Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tesla owner ...wall outlet or new wall charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed a 14-50, then bought a 14-50 dryer cord to wire into my Tesla wall connector. The wall connector is plugged into the 14-50. Works fantastic, and future-proofs my house somewhat. That way, when I move, all I have to do is unplug my wall connector, and unscrew it from the wall. The house is still left with a 14-50 for the next EV or PHEV.

it works so well that I installed a 2nd 14-50 on the other side of the garage for a 2nd car at some point in the future. I was doing some electrical work anyway, and it just made sense to save a bunch of additional work later.
can you share your setup I am little confused .A picture would be great

It's a "portable" HPWC. Instead of hardwiring it, he's wired in a dryer cord. It can then be plugged in to a 14-50 receptacle

Why?

-It's now a 40 amp rated 14-50 connection. The 14-50 adapter for your UMC is rated at 32 amps.
- It can be taken off of the 14-50 for security, or to allow another EV to plug into the 14-50
- It can be put in the frunk for a higher power charge

Me - I like my HPWC AND 14-50 (On plugshare): PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

IMG_0059.JPG

can you please tell me why you would want a 14-50 along with HPWC and share a pic of your setup
In a word, options. An outlet gives me the option to use other equipment; namely a welder. Another option is to use the mobile connector (MC) if the HPWC went bad; HPWC can be unplugged and the MC connected in a pinch.

The [functional] cost to use a plug is a drop in peak charging from 48A hard wired to 40A with a plug. Since the car is typically charged at 10A and never charged at 40A, the cost to me was negligible.

B6418565-F4CE-433D-AB00-FA8BEF8ECD95.jpeg

Here is the current setup. I still have to finish up the drywall and paint so it doesn’t look quite so nasty. The cord goes across one side of the garage (under the bike rack) and stores in the holder between the garage doors.

I wired in the other side of the garage for a 14-50 too, but haven’t connected it yet. I’ll do that once it gets a bit warmer. I pulled the wire since I finished that part of the basement and want to put in the wiring while it was relatively easy, so I could do a bit of future proofing. Right now I can charge inside or outside without any problems, but our next vehicle will either be an EV or PHEV.

Attachments

• DE8F9865-C8F1-4632-8091-3671AB079C51.jpeg
    DE8F9865-C8F1-4632-8091-3671AB079C51.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 4D349720-65DA-46B9-A18F-6B8D2395C379.jpeg
    4D349720-65DA-46B9-A18F-6B8D2395C379.jpeg
    625 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
On one side of my garage, I ran it insideView attachment 636816 View attachment 636817 the wall, on the other, I went along the outside through conduit. It’s all 8/3 wire, about 60’ from panel to outlet, on a 40amp circuit breaker. I still have to install the box and hook it all up.
Thank you it looks nice and now I got it .I also liked the way you took the wire from outside the house .I am doing the same rather than going through drywall

The [functional] cost to use a plug is a drop in peak charging from 48A hard wired to 40A with a plug. Since the car is typically charged at 10A and never charged at 40A, the cost to me was negligible.
Corrections:
  1. As I understand it, circuit breaker rating must match outlet rating to reduce risk of circuit / outlet overheat and fire. You can pull heavier gauge wire if you want the option to later install circuit breaker and directly attach HPWC with higher Amperage capacity.
  2. In US, EV charging is continuous load. It is limited to 80% of circuit's rated capacity. Thus, for 50-Amp outlet and breaker, 40 Amps is the limit.
  3. When you configure HPWC - internal dial for Gen 2; wireless for Gen 3 - set it to circuit breaker / outlet rating. 50 Amps in your case. The device does the arithmetic, will accordingly limit current to 40 Amps in your case.
In my case, 100 Amp circuit breaker and cable. We have two Gen 2 chargers - driveway & garage. The "master" HPWC is configured at 100 Amp circuit capacity. The HPWCs will provide up to 80 Amps total charge current. My friend's older S can charge at 80 Amps when he visits. If my wife's 3 and my S are both connected, then the HPWCs divide 80 Amps between the cars.

Corrections:
  1. As I understand it, circuit breaker rating must match outlet rating to reduce risk of circuit / outlet overheat and fire. You can pull heavier gauge wire if you want the option to later install circuit breaker and directly attach HPWC with higher Amperage capacity.
  2. In US, EV charging is continuous load. It is limited to 80% of circuit's rated capacity. Thus, for 50-Amp outlet and breaker, 40 Amps is the limit.
  3. When you configure HPWC - internal dial for Gen 2; wireless for Gen 3 - set it to circuit breaker / outlet rating. 50 Amps in your case. The device does the arithmetic, will accordingly limit current to 40 Amps in your case.
In my case, 100 Amp circuit breaker and cable. We have two Gen 2 chargers - driveway & garage. The "master" HPWC is configured at 100 Amp circuit capacity. The HPWCs will provide up to 80 Amps total charge current. My friend's older S can charge at 80 Amps when he visits. If my wife's 3 and my S are both connected, then the HPWCs divide 80 Amps between the cars.
Not sure what you’re “correcting.” You’re right; a circuit’s continuous load should pull only 80% of a breaker’s capacity. Thus, a hardwired HPWC will pull 48A of current on a typical 60A circuit and a HPWC with a NEMA 14-50 added should be limited to 40A on a 50A breaker/outlet. The point of the post is losing 8A of charging capacity with a 14-50 vs hardwire; something to consider if someone is thinking about going with a HPWC/14-50 combo.

Annoyed to find the BC rebate offer ended Feb 28 and application forms were taken offline. I bought the v3 charger with 18.5 ft cord and get ~72km/hr charge rate on a 60a breaker. The cord length provided is barely the length of the car, so think carefully about placement before you install. I wish I had planned the location better so the weight of the cord is not pulling sideways and putting stress on the charge port