Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Pick Up Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my brand new Tesla Model S Friday at the Fremont Tesla pickup location. My appointment was for 12 PM. When I got there, I had to park like quarter of mile away. I had to walk back in the sun to the showroom. It took like 30 mins before I even found out who was the guy who is taking care of my car. After I signed over the check and did the basic paper work, I waited. Two hours later, I still don't have my car. At this point, I am a little agitated. The place is like a zoo. There were many people all over the place. I am assuming they are all there picking up their new Tesla. By the cars parked in the front, it appears many are getting Model 3s. Anyway, my assigned Tesla person ended up ordering Lyft for me to take me to lunch. They offered to pay for lunch, and give me a ride back.

After 3.5 hours, I finally got my Tesla at 3:30 PM. He did not even do a walk through on the new features. I think he assumed that I am a previous Tesla owner, it was not necessary. Also, we got nothing with our new Tesla. I didn't get a Tesla mug and a hat like the first time. It didn't even come with Tesla key fob cover. I told him I wanted my old ones back from the old Tesla. He declined first. Ultimately, he went back and got it for me. My new Tesla drove a little off on the highway on the way home. When I checked tire pressure at home, they were all at 40 PSI. Shouldn't they at least set the right tire pressure at 45 PSI before they give new cars to new owners?

When I got my first Tesla, it was a much better experience 3 years ago. My Tesla was under a big red gift bow tie. I didn't have to wait, and the delivery person walked me through all the features. For the 3.5 hours, I at least got a free sushi lunch out of it.

As someone who has owned multiple other cars including BMWs and Lexuses, I got to say Lexus easily got the best customer experience ever. For a car that costed about $100K, Tesla really needs to improve this experience. I really hope service experience will be better if my car ever need some servicing.

Did the fact that this has been occurring at major locations for weeks, or that the place was like a zoo suggest that your weekend delivery was going to take a little bit of time? How many more people were picking up cars than 3 years ago?

Regrettably, you are now buying from a manufacturer that is making mode Model 3s than ALL of the BMWs combined.

It's not the most desired, it will be fixed, but you got a car!

You're supposed to watch the videos online before you show up, they explain everything... for example using Autopilot is summed up in less than a minute with no mention of how to use it safely (efficient!) .

The major fail is the 3.5 hours for you to get your car; under the new goal, you should have been out of there in under 5 minutes. . Elon is right... the experience in buying a new > $70k car, should be equivalent to buying a $5 Frappuccino. Walk in... grab your car and a straw and walk out.... bows and talking to humans is obviously overrated.

</sardonic>

• Funny
Reactions: MarkKW and UncaNed
You're supposed to watch the videos online before you show up, they explain everything... for example using Autopilot is summed up in less than a minute with no mention of how to use it safely (efficient!) .

The major fail is the 3.5 hours for you to get your car; under the new goal, you should have been out of there in under 5 minutes. . Elon is right... the experience in buying a new > $70k car, should be equivalent to buying a $5 Frappuccino. Walk in... grab your car and a straw and walk out.... bows and talking to humans is obviously overrated.

</sardonic>

Which is exactly what I was hoping for. Before the process, I was expecting maybe 45 mins at most just like the first time. My pick up time is at 12 pm. At minimal, I was expecting the car to be ready. I don't care about someone walking me through the screens since I can figure those out on my own.

However, it would have been nice if they made the owner feel a little special. It would have been nice to give new owners Tesla hats, Tesla t-shirts, Tesla key chains, or even Tesla mugs.

No matter how you look at it, 3.5 hours waiting is just ridiculous. At minimal, they should communicate better before the appointment to let owners know it will be late.

This is my second Tesla so I love the car obviously. However, Tesla keep treating owners like cattles will backfire at some point. Multiple manufacturers are coming out with their own versions of electric cars in the near future. Competition will get fierce.

Reactions: Ulmo
We picked up our MS yesterday.
The car was washed ("detailed" if you listened to them) but their attention to detail was really not that great - there was glue down the drivers side from the front bumper to the rear bumper. They cleaned 'most' of it off when I pointed it out. I will do a better job washing it properly this weekend.

They tried to hype us up a bit with the whole "congratulations" to everyone, but it was lackluster and even my kids were not impressed. (Balloons would have had them in seconds.) The car was sitting outside, in the sun. It was hot. They had the AC turned up to 11, so he was trying to explain stuff to us with the fans blowing hard. The car was only 60% charged. Process still took over an hour, with most of it being us sitting around.
We did not get ANY swag. Not even "zero emission" plates, or holsters. In fact, I did not even get TESLA plate frames, one was blank, and one said "all wheel drive". They did not have TShirts available (even for purchase) or hats, and were out of HPWC (I bought one at a different SC today.) Even the wife asked why we didn't get a plate.

Still, I'm happy with the car. No scratches that I can find, and if there are any now, they're gonna be minor, and will polish out. The car was clean, until my kids sat in it. The panels line up, and everything opens and closes as it should.

The car was not updated, and I installed the 36.2 update last night. 5GB data download, and 5GB data upload last night. The update happened easily.

Totally agree. I'm still going through the mess of getting a replacement vehicle. Tesla's delivery and purchase experience is just poor. The owner advisor is good but definitely lacking compared to BMW, and other established luxury brands. They have a really new talentbase, most of the staff I spoke to are pretty new and green.

