TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New tidbits from the facts page

Discussion in 'Model S' started by AnOutsider, Dec 20, 2011.

1. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

#1 AnOutsider, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
    Since I've been going through and finding what's new there, I figured I'd compile a list:

(hinting at upgradable batteries, so perhaps we can get 400 mile packs in a few years? Keep the S fresh :smile:)

(I remember there were questions about this, and it's also pretty relevant to me since I'm soon to be a daddy)

(So 315 ideal miles on the 85kwh pack)

(For those interested in that Muir red)

(They've officially switched to using capacity and citing estimated ranges)

(Explains the power and warranty differences. Also sort of alludes to bigger capacity packs bringing better performance in the future?)

(I know I've had questions re: this, and it seems the official stance is to top off nightly.)

(For all those worried about Tesla "going it alone" and if they'd have to pay for compatibility)

(Sounds like Roadster owners won't be left in the cold)

2. gmontem

gmontem Model S P01707

Allow me to be the first in this thread to reply with, Congratulations! :smile:

Now please fight the temptation to name your baby from some derivative of Nikola or Tesla. :biggrin:

3. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Thanks for compiling that list so I don't have to wade through it, Outtie.

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

He's already got a name, but thanks! No prob Todd

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

This is news. First time I think they've ever publicly hinted that that may do something to upgrade the Roadster to a more modern connector.

6. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

"The Universal Mobile Connector comes standard with three adapters: Standard 110-V, Standard 240-V, and a J-1772 Charging Station adapter. Many other adapters will be available for purchase. "

This one irritated me. Apparently they're coming standard with a dryer socket (NEMA 14-30) plug, but NOT with a campground socket (NEMA 10-50) plug. Is there anyone who *doesn't* want too get the campground plug?

I'm seriously considering getting a second UMC, actually, so that I can leave one at home at all times while taking one with me at all times. But of course they don't have a price up for getting a second UMC, either.

So I *STILL* don't know how to wire my garage, after all this news! I can rule out the HPC (too expensive for what it gets me), but I have to figure out whether Tesla's going to charge an arm and a leg for the NEMA 14-50 connector.

7. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

My guess would be that it'll be $100, just like it is for today's UMC. With the Roadster, they gave me my choice of adapter free with the UMC, so hopefully they'll do the same for the Model S.

8. clea

clea Member

i missed it ... where did they specify that the 240V connector would be the 14-30 plug and not the 14-50 as it is for the roadster?

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

My suspicion is you'll get the NEMA 14-50, not the 14-30. They were being rather imprecise when they said "dryer plug". Most consumers don't even realize range plugs and dryer plugs are different. They look the same.

At the very least I'd expect them to offer you a choice. After all there is no difference in cost.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Here are some options-related tidbits:

Tech Package has electrochromatic side mirrors

Performance has carbon fiber accents

Leather is perforated

12-way power adjusted seats

Tech package has power liftgate

11. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

#11 Todd Burch, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
    Actually, I think older dryers used the 14-50, so yeah...they were probably just being imprecise in their language. It'll be a 14-50, I think.

12. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I would prefer as I believe that most would to have the 14-50 connector be the standard.

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Just go ahead with the NEMA 14-50. There's no reason to hesitate. My reasoning:

• They almost certainly will supply a NEMA 14-50 plug, not NEMA 14-30
    • The Roadster plugs are $100 each. Surely it won't be higher. It could be cheaper.
    • Worse-case, you can easily downgrade the socket to NEMA 14-30. It would take a few bucks for a socket, and about 10 minutes of your time. Trivial to do.
    • It's a heck of a lot harder to upgrade from 30 amp to 50 amp, because then you have to upgrade the circuit. Absolutely no point in going that route.

14. neroden

Well, we can hope. But when they say "dryer plug", I am entitled to expect that they mean "dryer plug", not "range plug"/"campground plug". :p If it's gross website incompetence, they should fix it.

I guess I'll start sending emails.

15. neroden

OK, good advice. Thanks.

16. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Thanks, included your post in mine. I hope the rear view mirror is also auto-dimming.

17. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

interesting compilation of the changed facts!
    thanks!!!!!!!

18. clea

clea Member

one other thing i noted was that there will be manual sunshades included with the pano roof. Not exactly sure what this means but i assume that this should alleviate some peoples fears of having the pano roof under extreme hot sunny conditions ...

19. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Yeah, I noticed that too. Given the amount of griping about the lack of a shade earlier, I'm surprised it hasn't really been mentioned.

20. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Complaint noise often turns to silence quickly when the concern is addressed. Not surprising.

What I find surprising is that Tesla didn't see the 40kWh supercharger concern as something to address preemptively with a blog post or somesuch.