Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tidbits from the facts page

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
one other thing i noted was that there will be manual sunshades included with the pano roof. Not exactly sure what this means but i assume that this should alleviate some peoples fears of having the pano roof under extreme hot sunny conditions ...

Where was that? I must have missed it because I was looking for it. I have the pano roof in my Q5, and while it is a powered shade in the Q5, I'd be OK with a manual shade in the S. To be honest though, many times I forgot to open it, so for the majority of the time I don't even take advantage of it. If there was NO shade in the S, I sort of saw it as a way for me to never forget it's there :smile:

Where was that? I must have missed it because I was looking for it. I have the pano roof in my Q5, and while it is a powered shade in the Q5, I'd be OK with a manual shade in the S. To be honest though, many times I forgot to open it, so for the majority of the time I don't even take advantage of it. If there was NO shade in the S, I sort of saw it as a way for me to never forget it's there :smile:

In the ROOF section, the paragraph below "All Glass Panoramic Roof" includes "Manual sunshades and wind buffet arm are included."

One other question -- it says that the tech package includes "automatic keyless entry". What if you don't buy the tech package? What do you get then? I didn't get any sense that there would be two types of keys, or that the pop-out door handles would only work with the tech option. Does anyone have any thoughts on insight on that?

In the ROOF section, the paragraph below "All Glass Panoramic Roof" includes "Manual sunshades and wind buffet arm are included."

They must have recently changed that because I specifically checked that section and it still said "shade not included" (or something to that effect). Regardless, I'm pleased with that change.

What is a "wind buffet arm"?

I think it refers to the thing that goes in front of pano roofs and convertibles to help divert air from the cabin.

One other question -- it says that the tech package includes "automatic keyless entry". What if you don't buy the tech package? What do you get then? I didn't get any sense that there would be two types of keys, or that the pop-out door handles would only work with the tech option. Does anyone have any thoughts on insight on that?

It's been speculated that it means you get a keyfob where you press a button to unlock the car. The tech option gets you the RFID key. Seems plausible.

I think it refers to the thing that goes in front of pano roofs and convertibles to help divert air from the cabin.

That makes sense, though they should come up with a better name for that thing. I wonder if it has any significant impact on wind resistance that would impact the mileage estimates?

It's been speculated that it means you get a keyfob where you press a button to unlock the car. The tech option gets you the RFID key. Seems plausible.

That makes sense. Thanks for answering my questions!

key fob

From TM e-mail response:
'With regards to the keyless entry being a technology package option, it is important to point out that this is for automatic keyless entry. With the Technology package, the car will have the ability to detect your approaching with the key, and will present the door handles and unlock itself. Without the Technology package, there will still be keyless entry, but it will require that the driver push a button on the key FOB to unlock and present the door handles.'

Last edited:
From TM:
'With regards to the keyless entry being a technology package option, it is important to point out that this is for automatic keyless entry. With the Technology package, the car will have the ability to detect your approaching with the key, and will present the door handles and unlock itself. Without the Technology package, there will still be keyless entry, but it will require that the driver push a button on the key FOB to unlock and present the door handles.'

so exactly as speculated, cool! Where'd you get that btw? New blog entry?

Here's something I previously missed:

5798078594.jpg

It's going to be capacitive after all! No word on haptic feedback though.

Capacitive is great, Evan... (OK, that's an opinion of course, but here's why):

-Capacitive screens are *way* more reactive to input...they just feel much more natural in use.
-Regarding gloves: You can find gloves that are made for use with capacitive touchscreens. They're not expensive at all and work great. I got some for Christmas.

Here's just one example...the first that came up after a 5 second Google:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM2762875701P?sid=IDx20101019x00001a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM2762875701

Capacitive is great, Evan... (OK, that's an opinion of course, but here's why):

-Capacitive screens are *way* more reactive to input...they just feel much more natural in use.
-Regarding gloves: You can find gloves that are made for use with capacitive touchscreens. They're not expensive at all and work great. I got some for Christmas.

Here's just one example...the first that came up after a 5 second Google:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM2762875701P?sid=IDx20101019x00001a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM2762875701
I'm familiar with those sorts of gloves, but considering I keep a pair of gloves with each of my various coats I'm not keen on buying a new set for each. Frankly, whatever type of screen my Prius has is fine for coarse inputs with gloves. I appreciate the advantages, but I forsee times I'm going to need to pull of the gloves to change the radio, adjust the temp, etc. Not major, but one of those little annoyances. Perhaps I'll just need to switch over my gloves gradually over time.