I just got my brand new Tesla Model S Friday at the Fremont Tesla pickup location. My appointment was for 12 PM. When I got there, I had to park like quarter of mile away. I had to walk back in the sun to the showroom. It took like 30 mins before I even found out who was the guy who is taking care of my car. After I signed over the check and did the basic paper work, I waited. Two hours later, I still don't have my car. At this point, I am a little agitated. The place is like a zoo. There were many people all over the place. I am assuming they are all there picking up their new Tesla. By the cars parked in the front, it appears many are getting Model 3s. Anyway, my assigned Tesla person ended up ordering Lyft for me to take me to lunch. They offered to pay for lunch, and give me a ride back.

After 3.5 hours, I finally got my Tesla at 3:30 PM. He did not even do a walk through on the new features. I think he assumed that I am a previous Tesla owner, it was not necessary. Also, we got nothing with our new Tesla. I didn't get a Tesla mug and a hat like the first time. It didn't even come with Tesla key fob cover. I told him I wanted my old ones back from the old Tesla. He declined first. Ultimately, he went back and got it for me. My new Tesla drove a little off on the highway on the way home. When I checked tire pressure at home, they were all at 40 PSI. Shouldn't they at least set the right tire pressure at 45 PSI before they give new cars to new owners?

When I got my first Tesla, it was a much better experience 3 years ago. My Tesla was under a big red gift bow tie. I didn't have to wait, and the delivery person walked me through all the features. For the 3.5 hours, I at least got a free sushi lunch out of it.

As someone who has owned multiple other cars including BMWs and Lexuses, I got to say Lexus easily got the best customer experience ever. For a car that costed about $100K, Tesla really needs to improve this experience. I really hope service experience will be better if my car ever need some servicing.

Guess I’m different as I want to be in and out within 5 mins...

Yeh, a lot of weirdos used to fly across the country to pick up their car at the factory and drive it back... whudda waste o'time.

For some humans $100k = $5 Frappucino; for others... it's a lot of money and they like (deserve?) nice experiences.

(I also strongly feel that Tesla is morally corrupt for not spending time with new owners and explaining how to use Autopilot safely).

Last edited:
Reactions: TMSfanatic
Yeh, a lot of weirdos used to fly across the country to pick up their car at the factory and drive it back... whudda waste o'time.

For some humans $100k = $5 Frappucino; for others... it's a lot of money and they like (deserve?) nice experiences.

(I also strongly feel that Tesla is morally corrupt for not spending time with new owners and explaining how to use Autopilot safely).
I got zero orientation service buying a 10X item (house) and it’s the industry norm...

Reactions: UncaNed
Guess I’m different as I want to be in and out within 5 mins...

You can't be serious...Car isn't the same as house. You can buy a $10m home and I'll still customize it to my liking. Cars are built with a designed experience, a walkthrough will showcase and tell you how to optimize that experience

There's a reason why BMW are using their product geniuses to help new owners understand their cars. Different segment to Toyota or Hyundai's...

I've flown to Munich to pick up my brand new BMWs and you can be assured that factory experience is much more consistent to the brand values than local dealers (the way they prep the cars, service experience, etc).

So yes I enjoy getting that premium experience from time to time. If I'm flying coach, I can find my own seat, but when I fly first I want them to stow my suit jacket for me.

My local SC (Columbus, OH) emailed several local owners asking for help over the next several days with new buyers taking delivery, in exchange for some unnamed Tesla merch. They anticipate we could help with general orientation, questions, home charging and so on. I'm in for Saturday. I would have appreciated a non-corporate answer if I had such an opportunity. So we"ll see how it goes but I'm hoping to be able to help out.

Good idea.

You can't be serious...Car isn't the same as house. You can buy a $10m home and I'll still customize it to my liking. Cars are built with a designed experience, a walkthrough will showcase and tell you how to optimize that experience

There's a reason why BMW are using their product geniuses to help new owners understand their cars. Different segment to Toyota or Hyundai's...

I've flown to Munich to pick up my brand new BMWs and you can be assured that factory experience is much more consistent to the brand values than local dealers (the way they prep the cars, service experience, etc).

So yes I enjoy getting that premium experience from time to time. If I'm flying coach, I can find my own seat, but when I fly first I want them to stow my suit jacket for me.
That’s like saying I enjoy the lines at the store and love looking for parking spot all to to realize the item isn’t in stock. Old thinking. Your buying a car with very little old thinking. It’s ok someone doesn’t hold your hand.

Intended on picking up my new vehicle this morning at the Tampa delivery center. After reading this forum for months I prayed I would not join the masses who have had brutal experiences with undermanned and undertrained crews. But as I was driving to accept my inventory vehicle (less than 50 Miles). I got an email saying there was bumper damage from the transport truck and would need to be rescheduled for “sometime in Mid Oct”. Very disappointing and completely unprofessional. I may be out on Tesla before I was technically in.

That’s like saying I enjoy the lines at the store and love looking for parking spot all to to realize the item isn’t in stock. Old thinking. Your buying a car with very little old thinking. It’s ok someone doesn’t hold your hand.

drive-up-chapel-200x300.jpg

I guess we all have different ideas on how we want to experience certain events in our lives.

It's the worst possible time to get a new tesla. They're scrambling to get as many model 3's delivered as they can before quarter ends and fremont is notoriously the worst service center right now. It will get better when the model 3 rush calms down.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
+1 with EnzoXYZ. I want to be out ASAP. It should be organized and not a "zoo", maybe they should ask the customer how much 'intro' they want?

But in general I cringe at all the fake love some companies pile on in a desperate bid for a customer satisfaction score. They should put a question on those surveys "Did you get what you needed or did we waste your time"