TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"New Threads" Option

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by aronth5, Oct 21, 2013.

1. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

I suspect this has been brought up before but thought I would ask anyway. Why are there two options that essentially do the same thing?
    1. What's New?
    2. New Posts

It would be very helpful to replace #2 with "New Threads".

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

@doug - The two "buttons" appear to have exactly the same url, i.e. not even a redirect convergence.

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Yeah, they are the same. What's New is essentially New Posts. This is because with vB 4.2, What's New was changed to the Activity stream. Activity Stream - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

But most people actually wanted the same behavior as before. So I manually changed What's New to be New Posts, which is the behavior we've had since about 2007.

New Threads would be a very obvious thing to have, but doesn't exist out of the box. Don't ask me why. We do have a widget that shows new threads in the Forum sidebar under the tag cloud. It shows the most recent five or so.

4. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Doug
    I was unaware of the widget in the Forum sidebar. Just tried it and that is helpful. Thank you very much.

5. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

I think it is very helpful - I wonder if the number "5" is configurable at all. The "Recent Post" widget below it appears to show 10 posts... could this become either a per user setting or if not, could you up the number of new threads shown to 10 or 15?