Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Owner Experiance - Louisiana

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my first Tesla incorrectly. I had a referral code from a fellow Louisiana owner. I ordered through the website and not thru the link. I attempted to get Tesla's assistance to manually enter the code. I also had typo's in the registration info. After two weeks of no help from Tesla (I had a VIN assigned and was preparing for delivery), I cancelled my order. I waited for my refund - and then re-ordered the same Tesla.

I read on this forum about some of the defects on new Tesla's. This combined with the fact that I am taking delivery by truck led me to decide to inspect the vehicle in Houston prior to shipment.

Our ordered car arrived at the delivery center in Houston, Texas. I found an awesome three page checklist that came in real handy, loaded wifie in the car for a ten hour 600 mile (five hour 300+ one way) mile trip from NOLA to Houston. I did not want to risk accepting a car off the truck and then find out I needed to return it - or have work completed on it 300 miles away.

The car had some paint blemishes (mostly on the front bumper). Everything else was acceptable. The delivery guy told us it was unusual for buyers to inspect prior to shipment, but was happy to oblige our request. I ignored the blemishes because I have never been able to maintain a flawless front bumper during normal driving/parking.

This process was not an easy experience for us. The delivery problem is really caused by Louisiana state laws (the law bans direct-to-consumer sales). We own Tesla stock and will soon be Tesla owners. I am excited and motivated to own this car. The only minor problem which caused an additional two week delay was that we could not change registration info or add a referral code.

I hope that soon Tesla's buying experience can be made easier so that buyers less motivated than me will not be turned off of the process.

Where may I ask did you get the check list? Im trying to figure out if I should do the inspection at delivery or do it at the comfort of my home and THEN notify them of any blemishes. I just feel as though I wouldn't be able to do a thorough look through with them watching over my shoulders.

Tesla Model 3 Delivery Checklist: Detailed and Complete | Torque News

The Houston Tesla center was not a problem to do the inspection.

The guy who was helping us was a "delivery guy". He was busy doing "delivery stuff" so he left us alone. He was helpful and offered us whatever we needed, but we told him we were inspecting. I could have stayed as long as I liked.

I did have to find him to go get the key, because I did want to check the alignment. He wasn't sales - he was delivery - so he drove - which was fine by me.

Attachments

• Tesla Model-3-Delivery-Checklist.pdf
    74.7 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
I give people a lot of credit for being willing to buy a Tesla in a state that does not allow direct sales. I’m not sure if the actual nearest service center is really 300 miles away but if it is that would be a second reason to give me pause. But if you want a Tesla and live in a state that does not allow direct sales you just have to go with the flow and hope for the best. Glad to hear it all worked out.

Reactions: luke68bird
There are Tesla's in Louisiana. There has been a Service Center claiming to be opening in NOLA for the last two years. Not sure when it will open. Anyway - I really wanted to hop on the band wagon. And I am retired. And I have a second vehicle and a scooter.

I'm not saying that I will be happy if I have to get service 300 miles away - but hopefully something will pop up around here soon???

I give people a lot of credit for being willing to buy a Tesla in a state that does not allow direct sales. I’m not sure if the actual nearest service center is really 300 miles away but if it is that would be a second reason to give me pause. But if you want a Tesla and live in a state that does not allow direct sales you just have to go with the flow and hope for the best. Glad to hear it all worked out.
Yeah, it's a bit of a leap of faith. Mine got home delivered after 15 emails with my IDA. No phone calls, he would never give me his number! Home delivery is 3rd party, so it's either accept or reject. Mine was delivered at night, at a mall since the semi couldn't get down my snow-covered dirt road in December. Even better, it had ZERO SOC! The driver said he loaded it that way?!? Wha? I pushed it back on the semi, and we took it 10 miles away to another mall with a SC. There, I got to inspect it under parking lot lights while it was charging. Ha! Better hope and pray it's all good. Luckily for me, it's been fine. I haven't had to take it to a SC for anything, but that was really totally luck.

I was hoping I could write about a great experience. Buying a Tesla for me has been an exercise in patience.

I took delivery three weeks ago (offloaded from the truck - drove home and parked in the garage).

After seven days Tesla was contacted to check the status of my DMV packet. Tesla response - "Oh you took delivery, thanks, we will get that packet out to you in 7-10 days". WTH!

So we start waiting another 7-10 days. Yesterday was the tenth day. Still no DMV packet.

Tesla sent a response to an email - My DMV packet will be here on Friday.

So I have a paid for car that is totally un-drivable, and I lost the use of my second car trade in.

Maybe ... one day I can see what its like to drive a Tesla.

Is definitely bizarre how Tesla treats the referral link system. It is one rule they enforce strictly.
I heard it was abused a year or so back, prompting Elon to tweet about it and when that happened it shifted the other way.

Overall it costs Telsa so little and has angered many owners/buyers so doesn't make good business sense to enforce the link rule but it how it currently is.

If you look at my original post, it was dated August 13. They have had my money and my perfectly good car since then. If you don't know, my car has been "bricked". I cannot drive it because I don't have a temp tag.

Anyway, I got my DMV packet on Monday. I am going to register the car today. I hope to be driving today (I have driven it, but just around the neighborhood).

I am actually excited to drive this car.

Reactions: Phlier
Well I take delivery of mine Monday. This should be interesting. I am still waiting for a reply about the registration packet.

Email/contact your delivery guy the minute you get your car. Ask them when you will get your packet. Don't give them the added 7-10 days. Tell him that you cannot drive your car in Louisiana. Tell them that not having a car is causing a hardship. Start with as much pressure as you can, because normal business communication (concern for the customer - they have your money - and Elon has your delivery for the next quarterly report) doesn't work with Tesla.

Reactions: Phlier
How are you picking it up in Houston ? They cant do that. It has to be delivered to you in La.

I purchased a M3P- inventory car that's only at the Houston store. I was told I couldn't have it delivered so I'm going to pick it up. I've read a few other LA buyers have done the same. Is there something I am missing? I'd hate to drive their and be told differently.