Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Model 3 extended range locked me out, Tesla refused to help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I are a engineer.

Note: this is a feeble attempt to say that usually an engineer-type is bad at English composition. However, living here in Silicon Valley, many job descriptions are "engineers". In my case I went from a FORTRAN programmer title to a Test Engineer, even though I do not hold any kind of engineering degree.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
The OP waited by the car for roadside assistance, but they never came. Eventually, the actual owner of that car came back. It was love at first sight. Now they're married with two dogs, two Teslas, and a million dollar 1100 sqft home surrounded by fire and avocado toast.

The End.
I live avocado toast especially, if it’s sour dough.

That’s one happy ending!

• Love
Reactions: Brando
And it is my understanding that it was removed strictly due to a parts shortage. Do you want your car in 90 days or 10 months with the passenger lumbar support? What would be your choice? Can't please everyone.
What I would prefer is they offer retrofits for when availability improves, or at the very least not go out of their way to block retrofits.

FWIW I don't expect everyone to have read the manual.
I actually do expect people to read the manual. Not only is this a $40k+ investment, but driving a car is literally the most dangerous activity most people will do in their lives. Spending 30 minutes to make yourself even a little bit better at that task isn't unreasonable.

I'd expect most people (myself included) don't read vehicle manuals cover-to-cover. That's why there's an index to locate a specific topic (or, in the case of the Tesla manual: control+F).

The Manual also says that if your Tesla has LIthium Ion battery then you should charge to 100%. However, my Tesla started complaining when I charged my battery to 100% two days in a row.
Looks like you did read the manual, which says to always carry the key card.

You may have misunderstood the part in the manual about the battery. I think all Teslas have lithium ion batteries - it is only the LFP batteries (Lithium Iron) that should charge to 100%. You might want to make sure you have the LFP battery - I thought only the low-end M3s have it, and you say you have an extended range car. Perhaps the car was complaining for a valid reason.

1650748838264.png

The Tesla app uses Bluetooth. It doesn't use WAN or WifFi
I am an engineer myself!
I have multiple individual patents to my name!
I know how technology works.
Well then you should have known better than to trust such a complicated piece of technology to never break. What did you plan to do if your phone crashed and could not be rebooted or just plain ran out of battery power, or for some reason just died? You took a Tesla rep's word as gospel over the judgement you should have had as an engineer?

I didn't need to ask a Tesla rep if I could always carry the phone with me in lieu of the card. I purchased the keyfob because I didn't want to always carry the card with me, and it works as a backup too, even if its batteries die and my phone dies at the same time. And I know to never get in the car and start driving off without it.

Anyone trying to reply to the OP, thats likely not going to be received as they checked out of this thread (and TMC) days ago (on april 13th).

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 3.13.03 PM.png

Since it appears to me that they joined TMC to make this complaint, and may not have received the reception they expected, I doubt they will be back.

Are most of the moderators here / common posters just tesla workers at scs lol? They seem to promote the dumb culture that Tesla workers are likely trained to be 'ignorantly rude and not helpful'. What interesting times. Do Tesla workers not get paid enough selling those solar systems or why the poor minded shade?

Are most of the moderators here / common posters just tesla workers at scs lol? They seem to promote the dumb culture that Tesla workers are likely trained to be 'ignorantly rude and not helpful'. What interesting times.

No, we are not, and thats absolutely not what happened in this situation. I suggest reading the account again. I summarized the OPs complaint in post 2 of this thread.

It sounds like Tesla gave the gentleman a runaround and wasted his time, a new driver that's phone glitched. Could have a been a elder gentleman, anyways sounds pretty frustrating. The runaround situation given by Tesla is very similar to their work sale culture to their new customers that are acquiring cars, and is so inefficient and a bad joke. Maybe I'm new to tesla culture, and this is how the people act lol, pretty.

or why the poor minded shade?

