TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Tesla video looks to be shot in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by meloccom, Jun 26, 2015.

1. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Does anyone else think that the recent Tesla video appears to have been shot in Australia.
    [video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SEwlX4_nkaE[/video]
    The car is driving on the left and the grey green of the landscape looks Australian.
    I'm thinking south Coast below Sydney.
    Does anyone recognise where this is?

2. lennier

lennier Member

Looks to me like the Great Ocean Road just past Lorne, in Victoria.

3. 917Stark

917Stark Member

You're right lennier it is the great ocean road. I know that bend and bridge very well. Will try to put a map pin on it and post again

4. ixat

ixat Member

#4 ixat, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    Great Ocean Road. Tesla had an event down at the RACV resort last weekend, test drives along the GOR etc, guess they filmed a bit too.

This footage is crossing the George River, heading west along the GOR:
    Google Maps

I always thought they should film an ad along there, 12 Apostles, general GOR driving and amazing landscapes. Also film a bit up on the Black Spur or Acheron Way around Marysville for some tall trees and animals.

5. ZTrekus

ZTrekus Member

The camera man was obviously filming from a helicopter. Those few seconds of footage must have cost a mint. Helicopter timed to pursue the Tesla sweeping left and right and no other cars on the road. Doubt it was done on the first take too.

6. Miggy

Miggy Member

Can someone tell Tesla that we drive in KM's not Miles.

7. ZTrekus

ZTrekus Member

Ahh yes but for that particular press, they were counting the er... milestones... Literally.

And besides, k stones just sounds like you need a lot of water and pain to clear... Not a good look.

8. cynix

cynix Member

Probably filmed using a drone, a lot cheaper than a real helicopter. Also there was another car driving past from the opposite direction ;)

9. WhiteStar

WhiteStar Member

Due to the fact that the grazing white cow or whatever it is seems quite unperturbed, I'm guessing it's a drone that captured this footage...cost, permits, organisation etc. are orders of magnitude less than choppers too.

Whoops didn't see cynic's post but obviously I agree!

10. ZTrekus

ZTrekus Member

I am surprised that a drone can fly that quickly. It looks mighty fast. But I am no expert.

11. Chuq

Chuq Member

Interesting that they would choose a LHD country to film what is (apparently) for an international market - or going by the "miles" reference, a USA market.

12. lonewolf313

lonewolf313 Member

There are several official Tesla videos already shot as far back as late 2011 showing the model S driving on the right hand side of the road.

For an international market, it would seem biased to keep shooting videos in that format.

Remember, the UK and Hong Kong and possibly others I cannot think of are also LHD markets and Australia has some unique and nice looking areas to drive to so why not shoot here for the international market

As for the one billion miles, as an American company, it would be weird for them to use kilometres as a reference as in my opinion, all the data they collect worldwide would be converted back to the imperial system for them to calculate a distance from a single frame of reference

Otherwise they would have to say that Model S has driven 780,000 miles and 354,200 kilometres worldwide for a total of 1 billion miles

13. Higgy

Higgy Member

Some original Australian TV cop shows were exported to the US - the chase scenes were inverted so the cars looked like they were on the right side of the road!

14. ZTrekus

ZTrekus Member

Yes I imagine that happens often.

Apparently when the T2 was chasing the young John Connor on his motorcycle, T2 was actually sitting behind a fake steering wheel in the truck on the passenger side. The real stunt truck driver was next to him, but they inverted the image to kick him back on the driver's side.

15. houdini

houdini Member

Definitely "drone" footage. Unmanned aerial vehicle with a camera on it. My money is on an inspire 1 and they can do 80 kms per hour easy. I'm getting used to spotting inspire footage (I fly one) as there's a problem with every 8 frames with a refresh and you can spot a slight glitch every time. Mostly people blame it on YouTube - if they even notice it.

One day I hope to drive that same route in my Tesla :)

16. ixat

ixat Member

Yup, they really need a super charger in Apollo Bay (197km & 3 hours from Tesla supercharger in Cremorne), that'd open up that whole region and make almost the entire GOR drivable, although you'd probably want a destination charger or two in both Portland, Port Fairy and Warrnambool for those staying the night.

17. wpapua

wpapua Member

There is at least 1 HPWC in Warrnambool at the end of the Great Ocean Road - happy to share !

18. heosat

heosat Member

Can confirm that it was filmed at the GOR as Tesla had to borrow some of my equipment for the shoot. :smile:

19. Keiron

Keiron Member

Gudday wpapua
    Do we know exactly WHERE the HPWC charger is in Warrnambool?