Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Solar Owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for all the helpful info. Do you have to have solar to buy PW? If not you have to charge it from grid.

Sorry, you're right. However, I'm not sure you can get a net metering agreement without solar, so discharging into the grid would still not be allowed unless there's a way to do that.

Tesla's long-term plan seems to be to create a virtual power storage system aggregating powerwalls to provide grid stabilization. When this happens, I suspect what you're talking about may be possible, albeit not through simple arbitrage of TOU rates. Instead, Tesla will probably charge for their services and compensate the powerwall owners (after taking their cut).

Reactions: mongo
Tesla's long-term plan seems to be to create a virtual power storage system aggregating powerwalls to provide grid stabilization. When this happens, I suspect what you're talking about may be possible, albeit not through simple arbitrage of TOU rates. Instead, Tesla will probably charge for their services and compensate the powerwall owners (after taking their cut).
These are the kinds of things SolarCity was pushing for, butit's gonna take a while to push through all the red tape. They can make a logical cost-savings case pretty easily, but utilities will push back like mad.

Once Tesla goes down this avenue it's all over. A fleet of aggregated residential solar/battery homes has massive value in an open energy marketplace, especially if consumers are educated and vote in their own interest. 3-5 more years.

Reactions: NuShrike
Oh, agreed if you size your system accordingly. I sized my solar system to take full advantage of net metering, even though Tesla wanted to put a much bigger system up. My goal was to zero out for the year using the net metering calculation in my favor. I could have sized my solar even smaller if I had taken into account arbitrage on the Powerwalls, but I am claiming the federal tax credit, so won’t actually be able to take advantage of that since my batteries have to be charged by my panels.

But if I just had Powerwalls with no solar, I would have done the sizing calculations based on arbitrage.
Are you going to file for the 30% rebate for power wall? Also I have heard the power wall has a 12 months waiting process. I am surprised you were able to get it so quickly. Do you think tesla expedited your power wall because of the solar installation too?

Are you going to file for the 30% rebate for power wall? Also I have heard the power wall has a 12 months waiting process. I am surprised you were able to get it so quickly. Do you think tesla expedited your power wall because of the solar installation too?

I am going to apply for the tax credit on the whole system install cost - I had them all installed at the same time. I believe that signing up with Tesla Energy for a solar install did move me up in the queue for a Powerwall vs me just ordering a PW by itself. Which makes sense - they make a lot more money off me that way.

I am going to apply for the tax credit on the whole system install cost - I had them all installed at the same time. I believe that signing up with Tesla Energy for a solar install did move me up in the queue for a Powerwall vs me just ordering a PW by itself. Which makes sense - they make a lot more money off me that way.
Yeah that also factored into my decision making. I'm now reserved for four. But I want to install the solar panels before the power wall even get here because I don't think I'll get it any time soon.

Silly question- in case of a power outage, will the power wall still work with power out? Like the solar panels will feed the power wall and the power wall draw to the home? thanks!

Yes, if solar and PW are on the opposite side of the gateway module from the grid, they will stay up during an outage. The one caveat being: if the PW turns off due to low state of charge, there is not currently a way to restart the system without an external AC source. PowerWall Cold Start without Grid Power

I just had a 10.2kw solar set up installed here in Washington (near Seattle). Not the greatest sun spot, but we have true Net meeting plus the state pays 21 cents per kw produced (for the first 8 yrs) even if I use it. So the incentives are pretty good. Getting a PW installed for power outages also at some point for my referral award.

So in my case I save 11.3 cents / KW for what I produce and use (power I don’t have to buy), plus make 21cents each kw also. My system has an 8 yr payback after fed credit and incentives.

What was your per watt cost? Did you install 325 panels?

I just had a 10.2kw solar set up installed here in Washington (near Seattle). Not the greatest sun spot, but we have true Net meeting plus the state pays 21 cents per kw produced (for the first 8 yrs) even if I use it. So the incentives are pretty good. Getting a PW installed for power outages also at some point for my referral award.

So in my case I save 11.3 cents / KW for what I produce and use (power I don’t have to buy), plus make 21cents each kw also. My system has an 8 yr payback after fed credit and incentives.

What was your per watt cost? Did you install 325 panels?

My per watt cost was $3,60. I have a complicated roof for installs (steep, tile and lots of angles). I used the ITEK 305 watt panels (they had the best incentive rate in Wa as we get extra for "made in wa panels"). I would have gone with Sunpower if the incentive was equal.

