Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note that no current Teslas support more than 48 A, you mean. I thought that’s what they may have meant and it would still be programmable for up to 100/80 but nope. Only 60/48A.

Only older Teslas support 72 or 80 A.

Looks much better inside with all the guts enclosed finally.

Gen 1 doesn't daisy chain to anything. The manual shows a RS485 connection but no mention of what out is for. But it only has one connection so my guess is that it will be able to be a master for Gen 2 WCs at some point in the future.
That is kind of what I am gathering from seeing the pictures inside it. It seems to have one connection for twisted pair, whereas the gen2 ones had an IN and OUT connection for those. So I think this means this new gen3 one would have to be the "head" at the beginning of the run as the master and then connect down the line to other gen2 ones. That would also make sense for future use, since this is probably going to play into utility-directed demand management over wi-fi. They would want the internet connected one to be the master, so it can manage the current load of the whole string.

Seems like a downgrade other than the faceplate. Charging cable length and maximum charge rate are the most important aspects of a charger, and of course the ability to tether, which means you need higher charging rates. What the heck is the wifi for? Looks like they removed the V2 from their website? I'm wondering if I should buy a second Gen2 charger from where now before they become scarce? The wifi sounds like it is only useful for provisioning? Currently you have to rotate a multi position switch to select the maximum charge rate. I don't need a wifi connection to do that!

Says firmware updates will unlock new functionality, but there is no way that cord is going to get longer with a wifi update!

Last edited:
That is kind of what I am gathering from seeing the pictures inside it. It seems to have one connection for twisted pair, whereas the gen2 ones had an IN and OUT connection for those. So I think this means this new gen3 one would have to be the "head" at the beginning of the run as the master and then connect down the line to other gen2 ones. That would also make sense for future use, since this is probably going to play into utility-directed demand management over wi-fi. They would want the internet connected one to be the master, so it can manage the current load of the whole string.

The manual talks about a "future" firmware upgrade adding daisy chain support. Since they eliminated the dedicated cable for this, the v3 chargers will figure out the load sharing via WiFi. So other than the future load sharing, and firmware updates, what's the WiFi give us? Maybe they can finally sync the HPWC with Powerwalls, allowing for auto-stop on grid outage?

BTW: WiFi only supports 2.4 GHz... For a device this size, you'd think they'd be able to fit a proper 5GHz antenna, and support for the latest version of 802.11...

The manual talks about a "future" firmware upgrade adding daisy chain support. Since they eliminated the dedicated cable for this, the v3 chargers will figure out the load sharing via WiFi. So other than the future load sharing, and firmware updates, what's the WiFi give us? Maybe they can finally sync the HPWC with Powerwalls, allowing for auto-stop on grid outage?

BTW: WiFi only supports 2.4 GHz... For a device this size, you'd think they'd be able to fit a proper 5GHz antenna, and support for the latest version of 802.11...
I would think 2.4 GHz would be preferable for better WiFi range given the likely low bandwidth needs of the device.

Reactions: Rocky_H and MP3Mike
I would think 2.4 GHz would be preferable for better WiFi range given the likely low bandwidth needs of the device.
Typically, a device should offer both. 5GHz always being preferred (if the AP is near enough), and 2.4GHz only for when distance is needed.

2.4GHz's long range is also its achilles heel (in addition to its limited channel support). In most any setting, there will be multiple overlapping networks competing for the same 2.4 channel. In a very dense setting (like an apartment building, shopping/strip mall, conference center, etc), 2.4 often becomes completely unusable. Even for low bandwidth devices, the channel contention is so high, devices would be unable to connect.

Now, for a single-family home, this would probably not be a problem. But the V3 seems to target commercial facilities, and those commercial settings are exactly the ones where supporting 5GHz is critical.

I wonder if its firmware updates will be for itself or your car.

It would be cool if this thing stored a car's update. That way people wouldn't have to wait a long time for the download. The unit could just Bluetooth the update to your car once you got home. ( that is....when Tesla sends out an update when you aren't home )

I wonder if its firmware updates will be for itself or your car.

It would be cool if this thing stored a car's update. That way people wouldn't have to wait a long time for the download. The unit could just Bluetooth the update to your car once you got home. ( that is....when Tesla sends out an update when you aren't home )

In your scenario there's a pin (two I believe) for comms in the physical connection so the use of Bluetooth for such a large/critical firmware update wouldn't be necessary.

Personally, I'd rather the car just handled this directly though. Too many hops for a solution looking for a problem.