Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Workplace Charging program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I emailed them, we have about 5-6 Tesla's here at my office, we currently have about 12 J1772s charging stations, when Tesla responded back to me, they asked to get in contact with the building manager. I replied back to him and cc'd our building manager. About 2 months later, our building manager told me Tesla offered 20 HPWC's!!!!! But unfortunately the building couldnt use all of them, so they asked for 5, I'm not sure when we're getting them, but I was told Tesla is basically paying for everything (HPWC's, installation). We have about 15-18 other EV's in this building, we have 2 J1772's available in the public parking lot and 10 J1772s in the private employee parking lot, I was told the HPWC's will be in the private employee parking lot.

It all started with an email, I never thought it was even possible!!!!!
That's awesome! congrats! Did you guys have a large installation cost? Our school is tight on money right now, and we would have to have some of the ground dug up to lay cabling, so we couldn't get them unless Tesla would pay for that....

That's awesome! congrats! Did you guys have a large installation cost? Our school is tight on money right now, and we would have to have some of the ground dug up to lay cabling, so we couldn't get them unless Tesla would pay for that....

I'll be honest, I'm not sure about the logistics of the install, I can find out, our building manager is pretty cool.

Did you email a specific address? I filled out the "application" on Charging Partners | Tesla I'm not authorized to apply, I just want to gather info to pass on to the management. But "Tesla owner" was one of the choices in the dropdown, so I chose it.

Yes, I filled out the "application" on the Charging Partners site, I wasn't technically "authorized" either but right after filling it out, I walked over to the building managers office and told him about it.

Reactions: ggies07
I found out today that our management is aware of the program and have been talking with Tesla about costs. I heard the same number: Tesla wants to give away 20 HPWC. Since our company does not need that many, there is a cost involved. Maybe counter-intuitive, but I am sure Tesla has their reasons.

Let me ask those who have contributed to the thread so far. Did I read somewhere that Tesla is willing to install universal chargers, or did I make that up in my mind?

I did not gather from the conversation with the building manager that they were aware of Tesla offering non-Tesla charging. They referred to the fact that we "don't have that many Teslas".

Let me ask those who have contributed to the thread so far. Did I read somewhere that Tesla is willing to install universal chargers, or did I make that up in my mind?

I did not gather from the conversation with the building manager that they were aware of Tesla offering non-Tesla charging. They referred to the fact that we "don't have that many Teslas".

I have not done a workplace charger program install before, only destination charging program. In the destination world, they will usually do one J1772 for every 3 Tesla HPWC (if you ask for the J1772, they don't usually offer them up without being asked).

I would not be surprised if it was different for the workplace charging program though and they didn't offer J1772. The point of both programs really is to have Tesla chargers be everywhere. Handing out some J1772's helps promote overall EV adoption, but handing out HPWC helps Tesla EVs.. So obviously they'd prefer the world blanketed with HPWC so normal people see them everywhere and think that Tesla is the way to go.

• Informative
Reactions: ponzu
Anybody know if this program is still running? My work has a couple chargepoint stations that crap out half the time you try to use them. This would be a big improvement.

If you already have the ChargePoint systems installed and your company is ok with losing the activity reporting and billing capabilities in the ChargePoint system, just swap the defective ChargePoint systems with a Tesla Wall Connector or a traditional J1772 unit from ClipperCreek or OpenEVSE. You've already done the expensive work in a commercial setting (trenched wire out to the parking lot). Replacing a defective EVSE will cost about $500 for the replacement EVSE and about an hour of labor. Easy-peasy...

If you already have the ChargePoint systems installed and your company is ok with losing the activity reporting and billing capabilities in the ChargePoint system, just swap the defective ChargePoint systems with a Tesla Wall Connector or a traditional J1772 unit from ClipperCreek or OpenEVSE. You've already done the expensive work in a commercial setting (trenched wire out to the parking lot). Replacing a defective EVSE will cost about $500 for the replacement EVSE and about an hour of labor. Easy-peasy...
I should pass that info along. Can't imagine they would mind losing the activity and billing info (they don't charge to use them) because that just might be the whole source of the problem. The stations are set to connect via GSM cell reception...from 3 floors underground. It doesn't work, and I think this is causing them to reboot and lock out randomly as the systems get frustrated with their inability to phone home.