TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Tesla Roadster will have SpaceX options package

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by Grendal, Jun 5, 2018.

1. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

PICA-X leading surfaces for sustained high-speed runs.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. PhatCat

PhatCat Kisco Kid

HUD

• Like x 1
  3. skitown

skitown Member

Thinking slightly differently, the SpaceX package could include an up-close-and-personal Falcon Heavy launch viewing or some other SpaceX activity (Moonshot anyone! LOL). I mean for $250K+ they probably could throw in some cool stuff on the margin.

• Like x 1
  4. TexasTeslaRacing

Who here thinks the SpaceX performance package will be more than $50,000?

• Like x 2
  5. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Active Member

I agree active aero is the only feasible addition that i can think of.
    Short flights? As in, jumping the shark, maybe....

6. Grendal

Grendal SpaceX Moderator

Realistically, how about a flame paint job?

Or a Batmobile flame coming out the back (Boring Company Flamethrower) would be awesome. The exhaust from the flame is kinda counterproductive but the coolness factor might be too tempting.

7. joefee

joefee Active Member

3Gs force suit for 0-60 < 1.5 sec

• Like x 1
  8. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Mini-Roadster on dash that is the activation switch for Plaid+ (Elon mentioned reveal car is now base performance)
    Along with enhanced audio system with in seat transducers and dual subs... Launch mode now simulates FH take off.

• Funny x 1
  9. TEG

TEG Teslafanatic

It is completely reusable. After each launch, you can just go right back out and launch again !

• Funny x 2
  10. ToddHaushalter

The SpaceX version will not use of fuel obviously since this is the smack down proving electric is the future. It will not fly either - this is 2030 stuff not 2020 as it’s too dangerous and drivers are not qualified for this. But it could be faster using ion thruster tech or some sort of rocket since this does not send power to the wheels which will just spin in place if you throw more power at them. By creating thrust along with spinning wheels you give an assist to the speed. My question is if we get this free with Founders Series reservation.

11. Grendal

Grendal SpaceX Moderator

The Everyday Astronaut discusses the possibilities:

• Informative x 1
  12. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

So thrusters: am thinking that would be extremely loud, and well, not for road use?
    /GetOffMyLawn ;-)

• Like x 1
  13. mltv

mltv Member

It needs to be 4x the base price. keep it at 1mil. Don't want the rift-raft to be able afford it too.

• Funny x 1
  14. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2020.40.4

I was thinking something similar. They could just offer regular SpaceX rockets and charge like $100 million for it. It's could be option...but I doubt many would purchase it. :eek:

15. croman

croman Active Member

Elon says use it wisely but he doesn't know us humans....

• Like x 2
  16. John W. Ratcliff

I realize it's pretty damned early, but I think it's likely I will *not* be getting this option on my Roadster.

It sounds like this will be a track only feature, and I cannot justify spending what will likely be a great deal of extra money just to have bragging rights on the racetrack. Also, Elon already indicated that this option means you will lose the backseats. I really want the back seats so I can travel with both my wife *and* my dogs, which I cannot do now in my current roadster.

• Like x 1
  17. TexasTeslaRacing

Agreed. A track or drag strip only option which probably costs more than $50,000, is not practical. Perhaps they have a solution to use this on the street.

• Like x 1
  18. Grendal

Grendal SpaceX Moderator

It's going a little off topic for the SpaceX discussion of the Roadster but the issue with tracking a Tesla is having the car go into limp mode from the strain on the system. Tesla needs to fix that issue first and foremost for any consideration of using a Tesla on the track.

Some people will absolutely spend insane amounts of money just to have something that does an insane quarter mile and others will spend it to put in incredible track numbers. If the new Roadster can run an incredible lap on the Nurburgring then you'd have a line of people wanting the SpaceX package even if it was $100K more.

JMHO.

19. miimura

miimura Well-Known Member

The chilling effect from expanding the gas from the COPV could also replace the refrigerant compressor for powertrain cooling. That would leave more wattage available to accelerate the car too.

• Like x 2
  20. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Depends how much heat they took out after they compressed it.
    Phase change refrigeration is more efficient that Pvrnt..