Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Model S Has 2nd Triple Cam For Autopilot & Pedestrian Noise Unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a nice tip from someone examining behind-closed-doors schematics.

The new Model S with the facelift comes with a new triple cam to boost Autopilot, and also a pedestrian noise unit! (I know, not everyone is thrilled about cowbell, but we'll see where Elon goes with it.)

New Tesla Model S Has 2nd Triple Cam For Autopilot & Pedestrian Noise Unit (CleanTechnica Exclusive)

Zach and all: what's your latest thoughts given that we are starting to see post facelift deliveries without triple cam?

Like many, I'm trying to make a somewhat educated guess as to when to pull the trigger on a model s (I know, I know, you can't)

It seems like the prevailing theories in this thread are:

1) everything _but_ the triple cam are included: i.e. the new schematic wiring is there. which could mean:
A) tesla doesn't want to make headlines until part 2 unveil so it is using old cam for now but wants to allow for 'retro fit' ability to cars ~6 months old
B) tesla is making part of the manufacturing wiring changes now because it's cheap and it will start rolling out with triple cam in the near future but not provide 'retro fit' for initial non trip cam facelift cars

2) the schematic you've seen doesn't correlate at all to new facelift edition and is planned for a later 2016 edition.

3) the schematic is fake, been abandoned for facelift edition, or intentionally made public for [insert conspiracy reason here]

I think I'd be willing to gamble on purchasing today _if_ we get confirmation that theory 1 turns out to be true: the wiring or other parts internally have changed, thus the chances of retro fit ability slightly improves. Does this require someone to void there warranty in order to verify that?

Has anyone seen evidence of facelift model Ss that have been delivered to owners with schematic changes?

Thanks for humouring this obsessive curiosity of mine. :D

Zach and all: what's your latest thoughts given that we are starting to see post facelift deliveries without triple cam?

Like many, I'm trying to make a somewhat educated guess as to when to pull the trigger on a model s (I know, I know, you can't)

It seems like the prevailing theories in this thread are:

1) everything _but_ the triple cam are included: i.e. the new schematic wiring is there. which could mean:
A) tesla doesn't want to make headlines until part 2 unveil so it is using old cam for now but wants to allow for 'retro fit' ability to cars ~6 months old
B) tesla is making part of the manufacturing wiring changes now because it's cheap and it will start rolling out with triple cam in the near future but not provide 'retro fit' for initial non trip cam facelift cars

2) the schematic you've seen doesn't correlate at all to new facelift edition and is planned for a later 2016 edition.

3) the schematic is fake, been abandoned for facelift edition, or intentionally made public for [insert conspiracy reason here]

I think I'd be willing to gamble on purchasing today _if_ we get confirmation that theory 1 turns out to be true: the wiring or other parts internally have changed, thus the chances of retro fit ability slightly improves. Does this require someone to void there warranty in order to verify that?

Has anyone seen evidence of facelift model Ss that have been delivered to owners with schematic changes?

Thanks for humouring this obsessive curiosity of mine. :D
I think your premise is faulty. There is no proof that any wiring changes have been made.

Normally I am a very decisive person. Cant run a business being wishy-washy.
MS NOW or later...when is AP2 wiring being released stealth mode? Buy Sept, or delay to Jan?
aghhh attack of the wishy-washy.

Please Zach - tell me you have it on good authority that my new MS60 - being ordered next week - will be plumbed for AP2.....

Thanks all for the educated guesses and thoughts. especially you Zachary since you were the one who first brought this to attention.

I think one tidbit of information that would be a significant clue would be to know what makes the folks who were given the 2015 and 2016 schematics think it is correlated to facelift/refresh model s. Because 2016 still has another ~6 months left but if tesla insiders mentioned it was related to the 2016 refresh edition specifically, that would be very interesting :)

Reactions: benemac
A mysterious Reddit post implies new hardware coming around early September.

Wait to buy model S, hoping for next gen autopilot hardware?

Essentially, this is what got everyone excited.

"Little birdie told me: new hardware installed in 45 days Xs and refreshed Model S capable of retrofit for $$ activation of new ver of AP still more than 180 days out"

Anyone think this might be true? We might upgrade but hold off delivery until late October.

It might be true, but I wouldn't bet on it or make plans based on it - it certainly isn't any more persuasive than a dozen other rumors that came and went.

If today's car works for you, buy it. If you need AP 2 (which we don't know what is or what it can do,) wait until it is positively confirmed on some cars to order.