Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Model 3 extended range locked me out, Tesla refused to help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What, are tesla drivers like 16-20 years old? It's more believable it's an very elderly man driving the tesla, can't use technology.

Why should it matter what the person is? I'm curious if this is how tesla culture speaks

I am impressed.
Did you even read what happened? It doesn't even appear that he was at the right car and was trying to get in. Would you want support letting someone in to your car or towing it without even doing what they say and returning to the car?

Reactions: rpiotro
I think we are going in circles here.
The OP was clearly at the wrong car.
The car was on Sentry Mode while the app showed it to be unlocked.
The Tesla app has several ways of dealing with this (show location, flash lights, honk horn)
But probably not wise to use Summon when at the wrong car.
OP posted first Apr 12, latest Apr 13.
Nothing more to be said unless OP returns.

Reactions: CyberGus
How can you say that I should disregard what Tesla representative tells me when I get the delivery of my car?
Your comment about me that I am not taking personal responsibility and I am totally responsible for this sounds like a personal attack to me!
Are you being paid by Tesla?
I think I will jump in a day late here. Doesn’t sound like a personal attack. Seems quite simply an observation. You be you, but why the key card is important and what could fail with a cellular network is quite simple and obvious problem solving, regardless of what you were “told.”

Reactions: rpiotro
I think I will jump in a day late here. Doesn’t sound like a personal attack. Seems quite simply an observation. You be you, but why the key card is important and what could fail with a cellular network is quite simple and obvious problem solving, regardless of what you were “told.”
Actually I did run a test one time where I deliberately put my phone in airplane mode and turned on only the Bluetooth, without carrying my keyfob (in my own garage of course). The car still opened and I was able to drive it. You don't need the cellular network to open and drive the car, but the issue you have is still: what happens if your phone dies?

What, are tesla drivers like 16-20 years old? It's more believable it's an very elderly man driving the tesla, can't use technology.

Why should it matter what the person is? I'm curious if this is how tesla culture speaks

I am impressed.
At least Tesla Model 3 Demographics: Who Buys Model 3s by Age, Income: seems to suggest the median age of model 3 owners is 51 years old. Apparently it was only 46 years old early in the 3's production span. So, yeah, half the owners of model 3's are 51 or greater. Perhaps 51 is very elderly in your book. You whipper-snappers can think what you want, sonny!:)

16-20 year olds can be idiots, and every age up to 'very elderly' can too.

Its likely OP is not 'very elderly', since he was able to walk on a beach for 45 minutes. I mean, I guess that 45 minutes was spent walking a single block, which might explain why he left the beach on the wrong street and found someone else's Tesla(!)

And no, it doesn't matter what this person is. For that matter, we don't even know if OP had a Tesla(he probably doesn't anymore, its probably been impounded from the El Granada street he left it on by now!) All I know is (s)he came to TMC with a massive chip on their shoulder and got a few suggestions as to the cause of their woe. Getting no sympathy, he left.

Actually I did run a test one time where I deliberately put my phone in airplane mode and turned on only the Bluetooth, without carrying my keyfob (in my own garage of course). The car still opened and I was able to drive it. You don't need the cellular network to open and drive the car, but the issue you have is still: what happens if your phone dies?
Bingo. Or stolen…or dropped and fell down the stairwell, simply lost, etc. Basic risk evaluation.

Bingo. Or stolen…or dropped and fell down the stairwell, simply lost, etc. Basic risk evaluation.
Well if you lose your key to an old style car with actual key holes in the doors, you're still screwed. The issue with relying on a phone is that you don't have to lose the phone to get screwed; the phone could simply die. I was using an old Google Pixel 1 (my backup phone to my current Google Pixel 4) two weeks ago and I woke it up and the screen just went black. No warning. It's in the repair shop right now and they're trying to find out if it's a battery issue or a motherboard issue. I think it's probably the latter, since it was at around 75% SoC when it just...died. Had that been my only car key, well, I wouldn't have been going anywhere. It should just be basic common sense that you don't rely on something as complex as a cell phone as the only way to start your car and get home, especially if you are an engineer.

Yesterday I had one of the worst experiences of my life. I have a Tesla model 3 extended range that is almost new(purchased a month ago) I had gone with some family members to a beach near half moon bay/El Granada yesterday evening. The car had 80% charge when we reached. I parked my Tesla on nearby street and walked along beach for about 45 minutes. When we returned, to my surprise, the car refused to open using the iphone app. I had never used the Tesla key until that point because Tesla told me that iphone is good enough to operate the car. The Tesla app on iphone would show the car is unlocked but car won't open. On the car screen, I could see the car was displaying that "Sentry mode" was turned ON for some reason. I had not turned it ON when I left the vehicle so I was very surprised. The app for some reason did not show that sentry mode is ON. I used my Tesla app to request roadside assistance. To my complete surprise, Tesla just closed down my request for roadside assistance in about 30 to 40 minutes while I was standing next to it. I was worried about my car so I didn't want tol leave it like that but soon it got dark there and highway one was shutdown due to wind and natural hazards so my relatives and friends couldn't come from that direction to help us. Somehow a bus coming from El Granada village saw us stranded and stopped for us and we got home. After coming home, I called Tesla and asked them why did my car refused to open? Why did they close my roadside assistance request without any reason? What are my options now that my car is left on the road? Can Tesla tow it? etc. To my surprise the Tesla roadside assistance lady on the phone told me that she doesn't know why my request for roadside assistance got closed!. She also told me that I have to be standing next to my car for Tesla to send any tow truck!!! I asked her if that is the policy then why didn't Tesla help me when I was standing next to Tesla vehicle? Why they didn't send a tow truck or tried to unlock my car remotely by verifying my identity? She refused to answer any of those question. All she would say is if you want help then go back to your vehicle. I was not willing to go back there as it was almost 11 PM in the night and I was not sure how long it will take the tow truck to arrive if my Tesla card can't open the door just like Tesla app. No matter how much I tried to convince them, they refused to help!. Tesla told me that it is their policy not to send a tow truck unless customer is next to the car and they will not comment on why my request for help got closed when I was next to the car. The lady refused to let me speak to her supervisor and told me that her supervisor will call me when he is "available" which he never did!!
Why is Tesla so arrogant and careless about the plight of its customers? I paid so much money and waited for several months to get Tesla thinking it is a reputable company but now I feel that they don't care about us and they are hiding the problems with their cars.
You lost us at the title. It’s called the RWD now.

(Moderator note)

I previously asked people not to "pile on" in this thread. I let the thread go longer, because it was mostly off topic discussion. Its back to "piling on" now, and there is virtually no chance the OP comes back at this point to let us know what happened. The last time they logged in was April 13 and its now April 23rd.

Because the thread is back to "piling on", I am going to lock it.

Status
Not open for further replies.