Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Orders Will Require Subscription for Navigation After Eight Years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. That hopefully will boost revenues. It discourages owners from hanging on to their cars for over eight years.

Tesla has been finding ways to boost revenue, such as discontinuing front passenger seat motor and mobile connectors, citing "low usage" as if it has nothing to do with money.

Bad for consumers but good for the company.

Yes. That hopefully will boost revenues. It discourages owners from hanging on to their cars for over eight years.

Tesla has been finding ways to boost revenue, such as discontinuing front passenger seat motor and mobile connectors, citing "low usage" as if it has nothing to do with money.

Bad for consumers but good for the company.
I thought the lumbar support for passenger seat was discontinued but everything else stayed. My previous cars with navigation required me to buy map updates periodically if I wanted to keep them up to date. The first update was free but after that, any map updates were at my expense. How is this different from what other manufacturers are doing?

I thought the lumbar support for passenger seat was discontinued but everything else stayed. My previous cars with navigation required me to buy map updates periodically if I wanted to keep them up to date. The first update was free but after that, any map updates were at my expense. How is this different from what other manufacturers are doing?
Did you forget about them removing radar and the entire mobile charger?
Honestly $10 a month or $100 annually is still a bargain for what you get.
I had the digital dash in my Audi with integrated Google maps. I still think Audi’s digital dash is one of the most beautiful setups there is. Except they charge $36 a month and all you get is Google Earth and traffic. The rest of the crap like parking prices, weather and gas is worthless junk.

I thought the lumbar support for passenger seat was discontinued...
Correct! Sorry, I should be more specific about the motor, and the button from the Lumbar Support feature were removed.

...My previous cars with navigation required me to buy map updates periodically if I wanted to keep them up to date. The first update was free but after that, any map updates were at my expense. How is this different from what other manufacturers are doing?
The difference is if you refuse to pay more for other brands' updates, your navigation is not disabled. You can still navigate to older addresses but not brand new house subdivisions.

It's just like if you pay more, you can get more lights in your house. That part makes sense. But if you don't pay Tesla's way, the lights already existing in your house can no longer light up!

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
Never heard of anyone requiring a map update. It’s always been voluntary from the couple dozen cars I’ve owned.

Currently, without internet or any kind of cell signal, Tesla navigation still works and it would give you an icon "offline" routing.

So if Tesla disables navigation, it doesn't matter whether you have an internet signal or not, you have to pay up.
Could be cause for class action since navigation is such a crucial aspect to these cars (range estimates linked to BMS/Battery health and configuration) and traveling with them.

Well, we'll see how firmly all these subscriptions take hold. I know BMW quickly backpedaled their plan to have subscriptions for heated seats after lots of heat/ridicule. The only way it will stop is if people don't take it like sheep.
The only loyalist more fervent than a BMW loyalist is a Tesla loyalist.

K

If people get mad about having to pay for data after owning the car for 8 years don’t own the car for that long. Or I guess Tesla could add another 10k to the cost of the car up front so people won’t get all upset.

Take the GPS antennæ and LTE modem out of your car and see how well it provides RW range estimates against known BMS parameters.
So what. Tesla told you what the deal was and you still signed up for it. Plus I assume some of that stuff will still be accessible via wifi. But even if it isn’t it isn’t grounds for a lawsuit if they are clear about it when you buy the car.

Your car will be 8 years old by the time you have to worry about it. This seems really petty to complain about especially considering how many of us have plunked down 6-10k to be part of an experiment.

Would you consider it fair if Tesla just baked the cost of the connectivity into the car? So raise the price by 5K? They could do it and there would still be a waitlist.