Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New ticking noise while charging...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TigaFF

Supporting Member
Roadster 1038 arrived last week and all has been well. When I returned from work and plugged in the usual fan noise from the back started but this time there is a ticking sound that is superimposed. The noise seems louder from the undersurface at the back and I assumed that the fans that cool the PEM and motor are running during the time the charger is delivering higher amperage. I am charging using a recently installed Tesla wall connector and a Henry Sharp CAN senior. I have limited the amperage to 48amps. Any thoughts from those with more experience? Possibly debris (leaves etc.) interfering with the fans? Failing electronic component? Doesn't sound like a bearing. but not sure. No problems with charging.
Below is Vimeo link with the sound..

This is the first time I have used Vimeo.. so we will see if I have done this properly
Thank you in advance for any thoughts

Our Roadie-Vac (aka "Hoover") tends to pick up quite a few leaves annually. What we do is back the car up on a couple of ramps, remove the rear bottom panel, and CAREFULLY clean out the offending leaves. Before doing that, make sure the car is cool and NOT charging. Easy job but, I repeat, be careful, and watch the fingers. We use one of those long grabber things like @sethr suggests.

Thank you @sethr and @DeedWest. I have a "grabber in my tool box. Where is the orifice to to reach the fans. I have the original 2 motor setup. (the parts for the fan upgrade have been ordered through the Rockville SC) Do I need to remove a rear wheel?
@ sethr I see that you live close by. Stop by if you need a charge or a beer. @DeedWest you are also welcome if your travels bring you to the East coast

Thank you all for the correct diagnosis. Indeed "leave in the fan". It looks like I have the upgrade PEM fans even though it isn't documented in the service records. Agree?
1038 on ramps.jpg
Leaves in PEM fan.jpg
PEM fan 1038.jpg

Reactions: dhrivnak
That is indeed the single motor configuration "upgraded" fan. The original for my 2.0 #543 was two distinctly separate units.

My impression is that all Roadsters originally came with the 2 unit configuration, but they could have produced some later VINs with the upgrade from the factory. Perhaps someone else who has been studying them longer will know for sure.

I am sure my 2.0 #785 has the two separate fans.
Is this something that would have been upgraded during the warranty?
What is the advantage of the single motor unit, other than removing a motor and some weight?

Thank you,
Shawn