Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Model Y stuck on 6AMPS when charging on 7KW charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
9C41CA8D-0386-4DDB-8C2C-357D2A04E892.jpeg

When you say ”we “ who do you mean ?
80% of this site are Americans.

I live in Portugal but the car is often in the U.K.
It gets the same charge rate when plugged into a U.K. 13A socket. It’s the standard hardware that comes with every Tesla (I guess that sentence won’t age well ?) .

EU adapters must be different adapter from the ones supplied with U.K. cars ! That seems a pity though. It’s the same voltage and a 13A outlet is capable of 13A not just 10A

Last edited:

It gets the same charge rate when plugged into a U.K. 13A socket.

I guess mine must be different adapter from the one supplied with U.K. cars ! That seems a pity though. It’s the same voltage and a 13A outlet is capable of 13A not just 10A
I believe in the UK whilst 3-pin plugs/sockets are rated at 13amps, vehicle manufacturers tend to limit charging to 10amps to prevent overheating that would be more likely to occur if a high current is drawn for a long period of time.

In the rest of Europe I think 3-pin sockets are rated for 16amps, which would mean a 13amps current for charging would also be downrated compared to the technical maximum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stuart Watson

It gets the same charge rate when plugged into a U.K. 13A socket. It’s the standard hardware that comes with every Tesla (I guess that sentence won’t age well ?) .

EU adapters must be different adapter from the ones supplied with U.K. cars ! That seems a pity though. It’s the same voltage and a 13A outlet is capable of 13A not just 10A
I think ’we’ was in reference to this thread being in a specific UK sub forum.

Do you use the Tesla UK adapter for your charger when in the UK or just your EU adapter with a plug converter?

These adapters set the maximum charging rate allowed, the charger itself should be the same across the UK and EU.

It is the specific adapter that communicates with the UMC and the car to set the charging rate. If you have one that’s designed for Portugal it will be different. Any extension or plug changer to make it fit a UK socket will be invisible to the UMC so it will try to deliver its Portugal rate. Of course the UMC itself is capable of up to 32amps with the right adapter e.g. a UK commando connector

(Take care when drawing the full 13amps in the UK. Some people have had issues with overheated sockets even at 10amps … it obviously depends on the quality of the socket, it’s connections and wiring. If you were to inadvertently cause a fire Tesla would not accept liability!)

Indeed they are different! There are umpteen different adapter attachments for different socket styles and to match the different wiring schemes that are used in different countries. Portugal sockets are rated at 16amps so the Tesla adapter is derated to 13amps in the same way our 13amp sockets are derated to 10amps. It’s for safety. Do extra temperature checks if you charge at 13amps in the uk or dial it down to 10 on the screen.

Reactions: Stuart Watson