Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Thinner More Comfortable Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s angled forward, which I find more comfortable than it looks like it should be. However, it probably helps if you are someone who actually likes having a headrest. I mean, it depends somewhat on how you position the back, but you are gonna feel that headrest is right there. No wearing a hat with a brim like my avatar.

Thanks for the reply. I'll see how I like it but I have a feeling I won't. Thankfully there's an awesome auto upholsterer near me that specializes in exactly what I need: replacing leather for seats, changing headliner and altering seats. Which is great because that's exactly what I'll need. With those changes the car will be even better...

Reactions: Zer0t
I just thought maybe I should add a final word to this thread… I’ve had my car for a few months now, and I find the new seats remarkably comfortable during long drives. I never got a chance to try the previous revision seats, so I can’t offer any sort of head-to-head comparison, but it’s enough for me that the new seats do look good and feel great.

So sad. Enjoy your outdated old version seats.

PS: no seat pockets is a blessing in disguise, means nobody can throw crap in there that I have to clean out after.

I still like the "kangaroo pockets" in my now-ancient 2015 Model S. No map pockets, but the kangaroo pockets are very convenient for the driver and front passenger for small, thin items, like a pack of wipes or tissues.

I saw reference in the manual but confirmed mine does not have adjustable headrests. It would be the same button as the lumbar adjustment. Here are some photos, maybe someone will find these useful...

View attachment 498503 View attachment 498504 View attachment 498505 View attachment 498506 View attachment 498507 View attachment 498508

From the photos, those headrests look as if they might push one's head forward uncomfortably. Which is why headrests should be adjustable for both height and angle. In my previous cars for the past 25 years or more, the headrests were adjustable for both angle and height, so it is one more feature that a buyer in this price range would expect and that Tesla fails to include. I have been lucky that the fixed head rests in my 2015 are placed such that they are not in the way, but neither are they available for support if i want to recline a tad more.

One other point -- Have a look at headrests in other premium cars, like Mercedes and Volvos, and you will see how the headrests are shaped to capture and support your head in a crash, which reduces neck injuries. Mercedes introduced this type of headrest shape at least 25 or 30 years ago. I have always been quite shocked and annoyed that the Tesla headrests are convex, thus encouraging your head to slide off the surface and not supporting you in a crash. I am amazed that the Feds apparently don't have a rule about his, because the basic purpose of headrests is to minimize neck injuries in a crash.

Reactions: croman
Yet another seat redesign which will still probably not fix the “looseness” issue when they wear.

The new seat design is not loose. Maybe if some folk have smaller foundations than others, but it's an individual point of view. For me, the butt pocket is too narrow, and I'm constantly shifting from sitting on one leg to the other. Can't hardly sit with both legs together without feeling like the side bolsters are cutting off circulation. But I'm "extra large tall". Until they make seats adjustable underneath me, I'll probably always have this problem.

Personally I liked the flatter seats of the 2015 models. I guess that allowed some folk to slide around some, but they were better for me.

Of course, you might be talking about some other "looseness" issue.

Probably one of the last ones off the line with the adjustable headrests. Mine was delivered about a week later with the newer seats.
I have a 2020 LR which was delivered late November and has the older seats with the adjustable headrests and battery revision E. Think they changed over to the newer thinner seats with the non-adjustable headrests shortly afterwards. Then came the new battery revision F which supported upgrade to the LR+ through software update.

Last edited:
I have a 2020 LR which was delivered late November and has the older seats with the adjustable headrests and better revision E. Think they changed over to the newer thinner seats with the non-adjustable headrests shortly afterwards. Then came the new battery revision F which supported upgrade to the LR+ through software update.
Yep can confirm mine came with the -F battery and was eventually updated to the LR+ model. Really wish tesla was more clear with these changes.

Reactions: gbailey
I have a 2020 LR which was delivered late November and has the older seats with the adjustable headrests and battery revision E. Think they changed over to the newer thinner seats with the non-adjustable headrests shortly afterwards. Then came the new battery revision F which supported upgrade to the LR+ through software update.
My car says Long Range + and is a December delivery November build.

Well model years are a funny thing with Tesla. I leased it, the registration and all the paperwork say 2020 but I picked it up 12-7-2019. It has an adjustable headrest.
I'll bet it was not a 2020....probably an inventory car made back during the summer.....in Oct 2019 they started making the new raven I think with new seat and stationary headrests......maybe I could be mistaken but that was my understanding. I ordered my 2020 Model S on 22 Oct....delayed delivery until Jan.....I got a mfg date of 01/20, "F" battery. LR plus.....wonder what I would have gotten if I had taken delivery like I was supposed to in Dec

• Disagree
Reactions: croman
I'll bet it was not a 2020....probably an inventory car made back during the summer.....in Oct 2019 they started making the new raven I think with new seat and stationary headrests......maybe I could be mistaken but that was my understanding. I ordered my 2020 Model S on 22 Oct....delayed delivery until Jan.....I got a mfg date of 01/20, "F" battery. LR plus.....wonder what I would have gotten if I had taken delivery like I was supposed to in Dec

I just checked my “T” menu it and it says Model S Long Range Plus.

The new seat design is not loose. Maybe if some folk have smaller foundations than others, but it's an individual point of view. For me, the butt pocket is too narrow, and I'm constantly shifting from sitting on one leg to the other. Can't hardly sit with both legs together without feeling like the side bolsters are cutting off circulation. But I'm "extra large tall". Until they make seats adjustable underneath me, I'll probably always have this problem.

Personally I liked the flatter seats of the 2015 models. I guess that allowed some folk to slide around some, but they were better for me.

Of course, you might be talking about some other "looseness" issue.
My seat rocks back and forth slightly. Next-gen 2015 P85D seat. Not as much play as my previous flat 2014 S 85 seat but still noticeably loose.

I’m “extra large short” and I find the next-gen to be very comfortable for me.