Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Model X Long Range should change it's name.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DelPhonic1

Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Burbank
I'm one of those that was hoping for a big range increase on the new Model X. I'm looking forward to the new updates big time, but, range is the biggest factor for me. I like long road trips. No, I love long road trips. I love dashing from place to place, and I can do it easier with a longer range. Grab a burger midway and keep going up to SF from L.A, -- my brother has been waiting with beers. The Model S Plaid + has a 520+ range which is more than 100 miles more. Since the Model X is arguably the best long distance touring vehicle Tesla has, well, it's disappointing to see a range drop, rather than a more than 100 mile or so increase which one would expect from the flagship. Or at least the option.

And I have the sneaking suspicion that they are using less 18650 battery in the new models. Maybe they should call it Palladium, rather than long range.

Looks like I'll be waiting a year or so for either the 4680 in the Model X or a more reasonable bump in it's range. Maybe we should be lucky this fabulous faberge egg is still being built. Riding my 2018 long range starship won't kill me if I hold onto it for another year. Its still bad ass.

Riding my 2018 long range starship won't kill me if I hold onto it for another year. Its still bad ass.
I think this is the right way to send the message.

If there's nothing that really appeals to you in a refresh and your current car meets your needs about as well - why update, right? Let them create something really appealing and then update.

yeah. you're spot on.
One year from now, these 18650 S/X's with the refreshed interior are really going to be unicorns, but in a bad way

I know it's diminishing financial returns since the numbers on S/X are so low, but if you pay twice as much for a car that has the inferior tech in it's 'engine', its like that top end Lexus having a lessor motor than that Nissan Sentra thats over yonder. At least until the Roadster comes out. Maybe they can keep updating chem on the 18650's and keep us happy. I'm sure there's a software update or three that'll do the trick in the coming months.

But wouldn't you want the 3/Y and the A(ok maybe not the Cybertruck) owners 'moving up' to S/X? If not it'll be bassackwards.

I'm one of those that was hoping for a big range increase on the new Model X. I'm looking forward to the new updates big time, but, range is the biggest factor for me. I like long road trips. No, I love long road trips. I love dashing from place to place, and I can do it easier with a longer range. Grab a burger midway and keep going up to SF from L.A, -- my brother has been waiting with beers. The Model S Plaid + has a 520+ range which is more than 100 miles more. Since the Model X is arguably the best long distance touring vehicle Tesla has, well, it's disappointing to see a range drop, rather than a more than 100 mile or so increase which one would expect from the flagship. Or at least the option.

And I have the sneaking suspicion that they are using less 18650 battery in the new models. Maybe they should call it Palladium, rather than long range.

Looks like I'll be waiting a year or so for either the 4680 in the Model X or a more reasonable bump in it's range. Maybe we should be lucky this fabulous faberge egg is still being built. Riding my 2018 long range starship won't kill me if I hold onto it for another year. Its still bad ass.

Agree. Most important spec is range. Have a 2020 X LR+ rated @351 miles. They need to add another 100 miles before I would be interested in any "upgrade"

Just so you know, even if you have the Model S Plaid + with 520+ miles rate range, you can't go from LA to SF without stopping. The distance may be under 400 miles, but with many hills. I just did a better route planning with my 2017 75D Model X. It has about 219 miles range at 100%. The calculation says I need to leave at 100%, charge 200% on the way, to arrive at 20% charge. So you will need a rated 613 miles Tesla to make the trip and you will have nothing left in the battery when you get there.

Just so you know, even if you have the Model S Plaid + with 520+ miles rate range, you can't go from LA to SF without stopping. The distance may be under 400 miles, but with many hills. I just did a better route planning with my 2017 75D Model X. It has about 219 miles range at 100%. The calculation says I need to leave at 100%, charge 200% on the way, to arrive at 20% charge. So you will need a rated 613 miles Tesla to make the trip and you will have nothing left in the battery when you get there.

That’s probably why he said “grab a burger midway and keep going from SF to LA”.

The fact that a long drive like that can be done on an EV can be done with only one stop that is just long enough to grab a burger and get back on the road is pretty nice.

Just so you know, even if you have the Model S Plaid + with 520+ miles rate range, you can't go from LA to SF without stopping. The distance may be under 400 miles, but with many hills.

Is LA at a much lower elevation that SF? Because the 2019 Tesla Model S could go from SF to LA without stopping: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-s/2019/exclusive-2019-tesla-model-s-review/

So surely the Model S Plaid+ would be able to do the opposite with a single charge.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Is LA at a much lower elevation that SF? Because the 2019 Tesla Model S could go from SF to LA without stopping: EXCLUSIVE: 2019 Tesla Model S Review: From SF to LA on One Charge?

So surely the Model S Plaid+ would be able to do the opposite with a single charge.
Not sure they have the correct parameters in the app. I’ve done it easily stopping just once. Wouldn’t have made it on a single charge nor would I want to drive all the way nonstop though.

Is LA at a much lower elevation that SF? Because the 2019 Tesla Model S could go from SF to LA without stopping: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-s/2019/exclusive-2019-tesla-model-s-review/

No the other way is actually even more according to abetterrouteplanner. I redid the plan using a 2020 MS long range plus and it shows that it will need a 43% charge to make it from SF to LA with 0% left. But my setting is that I will not drive faster than 85mph. I think if I lowered it to 70, it will increase efficiency by a ton. It is just not realistic speed for me. I have never driven under 70 unless there is traffic. I think a long stretch of the freeway is 75mph speed limit.

No the other way is actually even more according to abetterrouteplanner. I redid the plan using a 2020 MS long range plus and it shows that it will need a 43% charge to make it from SF to LA with 0% left. But my setting is that I will not drive faster than 85mph. I think if I lowered it to 70, it will increase efficiency by a ton. It is just not realistic speed for me. I have never driven under 70 unless there is traffic. I think a long stretch of the freeway is 75mph speed limit.
That’ll do it. I don’t remember but I was probably between 70-80 and on AP 99.9% of the way.

So my 2016 X P90D has 100% range of 230 miles. For me, 360 miles would me a MAJOR range increase, plus there’s the interior refresh. However, I am still concerned about having the “old” batteries and what is likely an 85 pack.

Reactions: Gwgan
So my 2016 X P90D has 100% range of 230 miles. For me, 360 miles would me a MAJOR range increase, plus there’s the interior refresh. However, I am still concerned about having the “old” batteries and what is likely an 85 pack.
I’m not as concerned about the batteries being the old physical dimensions but yeah agree on the pack size. If true, they will definitely release a 100 again in a few months or a year and early adopters will be unhappy again.

My blader won't last more than 3 hours. It is the limiting factor, not the car's range.

Exactly. I learned on our summer road trip that stopping for ~15 mins every 2.5 hours or so is glorious. Instead of the “gotta get there, gotta get there, gotta get there” mentality of abusing one’s body, that quick break meant all the world. Actually felt great at the end of each day instead of exhausted and cranky.

Retraining decades of bad habits wasn’t easy, but when we did, life took on a whole new dimension. Seriously - stopping to smell the roses is a pretty nice thing.

When I drive that way from L.A. to the Bay Area, I get about 80% of my range on my 100D. I can go from L.A. to wine country in Paso(200miles one way with hills) with another 40 miles left in the pack. 75% should get the Plaid there fairly easily the way I drive.