Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Y Owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
06/02/23

Ordered a 23 Model Y long drive dual motor with FSD after two test drives, Some initial experience after six weeks.

Demonstration and first drive experience of my first Tesla Vehicle.

Staff a Dartford were very helpful, knowledgeable and were able to answer all my questions. I was extremely impressed by the vehicle’s performance, the Tesla handled well, quiet, responsive and comfortable a very pleasing drive. Booked a second extended test drive after looking at Tesla’s owners and many on live reviews and demo videos, again very impressive drive. Being an older driver having had knee replacements I valued the easy entry and summons to allow driver door to be fully opened for ease of access avoiding twisting on knees for getting in and out of the vehicle in tight parking spaces where doors can only be partially opened. This was a strong positive in deciding to order the vehicle with the full FSD and considered it worth the FSD cost

Restricted view from rear window but with camera vision and sensors found parking easy in busy streets parking bays and at supermarket car parks, that said found the KIA ev6 all round camera view much superior. Reversing was poor compared to my previous vehicle that was equipped with Left and Right 50-meter warning sensors.

Pleased with the interior, rear boot and front bonnet storage, very roomy and ease of dropping rear seats when extra space is required.

Simplicity of ordering the vehicle and accessories

Extremely easy including setting up the Tesla App, account and ordering accessories, trays, jacking accessories, wall charger all arrived on time.

Disappointments

I was informed at the time of placing the vehicles order that I will receive it quarter for end of November / December which was acceptable. The Tesla app confirmed this and at first was impressed with the communication updates. On the 12 October 22, I received an update advising me of expected delivery of 19 October to 3rd of November and directed me to pay the outstanding balance to avoid delays. I went to the bank and paid by bankers transfer to ensure prompt payment and received notification from Tesla that the account was fully paid. I them made arrangements to sell my vehicle and to obtain insurance quotations in readiness.

A week later I received a further update of the delivery, expected delivery November / December. I contacted Tesla who informed me that no vehicle had been assigned and a date could not be given, they were puzzled how I managed to make full payment as payment account details are only sent out when the VIN has been allocated. I was not prepared to leave full payment as an open check and requested a refund less the deposit. I was informed that it could take a few weeks and must be applied in writing, add that I had committed to sell my vehicle not a great start.

On the 22 November at 10.34 I received a Tesla Vision disclaimer stating that some functions Summon, Special Summons, Park and Self Park were temporarily not available and would be restored by Vision over the air software update.
I contacted Tesla first by telephone followed by two emails and I was assured that the removal of the USS sensors, will only temporarily affect Parking, Auto Park, Summons and Special Summons on my model and an improved system will be replaced by a software update using the vehicles cameras as part of Tesla Vision improvements in the New Year. Tesla also advised as I had not yet taken delivery I could cancel the FSD and purchase it at any time in the future. I explained that the main reason for purchasing FSD pack was for parking and more importantly for Summons for easy access. I was assured the features would be available in the New Year via software update.

In the first week of December, I received an update informing me revised delivery of 19 January to 3rd March, I contacted Tesla who were unable to confirm as they are not aware until the vehicles arrive at Southampton port. therefore I agreed to join my sons who had booked Christmas break in Nottingham adventure park with their families.

A week later I was informed that my vehicle VIN had been assigned and I needed to pick it up on the 23 December, given a choice of collection times. I explained that I had book a Christmas break but could pick the vehicle up after Christmas / New year, I was informed that I would loose the vehicle and would have to wait for the next slot which would be in the first / second quarter of 2023. Having sold my vehicle did not wishing to lose the Tesla, I therefore arranged to return from Christmas break to pick up the vehicle from Brent Cross Delivery Hub. I did call into Brent Cross and spoke to one of Tesla’s staff who kindly offered to have the vehicle ready for the 21/22 December, but having purchase train tickets, arranged car and gap insurance was not cost effective.

Treated as Cattle Class – take it or leave attitude

Three days before collection date, I was informed that there was no guarantee of the vehicles charge level at the time of pickup and to familiarise myself with nearest charging points locations and how to charge the vehicle.

