Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Wall Charger - wire question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I just ordered the new 60 amp wall charger. Will be tackling the job myself since I’m very handy.

What 4 awg 90 degree copper wire do you recommend? Any links would be appreciated.
I will need about 200 feet so every penny saved helps and since it’s that long then 6 awg won’t cut it.

It will be ran in a conduit outside so it doesn’t have to be rated for outside.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Hello. I just ordered the new 60 amp wall charger. Will be tackling the job myself since I’m very handy.

What 4 awg 90 degree copper wire do you recommend? Any links would be appreciated.
I will need about 200 feet so every penny saved helps and since it’s that long then 6 awg won’t cut it.

Thanks!!
I’m not an electrician, but I was looking at the same scenario, 175 feet of copper 4g was VERY expensive I believe 2200 just for the wire without labor/install. We ended up going with 100amp service line from my main panel to a 60amp shut off switch in my garage, then wired only ten feet of copper from the shut off to the wall connector, ended up only being $800 for everything instead of 3k and after two months no issues at all. Might be an option for you, again I’m not an electrician so I have no idea on codes or regulations where you live

Thanks!!
Could you just drop down to 40 amps and use the 6 gauge wire? Do you need 200+ miles of charging every night? I’ll likely save you more than enough money to pay for the occasional Supercharger trip.

I’m not an electrician, but I was looking at the same scenario, 175 feet of copper 4g was VERY expensive I believe 2200 just for the wire without labor/install. We ended up going with 100amp service line from my main panel to a 60amp shut off switch in my garage, then wired only ten feet of copper from the shut off to the wall connector, ended up only being $800 for everything instead of 3k and after two months no issues at all. Might be an option for you, again I’m not an electrician so I have no idea on codes or regulations where you live
Also not an electrician. This seems like the best bet and what I would do, SEU/R cable is way cheaper. Then for the last bit run it as copper to the charger. If you’re doing it yourself pay attention to the torque on the aluminum wire. It tends to loosen up overtime compared to copper.

Edit: If your conduit goes underground I don’t believe you can use SE cable, maybe has to be USE.

Last edited:
Thanks! Maybe I will drop to 40 amp.

If I go for my typical 220 will I still be able to use the Tesla charger? Or should I cancel my order?
You can adjust the settings on the charger from 12-48amp output. At 40amp (32amp charging) you’d be doing the same as your UMC that came with the car, up to you really. In either case you need to make a run, I prefer a hardwired charger to a plugin. I think most electricians would install a sub panel with aluminum for that long of a run. With copper 6awg you’re pretty much at the cutoff for 40amp at 200’.

I should’ve mentioned this above but If you do make the run with aluminum please check your local code for it and verify you‘re sized appropriately. You typically need thicker aluminum vs copper. Also will need to verify you get appropriate connectors for aluminum and different types need to be used if you’re going underground even in conduit.

Reactions: Ogre
one more question. I figured out my routing and I'll be running the cable from the house, outside underground, and into the garage (all in a PVC conduit).

Length will be around 120 and will use a 60 amp breaker (but will set the wall charger at 40 amps).

Has anyone used individual stranded THHN cables? My plan is to go with 6 gauge.

Thanks,
Tom

By NEC code, any cable that is run in conduit must be run single phase/conductor. THHN's applications and ampacity can be found on CeroWire's webpage. But if you are basing it on the 90*C application then the ampacity of a 6ga wire shows maximum of 75amps. Theoretically, this is sufficient for your usage. Please note that since you are installing the wall charger, all that is required is the two hot legs/phases and a ground (which does not need to be equally sized. You can use a 10 ga wire for that.)

Since you will not be pulling any more than 48amps, you are well within the 20% rule for ampacity in a given circuit.

This is very helpful. Thank you! Running individually stranded wires will be much easier than doing one thick cable. Going to my local HD now to see what they have left. Seems to be the most cost effective solution.
You may actually want to order online. Speaking from experience. HD tends to be much more expensive. Just for reference, by the foot prices change sometimes daily at a place like Lowes or Home Depot. 6AWG in my area by the foot is around $1.30. Online I see it for $1.06. Thats a roughly $60 difference over 240ft for both conductors...

You may actually want to order online. Speaking from experience. HD tends to be much more expensive. Just for reference, by the foot prices change sometimes daily at a place like Lowes or Home Depot. 6AWG in my area by the foot is around $1.30. Online I see it for $1.06. Thats a roughly $60 difference over 240ft for both conductors...
Any suggestions for good sources? I’m looking for similar reasons.

We have a local Platte which can be hit-or-miss pricewise. Seems like their base prices are high and they apply discounts at the counter based on how well the clerk likes you.

I actually found some on Amazon but you are limited to specific length. I purchased 140 feet each at Home Depot today. It was $1.24 per foot. Picked up some conduit and cement while at it. Going to be tackling the job this weekend and will report back with results.

Reactions: Ogre