Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Thatcham approved tracking device requirement slipped into renewal docs by NFU insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been insuring my 2016 Model S with NFU for years and have been very happy with them. This year without warning they slipped a new endorsement into the paperwork saying I need a Thatcham approved tracking device. This was in the small print buried deep in many pages of tedious paperwork. Without it I'm now uninsured for theft! So I called them and queried it. "Oh yes, that's new for this year." I made a fuss and asked if they will accept the Tesla tracking capability (which I assume is not Thatcham compliant). No they won't. The car is locked in a garage 99% of year, and this is stated on the policy. But still they insist I must have a tracker installed.

Any anyone recommend an insurer that will accept the Tesla tracking capability?

Thanks!

LOL. Yeah I'm kind of proud and embarrassed at the same time.
Insurance is one of the things people tend to find confusing. A big part of that is that nobody bothers to read what they are sent. You are 10 steps ahead by understanding your policy.

(I have a couple of decades working at an insurance company here in the states and could tell stories for days)