Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Owner Experiance - Louisiana

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I confirmed with location there is currently no issues.
Must have got whatever it was figured out between then and now.
Said it was like that up to a few weeks ago but got the registration issues corrected.

Pretty well actually.
1. Confirmed with what location ? You are in IL. You called Houston to make a point ?
2. Must have got what figured out ? I spoke to Houston dealer day before yesterday and I cant go pick it up, my car is there now. Pretty sure they would know.
3. You edited the post and added that last part, then posted a snippy reply.

Pretty well actually.
1. Confirmed with what location ? You are in IL. You called Houston to make a point ?
2. Must have got what figured out ? I spoke to Houston dealer day before yesterday and I cant go pick it up, my car is there now. Pretty sure they would know.
3. You edited the post and added that last part, then posted a snippy reply.

Yes, actually I did call the Houston location as one of the people in this thread is a referral of mine and picking up his car on Monday.
There are currently no issues with picking up his car in Houston.
His advisor confirmed with the North American registrations supervisor. Not sure who this person is however if your having an issue I would recommend you try and confirm w this person.

Last edited:
Where may I ask did you get the check list? Im trying to figure out if I should do the inspection at delivery or do it at the comfort of my home and THEN notify them of any blemishes. I just feel as though I wouldn't be able to do a thorough look through with them watching over my shoulders.

I can assure you that you are MUCH more likely to get a happy result if you inspect the car prior to delivery and require them to repair all defects before you will accept the car. You have a great deal more leverage prior to acceptance rather than dealing with it as a warranty issue after you have bought the car... unless you are prepared to return the car with all the hassle and expense. I say expense because once they deliver the car to you I doubt you can get back fees and taxes you have paid to the state. Also consider that once you take delivery of the car it is a "used" car and Tesla can't undo that. If you end up rejecting the car before it is delivered they can always repair the car to their own satisfaction and sell it to someone else as a "new" car still.

There are Tesla's in Louisiana. There has been a Service Center claiming to be opening in NOLA for the last two years. Not sure when it will open. Anyway - I really wanted to hop on the band wagon. And I am retired. And I have a second vehicle and a scooter.

I'm not saying that I will be happy if I have to get service 300 miles away - but hopefully something will pop up around here soon???

Man! That is wishful thinking. Tesla had announced closing of all their sales centers until an uproar caused them to change their minds. They are not in a big hurry to expand the service network because that doesn't typically get a lot of attention before delivery. The remoteness of service is in reality a much bigger issue than charging facilities, but people don't think about that. Charging is a "new" thing, so people are excited about issues with that when they should be looking at Tesla as a NEW auto company and all the issues that creates. There is no independent network for repair. Tesla service centers is all you got. I believe they will tow you up to 50 miles... that's it.

Think about that long and hard.

Just got off the phone. Here is what I got.
Your buddy CAN pick up the car there. He cannot get a plate or temp tag for it, so he will be driving back with no registration and no plate on the car. The packet comes in the mail 7-10 days after. They are not a dealer in Tx. Tx doesnt allow them to put temp tags on out of state cars.

Just got off the phone. Here is what I got.
Your buddy CAN pick up the car there. He cannot get a plate or temp tag for it, so he will be driving back with no registration and no plate on the car. The packet comes in the mail 7-10 days after. They are not a dealer in Tx. Tx doesnt allow them to put temp tags on out of state cars.
Got it, so I guess if you wanted to as well you could get your car there if you wanted.
Just bring a plate w you and have your paperwork handy if you get pulled over.
Im sure the police will understand that your transfer is pending.
Thanks for the info.

Yup, sounds exactly like that.

I would recommend against the random plate on it. APL's on the interstate would read it and some have the ability to compare the programmed vehicle outline to it. Meaning if you took it off your F-150 and drive back with it on the Model 3, the plate would get read and compared to the registered vehicle and not match dimensionally, and would be an alert for a switched tag. Prob a bad idea.

Last edited:
My inside guy is going to be calling the store to straighten it out.
He is telling me they are able to issue temp tags for out of state buyers and again confirmed w his head of veh registrations.
Sound like the store location has old information. Not that it matters in your situation as yours is getting delivered but for future buyers they will have correct info.

My inside guy is going to be calling the store to straighten it out.
He is telling me they are able to issue temp tags for out of state buyers and again confirmed w his head of veh registrations.
Sound like the store location has old information. Not that it matters in your situation as yours is getting delivered but for future buyers they will have correct info.

I bought my car in Virginia since South Carolina has no facilities of any nature. I was given 30 day VA tags but got chased out of SC by a hurricane before I could get the permanent tags. The VA sales office couldn't seem to do anything for me and it looked like I was going to be stuck in VA until I could get back to SC somehow without the Tesla. Getting the tags by mail was a disaster, lots of wrong info from SC DMV and long hold times. Eventually I got connected with Maryland Tesla sales and they got me 60 day MD tags.

I'm not sure this was strictly legal, but I'm not sure it matters a lot. It't not like you are going to be stopped and grilled about all the details.