve themselves here. I agree with Tesla that once Model X is actively being sold, orders and wait times will increase.

Reactions: beths11

You had a place in line, that was the point of the $5000 deposit. The fact that you have waived that advantage by not ordering is beside the point. What I don't understand is why you'd put down $5000 only to do nothing. At this point, it would have been better to leave it in your bank, because once general ordering is open there's no advantage to be gained. Your $5000 is just a prepayment with no purpose.

I put down the $5,000 to get access to the design studio. I know I want the car, but am not in a huge rush, especially since 70D are far into the future. My $5,000 deposit served the exact purpose I intended.

There's no shortage of screenshots / YouTube videos / TMC threads walking through the design studio. I know exactly what the options are and it didn't cost a penny.