On arrived at Brent Cross on the 23rd of December with my Grandson from our Christmas break in Nottingham to Brent Cross Collection Hub, which was a portacabin, there was a que waiting outside the “Hub” with customer getting wet. We eventually got into the delivery portacabin and were given the two vehicles’ key cards and asked to sign for the vehicle acceptance. I was surprised as we had not had a glimpse of the vehicle, but reliably informed that we could inspect the vehicle before driving away, additionally we were informed that the vehicle was located a few rows to the rear of the HUB. Leaving the cabin, we noticed some vehicles had the hazards lights flashing, but we roamed around the massive car park for around 20 minutes, soaked eventually finding the vehicle in a completely different location.

Having made enquiries and noting that Brent Cross has only two charging points which are constantly full, therefore dropped the car at home, changed into dry clothes, washed it to check vehicle condition and then returned to Nottingham by train. I contacted Tesla to notify of a defect on the rear driver’s door, it appeared that the lower door protection had been applied to a dirty paint surface. Tesla booked an appointment at Park Royal but later asked if I wanted home repair.

Summing Up

Negatives

Worst ever experience in the purchase of 12 new vehicles over 53 years.

Low speed traffic stop starts very jerky when pulling away

Annoying window wipers operating on dry windscreen on Auto pilot

No sensors to aid parking or getting out of tight spots, only warning is bumper to bumper contact.

Cameras have misted up in the cold weather on three occasions and were not available

Price drops just after 15 days of purchase, but that’s life. 2023 has lower the status and image of Tesla brand, more EV’s entering the market greater choice

Positives

That said overall well-constructed, lots of room, comfortable, great satnav / display and pleasing to drive, but have serious concerns over the removal of radar and USS sensors and have lost trust in the Tesla Product.

Best driving experience against other EV vehicles, maintaining slight edge over Polestar with the Tesla Charging Network and milage range.

On the 22 November at 10.34 I received a Tesla Vision disclaimer stating that some functions Summon, Special Summons, Park and Self Park were temporarily not available and would be restored by Vision over the air software update.
I contacted Tesla first by telephone followed by two emails and I was assured that the removal of the USS sensors, will only temporarily affect Parking, Auto Park, Summons and Special Summons on my model and an improved system will be replaced by a software update using the vehicles cameras as part of Tesla Vision improvements in the New Year. Tesla also advised as I had not yet taken delivery I could cancel the FSD and purchase it at any time in the future. I explained that the main reason for purchasing FSD pack was for parking and more importantly for Summons for easy access. I was assured the features would be available in the New Year via software update.
I am sorry to have to tell you this but based on what I have seen and read Auto park and Summon have never worked properly and now the USS and radar have been removed I don't see how they are likely to even achieve the poor levels of performance they did before.
So if they were a key USP for you I think you may be disappointed. Did they say which new year they will be back?

At this point FSD is an expensive white elephant. No point choosing it over EAP and even that only really lets you change lanes on the motorway which is not a lot for £3000+

Reactions: CWT3LR
they were puzzled how I managed to make full payment as payment account details are only sent out when the VIN has been allocated

This isn't the first thread that I have read with that exact same scenario ... paid in full in advance of when it would normally be the case (i.e. before Tesla actually were ready)

Might be worth perusing if you can be bothered ...

The rest is Normal-for-Tesla, sadly, and just plain rotten-luck to take delivery just after they've had a major hardware downgrade that has not been replaced by promised software (and just before a price drop). That's happened a number of times too - like when the original AP that Tesla used (from Mobileye) was replaced by "Tesla own" and all cars had "nothing" for ages (a year perhaps?)

based on what I have seen and read Auto park and Summon have never worked properly

Moebileye park was fine :) Can't remember about Summon ... but because it has been hand-tied-behind-back in UK, compared to USA, I wouldn't have experienced the real thing either ...

Moebileye park was fine :) Can't remember about Summon ... but because it has been hand-tied-behind-back in UK, compared to USA, I wouldn't have experienced the real thing either ...
Auto park can be a lottery even in the USA - it has curbed the alloys on my Daughters' FSD Model X on several occasions & once left the car at 45º into a very busy road for so long that my Son-in-Law had to take control to avoid being hit. Manual parking is much faster & more reliable, even without USS.

Advanced summon over there also proved to be a slow-moving embarrassment on the two occasions I tried it & when I had a two week free EAP trial in the UK I came to a similar opinion about auto lane changes as well. None of these things from Tesla have any value in the UK in my opinion

Basic Autopilot is quite useful once you zone out from the bing-bong noises but Teslas' paid-for autonomy seems like an over-hyped waste of money.

