Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tesla owner ...wall outlet or new wall charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also have a 14-50 plug installed in my garage. Originally this was 40A (8ga) and we used the portable charger (which at the time came default with a 14-50 plug adapter). After we got a plug-in charger (Tesla sold those for a while) it also used the 14-50, so we replaced the wiring with 6ga and upped the breaker to 50A. It had heat issues in the pug cord, so Tesla replaced it under warranty, but with a Gen2 charger.

Our service is 100A. We have charging scheduled for 1AM so it's unlikely we'll blow the main breaker - not likely going to have A/C, dryer, and oven all running while we're charging. (Natural gas heating in house). At 40A I get about 59k/hr charging. I rarely need more than a few ours. Can't rcall a time when I had to stop charging before it was done. 1AM to 7AM is usually plenty of charge, it's done well before that. For winter weather, a "scheduled departure" option is better. Or, I was told warm up the battery by activating climate and giving it a little while to warm up when still plugged in.

I used a GE power cord to connect the Gen2 charger to the existing 14-50 socket:
General Electric WX09X10037 4-Feet 50-Amp 4 Wire Range Cord (Search for this on Amazon.ca)
It's rated for 50A; with theGen2 set for 40A (80%) the cord never even gets warm. My plug is on the wall beside my charger, so 4' is all I need.
The red and black are 6ga, the neutral and ground are 8ga. To install, cut off the lugs, cap off the white.neutral (not used). Make sure all connections are screwed down FIRMLY.
Easy to install, and the mobile charger is still available as a backup - but now it's in our undertrunk, beside the set of jack pads.

I suspect that to get the rebate from your province for the install cost, you would need to show proof/receipt that a licensed contractor did the install. At least, that's how things like rebates for upgraded insulation and new windows work in this province.

Thank you it looks nice and now I got it .I also liked the way you took the wire from outside the house .I am doing the same rather than going through drywall

Just onetime issue and warning. GEN2 Tesla are out of production. I bought two of the last ones, both failed, glitchy hardware. Sadly The Gen3 has a shorter cord than the GEN2.

I ended up with a Tesla J1772 destination charger, which works, but... wasn’t where I started.

So 3rd party purchases may be more grief than you expect. And Tesla cannot fix/replace Gen2 chargers.

Just onetime issue and warning. GEN2 Tesla are out of production. I bought two of the last ones, both failed, glitchy hardware. Sadly The Gen3 has a shorter cord than the GEN2.

I ended up with a Tesla J1772 destination charger, which works, but... wasn’t where I started.

So 3rd party purchases may be more grief than you expect. And Tesla cannot fix/replace Gen2 chargers.
If gen 2 is working its working Or a new one out of box won't work as well ?

If gen 2 is working its working Or a new one out of box won't work as well ?

there are no “New” GEN2 chargers.

there may be ones in third party storage, but it’s not knowable if they work until installed. If they don’t, they cannot be fixed.

My new GEN2 worked for a few minutes, then locked up. Multiple mobile Tesla Ranger visits and much time with Tesla Energy on the phone. No improvements achieved.

I had to replace it with a Tesla destination J1772 charger since I needed the 24 foot cable(for the MY). Gen3 is only 18 feet, I think.

That is the concern with third party Tesla charger. The long term value of in-production charger should be considered, Gen3 or 14-50 designs.

I use 14-30 plug with Tesla adapter and an extra mobile connector cable that’s alway plugged in at home for the M3. The mobile charger and a handful of Tesla adapters are stored with jack pads are stored in the vehicle in the sub trunk.. (They are rarely used with all the Superchargers.)

the other possible value of a Gen3 charger is that it *might* in a year or two, be able to return power to the house when the grid goes down. The hardware is capable, but the software is not setup.

It would at best allow 40 Amps of 240v to return to the house. That would be 9.6 kw. About one powerwall. But, potentially useful....

Last edited: