Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Model 3 extended range locked me out, Tesla refused to help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
from the first day I got my model 3LR, last September, I paired my phone, I put the Tesla card in my wallet, and my key fob is hanging with my house keys. While I got 2 or 3 times no connection with my phone, I was Always able to enter the car.
never had to use any kind of assistance, never had a flat, never got in any kind of problems. It’s the most enjoyable car I had. No stress with high petrol prices (Europe) no fuss with revision, brakes or oil change…
Im just saving money day after day while driving it.
last September I roughly paid about 50’000 brand new. That was the perfect deal.
Next week I will test drive a new model Y performance from Germany, just for the fun, and to check the build quality. (I prefer the M3 form and acceleration.)
My M3 is from China and flawless. radar+vision, usb data, lumbar for both front seats. Happy customer.
Lumbar in both seats?

What people don’t know is.

Even FOB’s for ICE have two methods to open your car. A radio transmitter (usable at some modest distance like a 100ft) and a passive RFID backup (near field, needs to be really close, almost touching).

If your battery dies in your FOB you can use the RFID (usually holding need door handle to get in and ignition to start).

Tesla is the SAME.

Accept it’s split. Your phone is the modest distant radio transmitter. And the card is your passive RFID backup. Lots can go wrong with the phone. Don’t leave home without your RFID card.

Tesla’s have a 3rd way to unlock and drive which is the app telling the mother ship to unlock the car via cellular. Which is the least reliable in case you park with poor signal for the phone or the car (they both need good signal). This method is not used for normal “phone as key”.

Next lesson: Don’t depend on a sales person for knowledge any product you are buying. Same goes for doctors, plumbers, teachers. etc. Even good ones are flawed because they are all human. Read up on your toys and you’ll get more out of them.

Did the 12V die? If it is an older car, the 12V can die and leave you stranded.
He said he could see Sentry on the screen.

I wonder if he walked back to the wrong car. Now that would be funny and explain whole lot. Everything OP said fits with walking back to the wrong car (including the road side Cancelation). Should have tried honking horn with the App.

Me and my friend tried to walk back to his white Model Y that looked identical. We scratched our heads for a few minutes until we realized oops. I always park a mile away and so it never gets mixed up ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: CyberGus and enemji
He said he could see Sentry on the screen.

I wonder if he walked back to the wrong car. Now that would be funny and explain whole lot. Everything OP said fits with walking back to the wrong car. Should have tried honking horn with the App.

Me and my friend tried to walk back to his white Model Y that looked identical. We scratched our heads for a few minutes until we realized oops. I always park a mile away and so it never gets mixed up ;)

Yeah, @brkaus suggested that back in page one, and I realized the same thing (that the story perfectly fits if the OP went back to the wrong car). I have no idea if the OP actually went to the wrong car or not, but the OP attempted to flame people even suggesting that in a post I had to moderate away for personal attacks (thus no one but me saw it).

I only mention it now because its likely that the OP wont come back and say what happened, due to all the additional "feedback" that was given in this thread.

I doubt we will ever know at this point, and this thread has taken on a separate life of its own, but in my head, until proven differently, thats the thing that makes the most sense in an "occams razor" type of way.

I always use the key card, I have to say
open saysame. We have car movers here that
pick up cars that are in a bad location and place them
streets away. Sorta shocked no one used the people from
outer space yet. And of course the secret password for
towing is "the eagle flies at midnight" never mind

I have added a unique identifier to my car. Red wheel caps. Hopefully not too many Red White & Blue in the same parking lot.
5441B411-5C20-4BE9-A6E5-8EF2A74BE0B2.jpeg

That said, I have tried to enter the wrong car before, but it was a rental.

OK, if we're going there, I have to share my story...

A few years out of grad school, I was on a business trip to a conference in SoCal. Maybe the car rental company was out of usual bland mid-size sedans or something, they give me this retina-searing burnt orange sporty-but-not-quite-sports-car Pontiac. End of the first day, I'm waiting for the valet to bring my car (conference center only had valet parking), when I run into my grad school roommate also standing nearby. Had not seen him since graduation a few years earlier, so we chit-chatted a bit.

After a few minutes of bland rental sedans, up pulls the burnt orange Pontiac. I say farewell and run over to the driver's door, as I get in I see my ex-roommate throwing his bag into the trunk. I'm thinking maybe he wants a ride, but as I get out to ask, he cryptically jokes "stealing my car?". As I sit there puzzled for a split-second, another identical burnt orange Pontiac comes pulling up right behind us...

Tesla NEVER told you the phone was good enough. As a matter of fact, the following statements are cut and pasted directly from the owner's manual. And it appears that roadside assistance was something you would have to pay for in this circumstance since it appears it is probably a non warranty issue

"Note
Always carry a key card or key fob as a backup key, in case your phone loses power or you misplace your phone.

Note
In the event that you require lockout assistance from Tesla due to a non-warranty issue, such as having limited cellular connectivity and having no secondary key available, your expenses are not covered under the Roadside Assistance policy."

Reactions: WhiteWi and enemji
Tesla NEVER told you the phone was good enough.

Well, to be fair, *someone* at Tesla may have told the OP that. Someone may have told the OP that FSD would be feature complete in 2 weeks too.

Some folks see the truth clearly enough to know that carrying the key card is smart and that FSD (as it currently stands) is a pipe dream. And some people leave the key card at home and are counting on their robotaxi for retirement.

Reactions: Scubadriver
...in fact I think getting rid of lumbar is a huge mistake by Tesla...if you have a bad back, no matter how much you want a Tesla, you can’t buy it if the seat will leave you in pain

Seems a bit hyperbolic, since there are so many aftermarket lumbar support cushions available, that do the job nicely. That said, the deletion of a very useful passenger comfort item seems chintzy - similar to selling an EV with no way to charge it at home.

Seems a bit hyperbolic, since there are so many aftermarket lumbar support cushions available, that do the job nicely. That said, the deletion of a very useful passenger comfort item seems chintzy - similar to selling an EV with no way to charge it at home.

Any deletion is annoying, but if there was a less-used function of my car, I don't know what it is. I can honestly say nobody ever adjusted the passenger lumbar support - not once - in my car. So if that part was causing production delays, let it be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.