We have net metering on our system where any kWh I produce extra I can get back from the grid for free. There is however a catch. If I overproduce for the year (My Total Year Production > Total Year Consumption), then the electric company pays me the difference at only $0.02 / kWh. However, all the kWhs during the year are 1:1. Make sure to ask the right questions when talking to the electric and solar companies.

can anyone give on update on where / how it's going for SGIP rebates? I have 2 PW2 installed (November '17) and and still in limbo for the SGIP check (Step 2).

No solar yet - need a new roof and deposited day 1 for Solar Roof. Still awaiting a call for site visit.......

For anyone trying to find current info (we need some sort of thread for that, lots of bits and pieces!), I talked to Tesla today for a 12kW system with 2 PWs, and the best bet right now (like some of you have seen) is to order the PWs and install the panels, since it may take 6-8 months or more to get the PWs. If you order them all together, they can't install anything until they have all the pieces.

As long as the panels charge the batteries, it's all covered by the ITC. They are also recommending the 315 W panels (the solid black, skirted ones, which were shown in the solar roof presentation back when as 'the new Tesla Solar Panels').

My price looks like about $3.2/W or so (for the panels, all in, before ITC). I was trying to get some other quotes, but they won't even give a ballpark without coming out and doing the old 'windows/roofing/siding' hardsell in person. Sheesh...

I've got Tesla coming tomorrow for the site visit to firm up the final amount of panels. I've looked at the Tesla Energy site that has all the inverters they use (perhaps it's mostly historical?). Does anyone know if there are any options for inverters or do we have to take what's on the design plan? Any other options I should discuss with them (overall sizes are in above post)? Thanks!

For anyone trying to find current info (we need some sort of thread for that, lots of bits and pieces!), I talked to Tesla today for a 12kW system with 2 PWs, and the best bet right now (like some of you have seen) is to order the PWs and install the panels, since it may take 6-8 months or more to get the PWs. If you order them all together, they can't install anything until they have all the pieces.

As long as the panels charge the batteries, it's all covered by the ITC. They are also recommending the 315 W panels (the solid black, skirted ones, which were shown in the solar roof presentation back when as 'the new Tesla Solar Panels').

My price looks like about $3.2/W or so (for the panels, all in, before ITC). I was trying to get some other quotes, but they won't even give a ballpark without coming out and doing the old 'windows/roofing/siding' hardsell in person. Sheesh...
That price sounds pretty close to our quote. We got quotes from a couple other companies and were surprised to find they were actually higher so we weren't able to use the "price match" tactic that several have mentioned.

When we got started, they mentioned the 305W panels. Since we are interested in maxing out the size of our solar system, we got prices on the 325W panels as well. We did ask about the 315W black panels and while they would save us about $10 per panel, it would reduce the size of our system by about 500W so we'll probably go with the 325W panels.

It sounds like they will try to install our panels first and then the Powerwalls a couple of months later. I guess it depends on how soon they can get the panels installed. I know they have gotten permission from our local utility for the size of our system. I think they are working on other permits now.

I've got Tesla coming tomorrow for the site visit to firm up the final amount of panels. I've looked at the Tesla Energy site that has all the inverters they use (perhaps it's mostly historical?). Does anyone know if there are any options for inverters or do we have to take what's on the design plan? Any other options I should discuss with them (overall sizes are in above post)? Thanks!
Our plan calls for 3 inverters. I know I saw the make/model for the inverters somewhere but can't find it now in the online documents. We won't be getting microinverters since we don't have any shade to worry about.

I am a little confused about the documents. We signed the documents that used DocuSign but there are several other documents awaiting our signatures...but I don't think we've ever received those documents. We're waiting to hear back on those.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
That price sounds pretty close to our quote. We got quotes from a couple other companies and were surprised to find they were actually higher so we weren't able to use the "price match" tactic that several have mentioned.

When we got started, they mentioned the 305W panels. Since we are interested in maxing out the size of our solar system, we got prices on the 325W panels as well. We did ask about the 315W black panels and while they would save us about $10 per panel, it would reduce the size of our system by about 500W so we'll probably go with the 325W panels.

It sounds like they will try to install our panels first and then the Powerwalls a couple of months later. I guess it depends on how soon they can get the panels installed. I know they have gotten permission from our local utility for the size of our system. I think they are working on other permits now.

