Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new Tesla registration question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i took delivery of my 2023 MYP on 2/27, but i have yet to receive license plate. during the delivery, beside the delivery confirmation paper, i did not sign any DMV related form such as Vehicle/Vessel Transfer form which you would physically signed with a finance guy when you buy any other new car at a dealership. when i took delivery of my 2018 Model 3, i did have to sign a stack of paperwork during delivery. has the process changed? I logged onto my Tesla account and the only forms there under this new Model Y are Order confirmation form, loan paperwork, and other disclosure forms, none related to DMV. I'm in California by the way. is the delay in license plate normal? my neighbor picked up his model Y couple weeks after me from the same delivery center already got his plate 3 weeks ago. my question is does Tesla handle everything DMV related in new car registration?

I have a similar delivery date and signed multiple DMV forms that required inked signatures on original DMV forms. I'm still waiting for my DMV stuff too. I've seen it take 2-3 months to receive plates/reg/title so we're unfortunately within the norm.

It's strange that you didn't have to ink sign at least the vehicle transfer/reassignment CA DMV form, it's required per the instructions listed at the top of the form. You might want to contact Tesla customer service or your local sales/service center about that.

Your neighbor either got lucky or other factors come into play.

Lien vs no lien
Trade-in yes vs no
Same vs different delivery center/method

1681417889970.png

Last edited:
i took delivery of my 2023 MYP on 2/27, but i have yet to receive license plate. during the delivery, beside the delivery confirmation paper, i did not sign any DMV related form such as Vehicle/Vessel Transfer form which you would physically signed with a finance guy when you buy any other new car at a dealership. when i took delivery of my 2018 Model 3, i did have to sign a stack of paperwork during delivery. has the process changed? I logged onto my Tesla account and the only forms there under this new Model Y are Order confirmation form, loan paperwork, and other disclosure forms, none related to DMV. I'm in California by the way. is the delay in license plate normal? my neighbor picked up his model Y couple weeks after me from the same delivery center already got his plate 3 weeks ago. my question is does Tesla handle everything DMV related in new car registration?
Have you received your license plate and registration yet?

I took delivery on 2/28 and I still haven't received my DMV registration or new plates.

I contacted Tesla customer service and they told me to wait the full 3 months (temp registration and plates). They said they only see my side of the DMV paperwork that was completed during delivery, everything was correct\complete but they can't see the status on the Tesla side of them submitting the DMV paperwork.

I took delivery on 2/28 and I still haven't received my DMV registration or new plates.

I contacted Tesla customer service and they told me to wait the full 3 months (temp registration and plates). They said they only see my side of the DMV paperwork that was completed during delivery, everything was correct\complete but they can't see the status on the Tesla side of them submitting the DMV paperwork.
FYI, if you're in a similar situation as me then contact your local DMV. I was able to chat with a DMV agent online from my local DMV website and they informed me that Tesla had errors on the DMV paperwork and they were notified to fix and re-submit the DMV paperwork.

So I reached back out to Tesla customer service and informed them of the current issue and they sent a note to the Tesla DMV team to investigate.

Iam on the same boat. Got my car on 2/15 but haven't received my license plate yet. Talked Tesla SA same answer keep waiting called dmv same answer Talked to dealer. Finally the said they just registered my car on 3/26 but haven't received plate yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: chobra
My 45 day temp tags expired, and I haven't received my plates, so pinged Tesla. Response was "We will process your paperwork in order, but as fast as we can."

So... this location has 45+ days of cars they haven't processed? WTF?!

In IL they're 90 day temp plates. My permanent plates arrived in less than 2 weeks. I'm going to wait as long as possible to put them on. There won't be any questions about why my front plate is missing that way. :)

Reactions: 455dan
My 45 day temp tags expired, and I haven't received my plates, so pinged Tesla. Response was "We will process your paperwork in order, but as fast as we can."

So... this location has 45+ days of cars they haven't processed? WTF?!
You already created another thread about this, was it necessary to duplicate your complaints here? You of course left out the important info such as what State you’re in.

You already created another thread about this
I did not create "another" anything about this.

was it necessary to duplicate your complaints here?
I didn't. looks like mods merged my thread. Your nonfactual whining feels a lot less necessary.

You of course left out the important info such as what State you’re in.

1) why's that important info? Regardless of state, the delivery center hasn't even SUBMITTED paperwork by the time the temp tags expired. that feels like the i.pirtany info
2) in my profile, but GA.

I did not create "another" anything about this.

I didn't. looks like mods merged my thread. Your nonfactual whining feels a lot less necessary.

1) why's that important info? Regardless of state, the delivery center hasn't even SUBMITTED paperwork by the time the temp tags expired. that feels like the i.pirtany info
2) in my profile, but GA.
Not even worth it, go pound sand.