Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Roadster will have SpaceX options package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mini-Roadster on dash that is the activation switch for Plaid+ (Elon mentioned reveal car is now base performance)
Along with enhanced audio system with in seat transducers and dual subs... Launch mode now simulates FH take off.

• Funny
Reactions: Grendal
The SpaceX version will not use of fuel obviously since this is the smack down proving electric is the future. It will not fly either - this is 2030 stuff not 2020 as it’s too dangerous and drivers are not qualified for this. But it could be faster using ion thruster tech or some sort of rocket since this does not send power to the wheels which will just spin in place if you throw more power at them. By creating thrust along with spinning wheels you give an assist to the speed. My question is if we get this free with Founders Series reservation.

I realize it's pretty damned early, but I think it's likely I will *not* be getting this option on my Roadster.

It sounds like this will be a track only feature, and I cannot justify spending what will likely be a great deal of extra money just to have bragging rights on the racetrack. Also, Elon already indicated that this option means you will lose the backseats. I really want the back seats so I can travel with both my wife *and* my dogs, which I cannot do now in my current roadster.

Reactions: Grendal
I realize it's pretty damned early, but I think it's likely I will *not* be getting this option on my Roadster.

It sounds like this will be a track only feature, and I cannot justify spending what will likely be a great deal of extra money just to have bragging rights on the racetrack. Also, Elon already indicated that this option means you will lose the backseats. I really want the back seats so I can travel with both my wife *and* my dogs, which I cannot do now in my current roadster.

Agreed. A track or drag strip only option which probably costs more than $50,000, is not practical. Perhaps they have a solution to use this on the street.

Reactions: John W. Ratcliff
It's going a little off topic for the SpaceX discussion of the Roadster but the issue with tracking a Tesla is having the car go into limp mode from the strain on the system. Tesla needs to fix that issue first and foremost for any consideration of using a Tesla on the track.

Some people will absolutely spend insane amounts of money just to have something that does an insane quarter mile and others will spend it to put in incredible track numbers. If the new Roadster can run an incredible lap on the Nurburgring then you'd have a line of people wanting the SpaceX package even if it was $100K more.

JMHO.