Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Self-Driving Bus???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Makes sense...

get

Elon Praises Norway For Its Carbon-Free Vision (Video)

Skip to the 40 minute mark in the link above for to see for yourself what he said about "self-driving busses" that everybody is misquoting him on. Another example of popular news outlets like Bloomberg misguiding the public with click-bait headlines.

There are two ironic parts to quoting him as if he said that Tesla is working on a self-driving electric bus. First off, he specifically said that it was not a bus. Second, he warned that just fielding a question like that, even without giving any real detail, will be pounced upon by the media. Both points are illustrated with these quotes directly from the interview:

1) "We have an idea for something that is not exactly a bus, but would solve the density problem for inner-city situations. I think we need to rethink the concept of public transport and create something that people are actually gonna like a lot more."
2) "I need to be careful with what I say.. what will happen is that I will make an off-hand comment with a group like this, and then it will be a small, like page 3 of an article in the Norwegian Newspaper, then international press will seize on that and turn it into a big headline."

Combine this with his response to both of Adam Jonas' questions in back to back ERs, stories like this: Tesla unveils new charger that can plug itself in, and all of their other autonomous vehicle efforts... it's clear to me that they are thinking big when it comes to a Tesla ride sharing service, watch out Uber.

Reactions: jkk_
Makes sense...

get

Then why does mass transit fail in the Western USA?

Because you are not witnessing reality.

Let's say a car requires 12' x 30' for a single passenger and a train requires 3' x 3'. The drive is 20 miles at an average speed of 20 miles per hour. This is due to congestion for cars, and frequent stops for trains. If a train does not stop frequently, it cannot replace a car.

While the car can consume as much a 360 sq ft for 60 minutes, the train consumes as little 9 sq ft for 60 minutes.

Can a train consume more than 360 sq ft per passenger? Absolutely. If it takes 2 transfers, and 30 miles of actual distance, and 50% capacity, no problem at all.

It's why rail cars failed. Only subways and elevated rails can work, but they still run into the transfer issue.

No mass transit in California has proven to have a lower average commute time, or the cost effectiveness of private passenger cars.

They are all subsidized because they cost more per passenger commute than a car does.

However I do enjoy that they are actively working on banning motorcycles, which are perhaps the real solution. Bicycles, trains, rail, and cars are all slower in urban conditions than motorcycles and more expensive per mile when you consider lost productivity.

It makes a lot of sense that a future of autonomous vehicles starting in a couple years would have more demand for a purpose built small bus/delivery vehicle than a Model 4 subcompact. That would have a bigger platform than model S/X and might be a compatible platform with a Tesla full size pickup.

I think Model X will be a perfect vehicle to start the revolution with Tesla Mobility fleets about 2019, but that's mostly about skimming the high end of the market. Model Y will work well in the immediate follow up when Tesla will need volume to take advantage of market opportunity for more fleets.

A small bus, seating about 8 comfortably with easy access would be used something like Uber Pool or dial-a-ride. I'd see it as a end pickup and delivery part of a mass transit system. The system would handle local rides on a shared basis point to point and deliver/pick up from buses/streetcars/rail where it would coordinate with the lines.

It's just a cheaper, more efficient shared alternative to individual rides in an uber like autonomous vehicle fleet.

When you try to optimize on the fly routing choices for a shared system with up to 8 riders it gets pretty complex fast and would be an interesting problem for deep learning systems.

However I do enjoy that they are actively working on banning motorcycles, which are perhaps the real solution. Bicycles, trains, rail, and cars are all slower in urban conditions than motorcycles and more expensive per mile when you consider lost productivity.

- If you can do your work on a computer, than public transportation commute time is not wasted
- Cycling provides exercise
- Driving/riding requires focus on the driving and riding, making it dead time. Being a passenger on a bus or train allows you to read a book or use a computer.
- Bicycles are cheaper to buy, run and maintain so otherwise require less labor to use.

The risk of fatality riding a motorcycle is about 35X as great as as other cars or other passenger vehicles per mile traveled. Serous injury about 16X.

Mortality from cars is already way too high and something that can be brought down dramatically with autonomous vehicles. Motorcycles have to be banned ASAP on public roads in populated areas. They're fine as high risk recreation but have no place whatever in the future of transportation.

Some of my objections to "public transport" ..besides getting familiar with what your neighbor had for lunch.. is that I carry stuff in my car. MY stuff. Spare jacket, burgers, CD's, coins, tools, groceries, work tools, computers, luggage...you know..STUFF. But that stuff does not go well on a motorcycle (some can go in backpack). Taxies and Busses discourage music and smelly food. and they don't go where I want, when I want.
I am not excited about traveling as a member of a flock. Thats why I live where there is elbow room.
City denizens - can be averaged into needing a commute from "out there" to "in here" and travel on parallel vectors. They need a collection system, and a distribution system - and some way to move more than just a body, but STUFF.
If the car system evolves where I can regain my time while commuting, retain my privacy, get to my desired destination on MY schedule. Ideal yes?
So, don't care if a bus is electric.wont get me on board. But a self driving car that only needs an x/y destination and lets me be in peace while getting there...no Thats a great goal.

Walking is missing from the above comparison.

Buses have got to change from being on a set route and big, to smaller point to point, like bigger taxis and share like car pooling if on the same route as other peoples destinations.

Tesla + Bus = Tess

Tess the Bus
DSCF2893.jpg