Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Model 3 extended range locked me out, Tesla refused to help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla representatives told me , I don't need to carry the card key as long as I have my phone.
The app for roadside assistance didn't fail. I was also responding to them via app. There is a whole list of messages on my phone.
If a Tesla salesman told you to jump off a cliff would you do it? Common sense should have told you to keep the key card in your wallet all times. Have you ever heard of a phone app working flawlessly 100% of the time? Even if it did, is it not possible to lose you phone or have its battery go dead?

If a Tesla salesman told you to jump off a cliff would you do it? Common sense should have told you to keep the key card in your wallet all times. Have you ever heard of a phone app working flawlessly 100% of the time? Even if it did, is it not possible to lose you phone or have its battery go dead?
Do you know how ridiculous your comparison is ? comparing not carrying the card to jumping over the cliff?

Isn't this a personal attack? Where is the moderator who deletes the post with personal attack?

ASSUMING those statements are in fact what happened, it's only attributable to an ignorant salesman. Every traditional dealership has people like that, and Tesla is not immune. It's not out of the ordinary for salespeople to try to overly impress customers by exaggerating features. But it's also not out of the ordinary for some customers to hear what they want to hear, and interpret information given to them in a wrong way. It's perfectly possible that "it'll work as long as your phone has signal" can be heard as "it'll work all the time" (because my phone will always have signal).
The Tesla app uses Bluetooth. It doesn't use WAN or WifFi
I am an engineer myself!
I have multiple individual patents to my name!
I know how technology works.

As per the user manual

CAUTION
Always carry your key card with you in your purse or wallet to use as a backup in case your authenticated phone has a dead battery, or is lost or stolen.

The Manual also says that if your Tesla has LIthium Ion battery then you should charge to 100%. However, my Tesla started complaining when I charged my battery to 100% two days in a row.

No, you were given bad advice. And ignore the silly middle-school banter on this thread. Comes with the territory.

In any case I'm sincerely interested in how this issue was resolved? Was it as simple as using the Tesla key or was there another problem?

Rich
You said, "ignore silly middle-school banter".
Why isn't this deemed as personal attack by the moderator?
My post with even milder reply was deleted!
Or may be some people have more "privilege" than the others?
After looking at slap incident at Oscars, I am not surprised by any of the schoolyard bullying like this.

I am an engineer myself!

This is not correct.

There are two access protocols for your car:

One is through Cell/WiFi, this allows your phone to do things like set the climate control from 10 miles away, as well as 3rd party apps to unlock and "start" the car (allowing you to drive - I do this with my Apple Watch and Tessie which does not setup a BT phone key). You access the car by way of authenticating on the app (or generating a token for 3rd party access).

The other method is by creating a "phone key", this requires you to use an existing keycard, and setting up your phone as a Bluetooth device. This allows you to unlock, start and operate the car without any network connectivity.

You can access the car and use it simply by logging into your Tesla account through the phone, that does __not__ establish a phone key that operates through BT, i.e., if your device and car lost connectivity it wouldn't work.

C'mon man, your phone could be stolen, left behind, in your pocket when you go swimming, just plain fail, run out of battery and so on. The idea that it would ALWAYS work to open your car is incredibly naive.
The issue here is not just that the app didn't work. The issue is that Tesla didn't give proper information and they closed the roadside assistance without doing anything.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: VanGuy and WhiteWi
The issue here is not just that the app didn't work. The issue is that Tesla didn't give proper information and they closed the roadside assistance without doing anything.
You really haven't thought things through considering you're an engineer with multiple patents. Even if what the Tesla employee said was true and the phone unlocks the car 100% of the time, what happens if your phone is stolen or you accidentally dropped it in the ocean while at the beach?

I've had my Model 3 since 2018 and have never been locked out by my phone yet I've had a keycard in my wallet since day one, just in case. :)

Reactions: FastEddieB
You said, "ignore silly middle-school banter".
Why isn't this deemed as personal attack by the moderator?
My post with even milder reply was deleted!
Or may be some people have more "privilege" than the others?
After looking at slap incident at Oscars, I am not surprised by any of the schoolyard bullying like this.

The person you are quoting is telling YOU to ignore the other things in the thread they considered schoolyard banter, not calling your posts schoolyard banter. I suggest perhaps reading it again.

I never take anything anybody at a car dealership says at face value. I do the research myself. And, then I'm careful while I test out new ideas, like my phone will open my car door and start my car. For me, in 3+yrs, I've never had an issue using several phones to get in the car and drive. But, I've always had a backup plan for the possibility that it might not work.

You know what's interesting? In the near year I've owned my 3, I've only had issues with the key card and not the phone key. I still keep a key card in my wallet which was also a suggestion from Tesla during delivery.

Curious, were there other Teslas around at the beach at the same time? Same model and color?

Reactions: AquaY
I am an engineer myself!
Putting aside you are wrong about it not using WAN (as others mentioned), as an engineer at the time did you try the basic trouble shooting steps for any app that is having problems connecting to a device?

For example, disabling bluetooth and enabling it again? Turning on and off the LTE connection on your phone to try to connect again? Logging out of your Tesla app and logging in again? Force closing the Tesla app and opening it again? Rebooting your phone? Have you been able to connect to your car remotely again after going home?

Note Tesla app also can unlock the car using NFC if you are using a Android phone and your phone has NFC (just enable NFC on your phone, open the app, and tap the phone to the car like a key card).

Like others, I have never been locked out of the car from the phone app not working, but I still keep the key card with me when I use the car, just based on common sense (and also because I work in software myself so I know apps can always fail to work). I wouldn't trust what a car salesman says (even if it is Tesla's) as they may not necessarily be that knowledgeable about a product (plenty of people here would be far more knowledgeable about Teslas than your average Tesla rep).

Status
Not open for further replies.