Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla MS Regen Limited

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a brand new 2020 MS (long range). Regen has been limited almost all the time with the dashed yellow line on the bottom of the power graph circle. I talked to Tesla service a few times and even brought it over to the SC. We did a supercharge over there for ~15 mins and after that the full regen DID come on. I have also been able to get it to come on after ~20 mins of highway driving at fast speeds. However, I am not getting it for all other shorter drives.

Previously I had a 2016 MS for 3 years and saw very different behavior. My regen was pretty much on all the time (unless I did a near full charge or if temps were really frigid) and I didn’t charge or “pre-condition” all the time.

I’m in the Chicago area and temps are relatively mild now (40s-50s F). Tesla SC said they may have changed the software algorithms such that the regen needs the battery to be at 70 degrees F. Any insight on this? I really got used to driving a lot without braking (relying on the regen deceleration) and this is a totally different feel. If they indeed changed the temperature threshold then being where I am at, does that mean I wont have regen most of the year?

Confirmed. Recent software updates require higher temps before full regen. There have been a number of posts about it. Some reports of improvement in most recent updates, but not the same as it was in prior years. Many believe it is for battery protection/longevity.

Just got a brand new 2020 MS (long range). Regen has been limited almost all the time with the dashed yellow line on the bottom of the power graph circle. I talked to Tesla service a few times and even brought it over to the SC. We did a supercharge over there for ~15 mins and after that the full regen DID come on. I have also been able to get it to come on after ~20 mins of highway driving at fast speeds. However, I am not getting it for all other shorter drives.

Previously I had a 2016 MS for 3 years and saw very different behavior. My regen was pretty much on all the time (unless I did a near full charge or if temps were really frigid) and I didn’t charge or “pre-condition” all the time.

I’m in the Chicago area and temps are relatively mild now (40s-50s F). Tesla SC said they may have changed the software algorithms such that the regen needs the battery to be at 70 degrees F. Any insight on this? I really got used to driving a lot without braking (relying on the regen deceleration) and this is a totally different feel. If they indeed changed the temperature threshold then being where I am at, does that mean I wont have regen most of the year?
I precondition my car for 40 mins prior to leaving the house (its usually still plugged in) and I get full regen back. Have you tried that?

I precondition my car for 40 mins prior to leaving the house (its usually still plugged in) and I get full regen back. Have you tried that?
Im sure that works, but I cannot pre-condition every time I go on a drive. I really just want the car to behave as my previous MS did. Maybe giving us the option to select the minimum battery temp for regen?

Im sure that works, but I cannot pre-condition every time I go on a drive. I really just want the car to behave as my previous MS did. Maybe giving us the option to select the minimum battery temp for regen?
I've gotten used to it now. Its definitely not convenient.

The plus side is that the brakes get to be used a bit which is good for cars in our colder climates due to all the salt/mud dumped on our roads that require us to get an annual brake service because the brakes don't get used much.

Reactions: baw