Our plan calls for 3 inverters. I know I saw the make/model for the inverters somewhere but can't find it now in the online documents. We won't be getting microinverters since we don't have any shade to worry about.

I am a little confused about the documents. We signed the documents that used DocuSign but there are several other documents awaiting our signatures...but I don't think we've ever received those documents. We're waiting to hear back on those.
David, thanks for the update. I'm about in the same place you guys are, but looking at the 315W panels. I don't think 500 W matters in my overall size of 12.5 or so kW (and they may be able to squeeze in a couple more panels, as with you) and definitely like the look (we have an HOA, and they may like it better also!).

As I mentioned, I had one other company inquiring about a quote, but I can't believe they wanted to try the 'aluminum siding' tactic and won't give any sort of quote without showing up and even are using 'be sure all parties are present' (when my GF and I aren't even married lol). If other companies are higher, maybe I won't even bother trying to get other quotes; I was also trying that tactic!

As mentioned, PWs need to be a separate deal, since if part of the panels contract, you can't install unless you wait for all to show up (at least that's what we're told by our Tesla Energy person in Virginia!). So, I reserved two on the PW site, can always cancel those if need be. I'll ask during my site visit tomorrow how they handle hardware/circuitry install, since they could install some things at the time of the panel install for the PWs, but I doubt they will.

As for documents, I had several proposals, one without PWs, one for cash, one for credit, but signed the cash one to get the survey underway. It will be redone once the survey is done, and I decide to do credit, most likely.

This should all be interesting....

David, thanks for the update. I'm about in the same place you guys are, but looking at the 315W panels. I don't think 500 W matters in my overall size of 12.5 or so kW (and they may be able to squeeze in a couple more panels, as with you) and definitely like the look (we have an HOA, and they may like it better also!).

As I mentioned, I had one other company inquiring about a quote, but I can't believe they wanted to try the 'aluminum siding' tactic and won't give any sort of quote without showing up and even are using 'be sure all parties are present' (when my GF and I aren't even married lol). If other companies are higher, maybe I won't even bother trying to get other quotes; I was also trying that tactic!

As mentioned, PWs need to be a separate deal, since if part of the panels contract, you can't install unless you wait for all to show up (at least that's what we're told by our Tesla Energy person in Virginia!). So, I reserved two on the PW site, can always cancel those if need be. I'll ask during my site visit tomorrow how they handle hardware/circuitry install, since they could install some things at the time of the panel install for the PWs, but I doubt they will.

As for documents, I had several proposals, one without PWs, one for cash, one for credit, but signed the cash one to get the survey underway. It will be redone once the survey is done, and I decide to do credit, most likely.

This should all be interesting....
Ah yes. I forgot to mention that our Powerwalls will be on a separate contract. Even if we were getting them installed at the same time, they would be on a separate contract. We were able to see a couple of other DocuSign documents last week but they weren't 100% correct and we couldn't sign them. When we tried signing, it said we had to be logged in under another account (but no account was listed) so it was impossible to sign them. We reported the issue and the documents have disappeared. Now it looks like they are listed under the documents that require a physical signature but we haven't received them yet.

• Informative
Ah yes. I forgot to mention that our Powerwalls will be on a separate contract. Even if we were getting them installed at the same time, they would be on a separate contract. We were able to see a couple of other DocuSign documents last week but they weren't 100% correct and we couldn't sign them. When we tried signing, it said we had to be logged in under another account (but no account was listed) so it was impossible to sign them. We reported the issue and the documents have disappeared. Now it looks like they are listed under the documents that require a physical signature but we haven't received them yet.
Looks like there will be two Delta Solivia 5.2 TL inverters and one Delta Solivia 7.6 TL inverter for our solar system.

• Informative

Have you tried using the site, Energysage? I just put in my info there (no cost), which took just a few minutes, and had several quotes from different companies within a few days. No hard sell and no one came to my house. Plus, by passing a couple quotes along to Tesla, it lowered my system cost from $3.24/W to $2.63/W. Not sure if Energysage is as effective at getting quotes where you're at as where I'm at (perhaps solar companies use it here and not there), but it worked great for me, took little time, and saved me ~$7k.

BTW, I don't work for Energysage... just had a good experience and it saved me a ton of money. haha