Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Owner questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla just baked in the ADM. Their car prices were raised significantly in 2021 while other auto manufactures prices did not increase anywhere near the amount Teslas did. Dealers are greedy tho I agree.
Several Toyota dealers around us are charging markups between $5-15k depending on the model, with an additional $2.5k in dealer adds. I’d rather take Tesla’s price increase.

Several Toyota dealers around us are charging markups between $5-15k depending on the model, with an additional $2.5k in dealer adds. I’d rather take Tesla’s price increase.
GM and Ford are cracking down on this. Don't know if Toyota will do the same or not.

Just got a quote of $600 from the electrician for installing a 240v 14-50 outlet just below my breaker box. 😳
Hope for that price he's including a Hubbell 14-50 outlet, and not a $15 Leviton. Still seems way high.

You will need a 14-50 adapter for the charger that comes with the car. Tesla was BO on these as of last week when I tried to order one for my son.
Materials cost for the 14-50 should be in the $100-125 range since it's next to your breaker box. My son put one in just below his box and I think it was around $100 for everything.

Sometimes when Electricians hears the outlet is for a Tesla, prices go up.

Last edited:
Just got a quote of $600 from the electrician for installing a 240v 14-50 outlet just below my breaker box. 😳

Tell him it's for a big gas guzzling RV and he'll charge you $200 ...

Yeah, that's a bit pricey if you've got an easily accessed space, not any kind of weird construction, room in the box.

FYI, the Hubbell outlet is considered more of an industrial spec, better constructed, supports more insertions (though that's greatly overblown if you're not doing it daily), it would at least support that price (they're like $100 vs. $15 for a chain store brand).

What's the hourly rate? $125? So if it's a cheaper Levitron, some #6 wire, a basket and plate, that's ~$75 worth of parts, heck call it $100, so $500 for labor? Are they seriously suggesting it's a 4 hour job?

You might also ask about a 3-wire run to an N6-50.

FWIW, ours was $220 with parts.

[Edited to add] Maybe there's some kind of permitting cost, so hourly rate + better parts + permit?

Last edited:
Reactions: CheapBastid
Electric,
Took delivery of a used Model Y Long Range last Saturday. Bought the Tesla from a member of this forum. Delivery went flawless. Last summer I had a NEMA 14-50 plug with a 50 amp breaker installed in my garage. At this time that is all that I need to charge the Y. One thing that you are going to need is a NEMA 14-50 adapter for the charging cord. You can get them from Tesla ( when they are in stock ), eBay, Amazon, Marketplace on Facebook, and other sources. Some of Tesla's Service Centers have them in stock. Congratulations on your purchase and enjoy.

Reactions: ElectricNerd
That is not what has been reported in the past, if the car came with FSD it could be removed. Perhaps speak with another rep, you may get a different answer. Perhaps there is another forum member who could weigh in on this who has bought a used car from Tesla and had the FSD removed. I don’t see why it cannot be removed, it is only software.

I should probably read to the end of the thread, because someone likely already said this, but tesla will NOT remove FSD from their USED car inventory. They will only remove it from their NEW car "in stock" inventory.

Reactions: ElectricNerd
I asked the sales consultant at Vroom about the charge cable and he assured that if it was missing they’d take care of it. I was thinking just a 240v outlet near my breaker box in the garage, so thank you all who mentioned that! What third party chargers would y’all recommend? Would this void anything with Tesla if I went third party? I’ll take a look at the Chargepoint charger. I’ll need to ask my utility provider what their rebate covers.

It can get to 105-110 in the summer here and the heat index even hotter. My concern would be getting a sunburn through the glass.
I just use an extension cable to connect to my dryer outlet. overnight charge is all you require to get it full.

Must be one heck of a thick extension cord to do this.
Thought I read that it is not recommended to use any type of extension cord when charging a Tesla or any EV.

It should be fine with a properly manufactured cord. A buddy of mine ran a welder with what had to be a 25-50 foot extension for years.

Just get something with proper certs, etc., like this from Home Depot:

5 year warranty, UL, C-UL listed, one of the reviews even indicates using it charge a Tesla. :)

It should be fine with a properly manufactured cord. A buddy of mine ran a welder with what had to be a 25-50 foot extension for years.

Just get something with proper certs, etc., like this from Home Depot:

5 year warranty, UL, C-UL listed, one of the reviews even indicates using it charge a Tesla. :)
I would be cautious about using that because most people put in a 50amp breaker, #6 AWG wire. That ext cord is rated for 30amp and probably using #8AWG wire which is thinner.

I asked the sales consultant at Vroom about the charge cable and he assured that if it was missing they’d take care of it. I was thinking just a 240v outlet near my breaker box in the garage, so thank you all who mentioned that! What third party chargers would y’all recommend? Would this void anything with Tesla if I went third party? I’ll take a look at the Chargepoint charger. I’ll need to ask my utility provider what their rebate covers.

It can get to 105-110 in the summer here and the heat index even hotter. My concern would be getting a sunburn through the glass.
The Tesla Mobile Charger with a NEMA 14-50 will easily do the job. But if you want something else ClipperCreek makes great charging stations. I have installed about a dozen of them without a hint of a problem. American designed and built as well.