Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Workplace Charging program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fiver

Apr 10, 2015
Utah
Was chatting with the (super nice) staff at the SLC store earlier tonight. They know I've helped get a few local businesses (Ski resorts, restaurants, gyms) to join the Tesla Destination Charging program in the past. They mentioned that today they got an email about a new program Tesla is starting up. It's similar to the existing destination charging program, but designed more for workplaces to get chargers installed for employees. I don't know if these would be "public" chargers like the destination charging program is supposed to be (probably not).

Anyway, if you have a workplace with employees who drive Tesla's might be worth looking into. Again they will donate the HPWC and in some cases will subsidize the cost of installation.

Looks like the charging partners website is updated to show workplace charging (and housing development charging) also: Charging Partners | Tesla
Or contact directly at [email protected]

Tesla Workplace Charging Brochure PDF below:

Attachments

• WorkplaceChargingBrochure.pdf
    7 MB · Views: 441
We already have 36 solar powered charging stations at work but I went ahead and sent them information on Tesla's Workplace Charging program in case they wanted to add a few Tesla only charging stations.

I did see another Tesla charging next to me this week! I think there are probably 4 or 5 now! :)
IMG_20180216_152227.jpg

Reactions: arcus
Again they will donate the HPWC and in some cases will subsidize the cost of installation.

Do you know what the "some cases" applies to? I've been researching both Destination Charging and now Workplace Charging in an effort to understand exactly what costs Tesla will waive, and I can't be sure if they only cover the costs associated with the chargers, or the chargers and installation as well.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you, @Fiver!

Reactions: emorog
Do you know what the "some cases" applies to? I've been researching both Destination Charging and now Workplace Charging in an effort to understand exactly what costs Tesla will waive, and I can't be sure if they only cover the costs associated with the chargers, or the chargers and installation as well.

On the 3 destination charging program locations I have helped get installed so far, Tesla has covered more or less everything. Two locations were 3 HPWC each (Tesla covered everything on both of these, hardware and full installation). The third was 3 HPWC and one J1772. Tesla gave us all the hardware, but separate from Tesla, the location also secured a second J1772 through a local clean air grant program. So that site has 3 Tesla, 2 J1772 total. To the best of my knowledge Tesla covered most, but not all of the install at that one, but they didn't cover the cost for the second J1772 they didn't provide. As mentioned, that was covered by a local grant for the hardware and installation costs.

At the end of the day, Tesla is very generous if your location is considered prime. Prime being in an area devoid of chargers, or in a heavy use area. (Ski areas are pretty heavy use, and usually also in a remote area)

/edit. I say they will cover most installation costs, but honestly in my case they have covered everything. I still say "most" because I'm sure there are situations where they won't cover the full installation cost.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Callahan

Why don’t you submit a request for your site to Tesla and find out? If approved, the HPWCs are free and Tesla will cover installation cost up to a certain amount. Whether that covers your entire installation cost or not depends on your electrical needs.

At our workplace (2,000+ employees), we have had 5 HPWCs donated by Tesla about 3 years ago that were installed alongside 25+ J1772 stations. But, the number of EVs in general and Teslas in particular has exploded in the past couple of years at our office and our Facilities folks are currently working with Tesla, through this Workplace Charging program, to install 15 more HPWCs (not sure how many more J1772s) in the next month or so. Love it!

• Love
Reactions: Fiver and MP3Mike
Why don’t you submit a request for your site to Tesla and find out? If approved, the HPWCs are free and Tesla will cover installation cost up to a certain amount. Whether that covers your entire installation cost or not depends on your electrical needs.

Oh, I don't own a business / have a site that needs chargers installed. I'm just a curious dude with a podcast. :)

Does anyone know the answer to these questioner?
  • Does everyone who has a workplace and a Tesla qualify or is this a lottery?
  • How long does it take to let us know if we qualify once I submit the form?
  • What does the approval process look like?

On the 3 destination charging program locations I have helped get installed so far, Tesla has covered more or less everything. Two locations were 3 HPWC each (Tesla covered everything on both of these, hardware and full installation). The third was 3 HPWC and one J1772. Tesla gave us all the hardware, but separate from Tesla, the location also secured a second J1772 through a local clean air grant program. So that site has 3 Tesla, 2 J1772 total. To the best of my knowledge Tesla covered most, but not all of the install at that one, but they didn't cover the cost for the second J1772 they didn't provide. As mentioned, that was covered by a local grant for the hardware and installation costs.

At the end of the day, Tesla is very generous if your location is considered prime. Prime being in an area devoid of chargers, or in a heavy use area. (Ski areas are pretty heavy use, and usually also in a remote area)

/edit. I say they will cover most installation costs, but honestly in my case they have covered everything. I still say "most" because I'm sure there are situations where they won't cover the full installation cost.
Great information Fiver. I am considering a charging station for my 100 person company just outside of downtown Charlotte. I filled out the form 2 months ago and have been following up but have not heard anything.

For the ones that you were successful with, what was the timeline and any hints or tricks for me?

Thanks again,
Andrew

Great information Fiver. I am considering a charging station for my 100 person company just outside of downtown Charlotte. I filled out the form 2 months ago and have been following up but have not heard anything.

For the ones that you were successful with, what was the timeline and any hints or tricks for me?

Thanks again,
Andrew
I would shoot them another email. I usually get responses within the week when I apply for new locations.

Are there any more recent stories from employees, employers or contractors who had Tesla-subsidized chargers installed?

Does anyone know if Tesla will install chargers at a company where there are five (and growing) employee-owned Tesla, but the garage is off limits to the public? Is Tesla interested in subsidizing such a small fleet? My understanding is that they want a distributed charging network that augments their own.

Are there any more recent stories from employees, employers or contractors who had Tesla-subsidized chargers installed?

Does anyone know if Tesla will install chargers at a company where there are five (and growing) employee-owned Tesla, but the garage is off limits to the public? Is Tesla interested in subsidizing such a small fleet? My understanding is that they want a distributed charging network that augments their own.

The workplace charging program differs from the destination charging program in that the chargers do not need to be open to the public at large. Of course if they are that is smiled upon, but it's not a requirement.

The point of the workplace charging program is to facilitate charging infrastructure at a place of business for employees. Charging hardware is supplied and installation costs are subsidized. If it's anything like the destination program, they will also provide one J1772 charger for every 3 Tesla HPWC installed.

I emailed them, we have about 5-6 Tesla's here at my office, we currently have about 12 J1772s charging stations, when Tesla responded back to me, they asked to get in contact with the building manager. I replied back to him and cc'd our building manager. About 2 months later, our building manager told me Tesla offered 20 HPWC's!!!!! But unfortunately the building couldnt use all of them, so they asked for 5, I'm not sure when we're getting them, but I was told Tesla is basically paying for everything (HPWC's, installation). We have about 15-18 other EV's in this building, we have 2 J1772's available in the public parking lot and 10 J1772s in the private employee parking lot, I was told the HPWC's will be in the private employee parking lot.

It all started with an email, I never thought it was even possible!!!!!

Last edited: