TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Texas Inspection/Registration sticker process

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Chris TX, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

I had the pleasure (yes, you read this correctly) of having the safety inspection done on my Volt, today. The place I go to is quick and easy. Here's the entire process I went through:

Go to the inspection facility.
    Show insurance card
    Pay $7.00
    Once you pass, they scrape off the old sticker and leave your registration sticker.

Wait a few hours
    Go online and pay for your car's registration.
    The website sees you have insurance and you've passed the vehicle inspection.
    You pay the normal fees plus ~$7.50 for the other half of the inspection.
    You get your registration sticker in the mail 5-6 business days.

I'm sure plenty of you know how this works, but I just wanted to share my experience.
    I look forward to having the single sticker on my windshield, too!

2. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

I wish they would do it the way they already do for classic cars (I have an old Corvette). License plate is good for 5 years and has the expiration date on it. No stickers anywhere.

3. redi

redi 2013 P85+ with HumanPilot Technology

Now if only they would get rid of the registration sticker too. With law enforcement having tag scanners anyway... or go back to stickers on the tags like motorcycles still have.