Auto park can be a lottery even in the USA - it has curbed the alloys on my Daughters' FSD Model X on several occasions & once left the car at 45º into a very busy road for so long that my Son-in-Law had to take control to avoid being hit. Manual parking is much faster & more reliable, even without USS.

Advanced summon over there also proved to be a slow-moving embarrassment on the two occasions I tried it & when I had a two week free EAP trial in the UK I came to a similar opinion about auto lane changes as well. None of these things from Tesla have any value in the UK in my opinion

Basic Autopilot is quite useful once you zone out from the bing-bong noises but Teslas' paid-for autonomy seems like an over-hyped waste of money.
A very concise explanation of the disillusionment most of us feel.

Buy the "world's most advanced car" - only to find that the USP is more about Netflix and Mars maps, than any semblance of ability around automation.

Reactions: ikarusk

Buy the "world's most advanced car" - only to find that the USP is more about Netflix and Mars maps, than any semblance of ability around automation.
Take a day off can you. We get it, you hate your car, but do we have to be subjected to your toxic comments every single day. Please please sell it and go and get the PS2 that you covet so much. Then you can moan about that on the PS forums and leave us be...

I’m moving to my third Tesla soon and I’ve never purchased FSD and for me I struggle to see how they could ever truly make it work to the point where you can fully relax with the car in control.
When we are driving there are so many things we pick up on intuitively that I just can’t see how any automated driving would, we see a person driving and just by the type/state of the car/driver, their actions, we instinctively know to watch out for a “wrong one” even on the motorway I find these auto driving functions can’t see much past the car infront were as we as drivers are looking half a mile ahead and adjusting our speed accordingly not decelerating at the last minute.
The only way I see this FSD being worthwhile is if every single car had it on the road otherwise it’s pointless. Just my opinion on it. Also the auto park I tried on a Tesla loaner and honestly the time and result was laughable, not worth it at all.

I’m moving to my third Tesla soon and I’ve never purchased FSD and for me I struggle to see how they could ever truly make it work to the point where you can fully relax with the car in control.
When we are driving there are so many things we pick up on intuitively that I just can’t see how any automated driving would, we see a person driving and just by the type/state of the car/driver, their actions, we instinctively know to watch out for a “wrong one” even on the motorway I find these auto driving functions can’t see much past the car infront were as we as drivers are looking half a mile ahead and adjusting our speed accordingly not decelerating at the last minute.
The only way I see this FSD being worthwhile is if every single car had it on the road otherwise it’s pointless. Just my opinion on it. Also the auto park I tried on a Tesla loaner and honestly the time and result was laughable, not worth it at all.
Was thinking the exact same thing yesterday. Whilst the car screen displays perhaps 2 or 3 cars in front of you, the reaction of the car is purely to the car in front. Now, with 5G telephony, one of the benefits was touted as being the ability for mesh communications to allow rapid dissemination of data such as might be needed for entraining cars. I think Vision has reached the extent of its capabilities with only marginal increases in capability left to exploit. Without a complete rethink, best we can hope for is autopilot lane keeping and cruise control.

The videos of Richard Symons attempting to use autopark were, well, embarrassing doesn't even begin to cover it.

Was thinking the exact same thing yesterday. Whilst the car screen displays perhaps 2 or 3 cars in front of you, the reaction of the car is purely to the car in front. Now, with 5G telephony, one of the benefits was touted as being the ability for mesh communications to allow rapid dissemination of data such as might be needed for entraining cars. I think Vision has reached the extent of its capabilities with only marginal increases in capability left to exploit. Without a complete rethink, best we can hope for is autopilot lane keeping and cruise control.

The videos of Richard Symons attempting to use autopark were, well, embarrassing doesn't even begin to cover it.
👍 I must be one of the few who doesn’t even use the free auto lane assist that comes with every car. I did try using it a few times and the amount of effort to keep touching the steering wheel and the constant engaging disengaging was just annoying. The big instance for me was doing a long trip down the M6 with the family and I was cruising along in my lane and the car without warning/reason violently phantom braked and jerked to the left. The Mrs screamed and said do not ever put that thing on again when I’m in the car 😂 I literally haven’t touched it since. I’m sure it can work but the whole point of these assists should be to make the journey more relaxing and not have you constantly hovering around the break and steering.

