Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla S Owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was expecting 100D model to arrive in June but I was able to get it, unexpectedly, this weekend.
At the moment I can only charge at 12amp/4mph. My expectation is to drive about 40 miles daily.

Should I go for a higher charger? Any suggestions when the electrician shows up on Tuesday?
Thank You

For now definitely plug your car in using the 110V adapter. It will give you a 3 mph charge rate and keep you driving until your final solution is installed.

If the electrician is coming out to give you a quote and you haven't mentioned your car yet, just ask for exactly what you need to get the quote. Park the car down the street while the electrician is there. Not kidding. Quotes for these installs are proven to go up dramatically if it is for a Tesla vs. RV, for example.

If you are uncertain about how long you'll be in the house you can save a little money by putting in a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Most electric vehicles can use the outlet so you can easily leave it there when you move.

If you are not planning to move any time soon the High Power Wall Connector (HPWC) with the 24 foot cord is probably the best option. This allows you to keep the charging cable that came with your car in the vehicle in case you find that you need to charge while away from home and can't make it to a Super Charger (SuC) or a destination charger for whatever reason. The longer cord will allow you to charge outside the garage or in another garage stall if needed.

Here's a good read for all things charging: FAQ: Home Tesla charging infrastructure Q&A

And informative posts on battery life: What should my ideal charge percentage be?

Welcome and enjoy the process!

• Informative
Reactions: Brettski
For now definitely plug your car in using the 110V adapter. It will give you a 3 mph charge rate and keep you driving until your final solution is installed.

If the electrician is coming out to give you a quote and you haven't mentioned your car yet, just ask for exactly what you need to get the quote. Park the car down the street while the electrician is there. Not kidding. Quotes for these installs are proven to go up dramatically if it is for a Tesla vs. RV, for example.

If you are uncertain about how long you'll be in the house you can save a little money by putting in a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Most electric vehicles can use the outlet so you can easily leave it there when you move.

If you are not planning to move any time soon the High Power Wall Connector (HPWC) with the 24 foot cord is probably the best option. This allows you to keep the charging cable that came with your car in the vehicle in case you find that you need to charge while away from home and can't make it to a Super Charger (SuC) or a destination charger for whatever reason. The longer cord will allow you to charge outside the garage or in another garage stall if needed.

Here's a good read for all things charging: FAQ: Home Tesla charging infrastructure Q&A

And informative posts on battery life: What should my ideal charge percentage be?

Welcome and enjoy the process!
Thank you so much for this information. Very helpful.

Another option while you await home installation would be to get a "CHAdeMO" adapter from Tesla (or borrow one from a local Teslan) and use it at the Royal Farms Store charger near you.

CHAdeMO charging is quite fast ... almost comparable to Supercharging.

To find other public chargers near you, use Plugshare.

Another option while you await home installation would be to get a "CHAdeMO" adapter from Tesla (or borrow one from a local Teslan) and use it at the Royal Farms Store charger near you.

CHAdeMO charging is quite fast ... almost comparable to Supercharging.

To find other public chargers near you, use Plugshare.
Thank you so much as a Royal Farm is less than 2 miles away: where I used to Fill my Mustang

Have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in your garage as Tesla recommends and consider it part of the price of the car. You don’t want to be going to the CHAdeMO “gas station” or other charging stations around town fill up. It’s a different mindset— part of the joy of owning a Tesla is waking up to a full (meaning 80 or 90%) charge every morning.

Show this to your electrician:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/US/universalmobileconnector_nema_14-50.pdf

Reactions: skitown
40 miles a day on a 110 is no problem. 10 hours to recharge that.

Set your car to charge to a Max of 70% or 80% every night. You'll be fine.
No, if you’re only charging at 120V you want every mile you can get. In this situation there is no reason to set charge max to anything less than 90%. You don’t want the car to stop charging during the night when you could be adding more range.

There may be a theoretical advantage for the battery to only charge to 70 or 80%, but there’s not been a practical measurable difference shown in 5 years experience with the Model S.

No, if you’re only charging at 120V you want every mile you can get. In this situation there is no reason to set charge max to anything less than 90%. You don’t want the car to stop charging during the night when you could be adding more range.

There may be a theoretical advantage for the battery to only charge to 70 or 80%, but there’s not been a practical measurable difference shown in 5 years experience with the Model S.
I drive about the same as the OP and I get by charging to 60%-70% in the winter. ymmv and all that jazz.