Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I am a long time lurker and have now finally signed up! I am about to place an order for the Model S after putting a deposit down on the new panamera. I took a Tesla out on a test drive and I was sold on Tesla so the Panamera is not going ahead now . The knowledge and information on the forum is amazing and true asset to all Tesla owners.

I am a frequent user over on Bimmerpost and I am actually coming from a BMW 5 Series.

I don't use my car too much so have opted for the 60 kWh Model S. As for spec it will be as follows:

Either Blue or Midnight Silver
Carbon Fibre Trim
Next - Gen Seats (Black)
Auto-Pilot
Premium Pack
Sub-Zero Pack

I am still in two minds about the panorama roof and the premium pack to some extent.

What is your favourite feature of the premium pack and would you all recommend it?

I plan on ordering this weekend so there is still some time for spec changes if you guys think necessary.

Thanks for all the help so far and I hope I can bring value to the forum!

Reactions: cheekychappie
Hi there

Welcome and good to hear you were converted, I was moving towards an A7 before the test drive. Panemera has grown on me too looks great but don't regret the S one bit!

The spec is always going to be personal preference but if the two I'd definitely go for Premium. My favourite feature is the power boot but the grey alacantra headliner is a nice match to my midnight silver. If you're coming from a 5 series you'll miss the pop boot for dropping things in but power boot is an upwards step.

If you're set on new stick with it but check through the showroom models as I saved £20k off list price, got all the options except pan roof, only prev owner was Tesla and had only £4K miles.

What area are you in, if you're after a play with the all the options I'm Midlands.

I'd only echo the above re pre owned. We got an ex demo with 4K miles on and saved a bundle! Interestingly when we told the sales rep our preferred spec he thought it would take some time to find one. But..... Once he really knew we were ready to buy and were not going to buy new we had a few possibles within about 10 days.
Oh and if you have the air suspension get the 21 turbine wheels. We were not bothered initially but now love the look over the standard less low profile smaller wheels and alloys.
I'm in central London if you want a look at ours any time. 85d with pretty much everything!

With the used cars, will I be able to get the 100% FYA as I'm buying the car via my business as its more tax efficient!

Should I worry about re-sale values if CPO is cheap already?! I thought the Model S had pretty good depreciation.

If I'm being honest, the only reason I want the premium pack is for the automatic boot which is expensive at £2k but the adaptive lights will be nice too!

Thanks for the offers but I live in Scotland!

Sub-Zero Pack

I was going to ask if you need that? ... but then you said:

I live in Scotland!

so maybe. Front heated seats standard, so as I understand it you get rear heated seats and wiper/nozzle heaters, and a heated steering wheel. You can pre-warm the cabin from your phone 15 minutes before you leave [using Shore-power] which eases the burden on the battery. I would recommend a separate set of rims with Winter tires.

Are you OK for Range in Scotland with a S60 ? particularly in Winter when Show, or even wet roads, will reduce range. Not many superchargers up your way as yet ...

if you have the air suspension get the 21 turbine wheels

I got 19", my thinking was better economy (i.e. Range) and I read plenty of stories of 21" drivers getting square wheels on potholes - maybe UK roads are not as bad as USA ... but I'm a rural driver.

premium pack ... but the adaptive lights will be nice too!

Isn't the HEPA filter and Ventilated front seats also included nowadays?

All this stuff is subjective of course, but two points from my experience:
  • I regret not ordering the sub-zero pack, but purely because I often travel with rear seat passengers. Many times I have suffered with the heating turned up high (watching range go down the drain and actually uncomfortably hot myself) because my daughter in the back seat is complaining of being cold, not having the benefit of heated seats. I don't think the other features of the sub-zero package are of much benefit to me - heated nozzles (do you actually get temperatures so low as to defeat washer fluid with additive in it?) and heated area on the windscreen under the parked wipers (not clear how much this really helps, particularly when using pre-heat to clear the whole windscreen before setting off anyhow). So if it was a car mainly for me to drive alone (or with one passenger) I wouldn't bother, for a family car it's valuable.
  • While I don't normally like sunroofs, I'm glad I was persuaded to have the Pano roof (provided I can keep my passengers from opening it!). The tint works well to stop any feeling of sunburn on bright days, while it gives welcome light inside the car the rest of the year and also provides extra headroom.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Thanks for all the responses!

Fortunately, where I live actually has the most electric car chargers in the UK so all is good there, just need to get an adapter for the quick chargers! I think I will opt for the sub-zero pack as I have a referral code which makes it a rather inexpensive option (around £300). As for the pano roof, I think I won't go for it.

The premium pack comes with the HEPA filter and other things but I only see the real benefit with the adaptive lights and powered tailgate

Pano roof can be problematic. Noisy, hot in the summer, and a potential ongoing service problem. I have no regrets not getting one.

As a balance to this post, just to say no problems with mine whatsoever. None.
Not hot in the summer even on the hottest sunniest days
(remember these are specced to work in SoCal which is just a touch warmer and sunnier than the UK)

That said if I had to choose between say the pano roof and the premium pack, I would go premium pack as the car with it, just adds a pleasing touch of class with the alcantara insert to the dash and additional leather trim.

A final note to the pano roof is that it is necessary to have this if you ever want to use a roofrack eg for cycles, the standard roof does not have the fittings.