To provide some balance, I genuinely enjoy the ease of manually driving a Tesla and much else about two I have owned. My experience these past three years has been mostly positive, certainly with the cars themselves, the charging network & with the people at my two local service centres.

Fully automated driving has never really interested me (& I already have an elderly and cautious relative who can replicate the same degree of erratic driving behaviour if I feel the need for it)

Welcome.

Can I ask, out of interest, how did the summons, which are included in the much cheaper EAP package, make you feel it was worth going for FSD? FSD in the UK gets you, for your extra few £k, sketchy traffic light control and some hopes and dreams.

Sorry you got some crap service, but I do hope you enjoy it overall! I've had mine only a few weeks now and love it! But then I ditched the new order and bought nearly new instead, didn't pay for FSD, didn't have to suffer a new car collection, and I have parking sensors, and am feeling smug! :p

Focus on the positives and enjoy it - it's a great car! Don't be like some of the miserable buggers here :)

Reactions: Wattsisname
Take a day off can you. We get it, you hate your car, but do we have to be subjected to your toxic comments every single day. Please please sell it and go and get the PS2 that you covet so much. Then you can moan about that on the PS forums and leave us be...
No don't hate the car its great to drive and don't consider my comments toxic. What I was disappointed was the experience in purchasing the car and then before taking delivery having functions that were sold at the point of sale suspended. Not having parking aids in London is a strong disadvantage and can be costly to the point that I considered cancelling the order but was reassured by telephone and text that these functions would be available in the New Year.
Lastly apologies if my experience has upset you in any way
Welcome.

Can I ask, out of interest, how did the summons, which are included in the much cheaper EAP package, make you feel it was worth going for FSD? FSD in the UK gets you, for your extra few £k, sketchy traffic light control and some hopes and dreams.

Sorry you got some crap service, but I do hope you enjoy it overall! I've had mine only a few weeks now and love it! But then I ditched the new order and bought nearly new instead, didn't pay for FSD, didn't have to suffer a new car collection, and I have parking sensors, and am feeling smug! :p

Focus on the positives and enjoy it - it's a great car! Don't be like some of the miserable buggers here :)
Hi yes the summons was only available with the FSD package in the UK, I considered it worth the money as having knee replacements getting in and out of a vehicle with doors fully open is much easier on the knee joints. Hence summons would have been perfect to be able to pull the car out of a parking or garage to fully open the door, especially when vehicles park too close. The car is great and has many positives, but its worth highlighting some of the disappointments for others benefits. I am please that you have parking sensors, something that I do miss them very much in London parking, and looking at having retrofit sensors fitted under the bumper if they are not restored soon.

No don't hate the car its great to drive and don't consider my comments toxic. What I was disappointed was the experience in purchasing the car and then before taking delivery having functions that were sold at the point of sale suspended. Not having parking aids in London is a strong disadvantage and can be costly to the point that I considered cancelling the order but was reassured by telephone and text that these functions would be available in the New Year.
Unless you are @CWT3LRs alter ego ( god please no not another one) then that comment you are responding to were not aimed at you?

Hi yes the summons was only available with the FSD package in the UK, I considered it worth the money as having knee replacements getting in and out of a vehicle with doors fully open is much easier on the knee joints. Hence summons would have been perfect to be able to pull the car out of a parking or garage to fully open the door, especially when vehicles park too close. The car is great and has many positives, but its worth highlighting some of the disappointments for others benefits. I am please that you have parking sensors, something that I do miss them very much in London parking, and looking at having retrofit sensors fitted under the bumper if they are not restored soon.

I'm hoping you're just harmlessly a little confused about the terminology of what you wanted/paid for, and not the more worrying scenario that Tesla staff have essentially scammed you out of £3400 by dishonesty or gross incompetence!!

But Summon and Smart Summon are part of the Enhanced Autopilot (EAP) package that costs 'only' £3400 (for currently 2 out of 5 advertised features). You keep mentioning you have bought Full Self-Driving (FSD) which is another £3400 (£6800 total) and only gets you, like I mentioned, traffic light control and some dreams beyond EAP. There is no reason whatsoever for anyone in the UK to buy FSD currently, unless you just like burning money. It sounds like you only wanted/needed EAP, so I hope that's all you paid for, and hope you get your Summons and Autopark (that actually work) soon, but don't hold your breath!

Straight from the website...

FSD.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason71