Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Orders Will Require Subscription for Navigation After Eight Years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keeping a Tesla for 8 years is like keeping your phone or computer for that long. Who does that??!
After about 3 years Tesla starts forgetting about you and it just gets worse every year after. You get updates, but nothing really good compared to newer models.

People say that one of the main selling points of the Tesla is that it gets updates over the air from now until the end of time, so you always have the latest and greatest software available. Personally I would prefer it if they stopped messing with the interface.

For me, a phone is a phone. Last time I got a new phone was the last time a compelling new technology became available. I have a first generation Galaxy Fold... and I will keep it until it either gets damaged significantly, or the battery degrades to the point that it can't last most of a day without a top up charge... even then I might just purchase a battery bank to carry around with me if needed.

If they come out with a phone that the screen rolls up like a scroll and takes up a normal size phone's space in my pocket, and when you unroll it the screen is the size of a large tablet, THEN I will think about getting a new phone. If they come out with a Model Y Performance that has 450+ miles of range and 350+ KW charging up to and beyond 50% SOC THEN I might think about replacing my MYP. Until then, my 2021 MYP and first gen Galaxy Fold meet my needs.

Keith

Tesla has been the exception with connectivity subscriptions. Most carmakers charge for service after 6-12 months, although Tesla does charge for ‘premium’ connectivity.

The big difference with Tesla vs other makers is that connectivity is required for things like super charging and software updates, significantly limiting the operation of the car.

I’d be totally fine using my phone as a hotspot but they have it set up so it won’t connect automatically and It won’t disconnect automatically, making it a pain in the butt to use.

K

If people get mad about having to pay for data after owning the car for 8 years don’t own the car for that long. Or I guess Tesla could add another 10k to the cost of the car up front so people won’t get all upset.

Are you really planning to buy an ev to own for more than 8 years?
The average lifespan of a car is 12 years. Many people regularly drive their cars much longer than that. I buy my cars planning on keeping them at least 10-15 years.

If you claim to buy an EV for the environment then you should recognize that the best thing for the environment is to drive your current car as long as possible.

Isn’t that irrelevant? They had a choice, increase the upfront cost or increase the backend cost… and in the mean time you get 8 years of improvements like V11. Who says you don’t eventually get CarPlay/android integration….
Evidently they chose to do both. And “improvements like V11”? Ha! You must be trying to convince people they’d be better without the connectivity.

Cellular connectivity is most certainly not required for either of those things.
The navigation system is needed for preconditioning the battery, and not everyone parks where they have Wi-Fi.

Another big issue is Autopilot, TACC, enhanced autopilot and FSD. These all require the navigation system. Is Tesla selling people a 12000FSD package then saying they have to pay another $10/month to use it?

The navigation system is needed for preconditioning the battery, and not everyone parks where they have Wi-Fi.
Neither of those facts makes cellular connectivity “required” as you said in your original post. Supercharging and software updates work just fine without any cellular connectivity at all.
Another big issue is Autopilot, TACC, enhanced autopilot and FSD. These all require the navigation system.
No, they don’t. Autopilot and TACC work just fine without any connectivity at all.
Is Tesla selling people a 12000FSD package then saying they have to pay another $10/month to use it?
Perhaps, yes. Although that would require Tesla thinking things through, which they obviously don’t. This is just some blanket language on their website intended to give them an out for providing something “forever” with no real formulated plan behind it.

That scenario wouldn’t be all that different than the LTE hardware upgrade early S/X owners just had to pay $200 for to keep their connectivity/navigation.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Neither of those facts makes cellular connectivity “required” as you said in your original post. Supercharging and software updates work just fine without any cellular connectivity at all.

No, they don’t. Autopilot and TACC work just fine without any connectivity at all.

Perhaps, yes. Although that would require Tesla thinking things through, which they obviously don’t. This is just some blanket language on their website intended to give them an out for providing something “forever” with no real formulated plan behind it.

That scenario wouldn’t be all that different than the LTE hardware upgrade early S/X owners just had to pay $200 for to keep their connectivity/navigation.
For full functionality they all need connectivity.

Turning into a normal car company with the add on costs for anything they can find. I remember Elon saying "we aren't going to make money on service" like car dealers, but they are certainly looking for all the profit centers they can tap.
And I have to laugh at the guy saying "they could just raise the car price 5k instead" as if they haven't been doing that already. My 1st Y was $53,790 a year ago and I think the cost now is $68k?! Hopefully they'll come out with the less expensive model they have been promising.
That said, I do love my Tesla!

Turning into a normal car company with the add on costs for anything they can find. I remember Elon saying "we aren't going to make money on service" like car dealers, but they are certainly looking for all the profit centers they can tap.
And I have to laugh at the guy saying "they could just raise the car price 5k instead" as if they haven't been doing that already. My 1st Y was $53,790 a year ago and I think the cost now is $68k?! Hopefully they'll come out with the less expensive model they have been promising.
That said, I do love my Tesla!
If you're gonna quote the non-profit service, let's not forget "Superchargers will always be free. They will be free forever."

Would you care to prove this? What you’re saying is patently false. There is absolutely nothing about TACC or Autopilot dependent on connectivity in any way.
Superchargers require navigation to precondition to allow for maximum charge speed.
Navigate on autopilot requires the maps as well
TACC also uses map and speed limit data from the map database.

• Love
Superchargers require navigation to precondition to allow for maximum charge speed.
Navigate on autopilot requires the maps as well
TACC also uses map and speed limit data from the map database.
My guess: without payment after 8 years, only the navigation is artificially blocked from view but for the purpose of automation system, TACC, AP/FSD, it’s still working.

That means you only need to pay FSD once and if you won't pay more, only the navigation won't work but you wouldn't lose your money on the FSD.

FSD will self drive expertly without hitting anyone just like a horse without a destination. But all the speed, stopping for traffic lights... will still work.