I actually answered that too, at least my opinion of it anyway, in post #142 of this thread. I will paste it again for reference, but the TL ; DR version is, the OP got this reception because they refused to accept ANY personal responsibility for not having their keycard.

===============================================================

There is definitely some piling on going on here, so I am going put on my moderator hat for a second...

===============================

(moderator note)

I am going to ask people to dial back on the gang piling that is going on in the last couple pages of the thread. While I also share your desire to see how this turned out, the more people gang up on the OP, the less likely this is to happen.

Please voice any opinions in a respectful manner, even if they are dissenting ones.

Thank you

===============================

(Regular content, not moderation).

I have said this in a few other threads here recently, but I find TMC can be both very welcoming place, and also a very harsh one, depending on the angle that someone comes into a post with. This isnt moderation content, but, the responses in this thread from members here are mostly driven from the lack of personal accountability, at least in my opinion.

TMC in general has a pretty diverse set of regular members, some very pro tesla, some very anti tesla, and most somewhere in the middle. Where most of them meet, however, is a dislike of posts where the person paints a picture that they have no accountability for something that its fairly obvious they do have accountability for.

If, for example, (and yes I realize this is totally "putting words in the OPs mouth"), the OPs story had included a statement near the beginning something like:

==========================
"Let me start off by saying I didnt have my keycard, This is my fault, I was silly for believing what the salesperson told me about not needing it, so I defiinitely exacerbated this issue by not having my keycard with me, but........"
==========================

Its my belief that the responses from the members here would have been VERY (very) different.

In any case, I also am wondering how this comes / came out. @Knightshade , actually it was @brkaus who first suggested the "wrong car" premise and after reading the story again, I realized that explanation fits the story exactly.

With the number of teslas in CA, and the fact that model 3s only come in 5 colors, and all trims look basically the same, it would not be uncommon to be at the wrong car and not realize it, especially if you were in a larger parking lot. I have done it once myself, and my car has carbon fiber wrapped mirror caps, and is a 2018 with a chrome delete, and is blue, one of the "more rare" of the 5 colors.

I only did it for a second, but my car ws like 6 cars away from the one I wallked up to, pulled the handle, and wondered why the sentry eye was looking at me through the (less tinted than mine) window.

The OP may think that making that mistake somehow makes them appear less intelligent or something, but thats not the case. It just means they made a mistake, panicked, and exacerbated the situation by not pausing. I dont know if that is the case here, but again would ask people to not pile on, both with and without my mod hat on.

Reactions: CyberGus
You expect an old man to tell you it was his fault for not having a tesla card on him while he was on a family trip? lol, Rather then sympathize with the situation, it's nice to power trip and make the old man feel like he's done something terribly inconsiderate and he deserve no support. It's almost laughable that he waited all night and couldn't even get his car towed. Am I right?

Why do you need an old man to take responsibility for not having a key card, when he's barely driving the tesla and not putting gas in there? C'mon guys, ya'll tripping.

You expect an old man to tell you it was his fault for not having a tesla card on him while he was on a family trip? lol, Rather then sympathize with the situation, it's nice to power trip and make the old man feel like he's done something terribly inconsiderate and he deserve no support. It's almost laughable that he waited all night and couldn't even get his car towed. Am I right?

Why do you need an old man to take responsibility for not having a key card, when he's barely driving the tesla and not putting gas in there? C'mon guys, ya'll tripping.

I am not sure what you are after, but no one knows if this is an old or young person, or male or female. As for the car towing, its pretty clear that a person should need to be present to prove car ownership before its towed in such a manner, so I dont see an issue with that. If that wasnt a rule, all sorts of pranks would be played in towing peoples cars.

Your projecting "old person" onto this OP, not us. Since its pretty likely they were at the wrong car, no, you are not right about not getting the car towed when they were not present with it.

Reactions: CyberGus
What, are tesla drivers like 16-20 years old? It's more believable it's an very elderly man driving the tesla, can't use technology.

Why should it matter what the person is? I'm curious if this is how tesla culture speaks

I am impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.