Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Standard Range Battery upgrade-able?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Tesla OA yesterday told me that the new standard range battery will be able upgrade-able to Long Range in the future at some cost. He stated the standard range is software-limited and that it has the same size battery as long range. From all the forums and online posts i have read, i did not see this mentioned anywhere. Is this true?

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
SR+ is applicable to Model 3 only.

Model X has two battery options. Standard or Long Range. These are both the same battery in the Model X

Tesla may have the capability to, sometime in the future, engage the remaining capability, turning the Standard range into Long Range.

I'm still seeing only Long Range and Performance as options, both using the 100 kWh pack.

Once Tesla gives you the ordering option, will have a better idea of what they are offering.

Software limited make little economic sense in general - Tesla pays full price but only gets a portion of the price from you.

They've done it from time to time to drive demand, and when they were obligated to deliver a configuration that they didn't think was worth putting money into a unique design for.

Thanks for confirming. Good to know.
I believe they have already depleted the 75kw batteries and are only using 100kw. But if Tesla was to provide an upgrade software in the future, i expect it would be close to $10K or so (?).

Thanks for confirming. Good to know.
I believe they have already depleted the 75kw batteries and are only using 100kw. But if Tesla was to provide an upgrade software in the future, i expect it would be close to $10K or so (?).

No, they’re still using 75 kWh battery stock for the SR Model X and S. I was at a showroom a couple of weeks ago and check the labels on a few SR cars they had in inventory.