Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Thinner More Comfortable Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I can barely tell in the pictures it looks like the new seats are cheap and chinsey, reconing back to 2012 model s tesla interiors that I thought were the most generic looking/feeling interior I've sat in since riding in a 1987 dodge colt.

my seat was loose when new. They gave me a new seat under warranty and that one was also loose. So I just have a loose seat
I don’t think the seat frames have ever been redesigned since the originals, only the foam and skins. My current Next Gen seats are much better than the older ones from my 2014 Model S 85.
Tesla sourced several MB parts initially, pity the seats weren’t among them.

Just took delivery, build date 12/19 and have new seats. Played a trick on delivery and said shouldn't the headrests go up and he said absolutely but couldn't figure out why it doesn't move.

Also new seats don't have the back pocket.
Comfort seems pretty good, but I have never really tried older seats. Car has new car leather smell which the model3 didn't, but 3 had white seats so could be different materials.

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
Just took delivery, build date 12/19 and have new seats. Played a trick on delivery and said shouldn't the headrests go up and he said absolutely but couldn't figure out why it doesn't move.

Also new seats don't have the back pocket.
Comfort seems pretty good, but I have never really tried older seats. Car has new car leather smell which the model3 didn't, but 3 had white seats so could be different materials.

Wait... let me get this straight.

They removed the adjustable headrests and didn't even add the seat pockets?

Wait... let me get this straight.

They removed the adjustable headrests and didn't even add the seat pockets?
Not sure how those are really related? I think the goal of the new seats was to be more comfortable and add more legroom to the second row. Head rests probably didn't really provide a ton of use for a lot of cost, so yeah can suck if you really had a specific setting for sure. Seat pockets are another thing, I had them in my last car and never used them, and I've been in cars where they were saggy from kids putting stuff that didn't belong and looked pretty tacky. So I could take or leave em personally. If the new seats are more comfortable that is a much bigger win imo, as that's what they are, seats.

Reactions: RabidYak
I got my 2020 Model S on Dec 21st with the new seats. They are comfortable, the headrests are not adjustable but fine for us. There is no pocket in the seat backs either. We have had 2 observations with the seats. 1) I noticed a rattling noise which sounded like it was coming from the front passenger door. We finally realized it is from the seat belt tapping the side of the seat. There is felt on one side but not on the other. I just ordered some felt from Amazon to place it on the back of the seat belt where it comes up from the floor. 2) I can’t speak for older seats but if they are using new foam, it heats up after sitting for about 30 minutes. It reminds me of an old tempurpedic mattress we used to have where we would sleep too hot. I keep checking to be sure the seat heaters are off. I’m sure it’s related to a new foam that probably isn’t very breathable? If they were perforated that would probably help.

I got my 2020 Model S on Dec 21st with the new seats. They are comfortable, the headrests are not adjustable but fine for us. There is no pocket in the seat backs either. We have had 2 observations with the seats. 1) I noticed a rattling noise which sounded like it was coming from the front passenger door. We finally realized it is from the seat belt tapping the side of the seat. There is felt on one side but not on the other. I just ordered some felt from Amazon to place it on the back of the seat belt where it comes up from the floor. 2) I can’t speak for older seats but if they are using new foam, it heats up after sitting for about 30 minutes. It reminds me of an old tempurpedic mattress we used to have where we would sleep too hot. I keep checking to be sure the seat heaters are off. I’m sure it’s related to a new foam that probably isn’t very breathable? If they were perforated that would probably help.

Check and make sure in the owners manual page 220. Mine has adjustable headrests. 2020 that I picked up in December.

I saw reference in the manual but confirmed mine does not have adjustable headrests. It would be the same button as the lumbar adjustment. Here are some photos, maybe someone will find these useful...

6A2A0E0A-F4A8-4814-8D72-113506657268.jpeg
5EE17B5B-5156-4877-9E5C-C3C60BB30707.jpeg
0BD045FF-113F-411A-9A48-66FB79CAFFDA.jpeg
9AEA4AC4-3657-4319-BA5C-7C96D538190A.jpeg
F1C2D5F7-887A-40E2-80EA-414E51814811.jpeg
ED82798F-DF62-4B21-8668-7200B73F7E55.jpeg